01 fuel filter

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Does anyone know of an easy way to change this??? The other week I changed it along with my spark plugs, and oil. It seemed to be extremely hard to reach up to the top of the gas tank (with the irs in the way) to remove the filter. i had it up on the drive up lift and it still seemed hard. i am jsut curious what the easiest way to do this is since in the future I will not have access to a lift? Thanks.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
also, how often do you guys replace your fuel filters? i plan on doing the spark plugs ever 10k miles or so, I am going to clean the air filter probably once a year (at least reoil it). Just curious. Thanks.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
change it often, every 10k is fine.

as for tips on getting to it, i can't help you. solid axles rule

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I was planning on doing it once a year, or at least every time i do the spark plugs, so every 15k miles..... It was jsut a pain to get too. There has to be an easy way...

Stitch

Established Member
Its not hard to get to but you can only use one hand. Get a fuel line remover tool (plastic ones are fine). The kit usually comes with 7 sizes for $7-9. I jacked the car up from the rear and put it on stands. Slid my arm through the rear a-arm and worked from there. In all took about an hour.

Yes, solid axle >>>>> IRS for swapping the damn fuel filter.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i have to disagree about the plastic tools. the metal ones are like 10 bux and work soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times better. the plasti cones bend and are just a pain in the ass to press into the fitting.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
quadcammer said:
i have to disagree about the plastic tools. the metal ones are like 10 bux and work soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times better. the plasti cones bend and are just a pain in the ass to press into the fitting.

i've never had a prob w/ the plastic ones..... :shrug:

Wickky

Established Member
yes and they sell them for like 4.99 at autozone u have to get the smaller of the two.... just have them get fuel filter number FF686 and you can tell by just matching them up

Wickky

Established Member
the fact is if ur working on a cobra with irs there isnt allot of room and the metal ones can ease up allot of headache..... if you have a solid axle its a whole different story

Stitch

Established Member
Wickky said:
the fact is if ur working on a cobra with irs there isnt allot of room and the metal ones can ease up allot of headache..... if you have a solid axle its a whole different story

Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread