01 damage history vs 03 salvage title, which one's worth more

BigEag205

Established Member
me and a friend were debating this earlier and I'd like to get more opinions on the matter. Please keep in mind I'm also thinking later down the road collectable/price wise

comparable mileage (within 10k). 03 has more with around 95k
both same color
comparable condition
01 has clean title but carfax shows a damage report due to the front wheel hopping a curb while in possession of 2nd owner (no pics of damage)
03 has salvage title, no story as of now what happened. Had damage to fender and door but seemed to be no structural damage (has pics of damage)

Neither car kept stock so yes that knocks the collectability factor down a bit.

Which do you think will be worth more to hold on to?

Last edited:

96redcobra

Established Member
Salvage title usually looks pretty bad, I turned down a 96 mystic(my dream car) just because it had one. Around here a vehicle will be sold to salvage if the damage is more than 60% the value of the vehicle

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Personally, when you look at the 60 - 70' s muscle cars, before you had this kind of protect me from myself fax crap, you still pay what the car is worth to the buyer.

When the time comes , that the price begin to rise higher than they were when new, the same will be true.
If the repairs were made properly , as Hillary said "who cares" .

Frankly if you need "Car fax " or the others to tell you the car has been wrecked , take up a different hobby.

BigEag205

Established Member
I completely agree with you ashleyroachclip, as long is it's done properly and there's no permanent effects from it, it doesnt bother me...hence why I'm debating it...but you have those people that do. I go by the rule if you're buying a mustang, expct it to have been damaged once, lol

watman02

Established Member
I have owend a few salvage title cars. Never had an issue with one once the damage was fixed! As for collecability/ resale value ya it will never be worth what a non damaged car will but like said above 25 yrs from now it will be just the same as the rest that arnt in a junk yard. I think after like 10yrs the title no longer says salvage. I think?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
After 10 years if a car is deemed a total loss it no longer has to have a branded title. Once it's branded it's always branded no matter how old it is.

Neither of these cars are ever going to appreciate in value and the salvage title hurts the 03 value. I'd go with the 01.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
My mach has a rebuilt title but I had the benefit of seeing the damage in person before and after it was fixed. My damage wasn't that bad. Got the car at a good price because of motor issues not cause of the title

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've had many salvage cars.
Those that try to scare you away from thiem most times have never owned one and only go off of what they "Hear" on the internet.

In this case neither will really be worth anything great.
The 03 has a salvage which lowers its value a little.
The 01 is worth less than a good 03 so I'd put their value close to the same.

Kirk01

Established Member
I imagine in 10 years, neither car will be worth too much unless pristine. I think value comes down to the owner and resale wont matter anyways.

lilbuddy

Established Member
If cars are in similar condition and you want the cars, I'd get the Termi over on 01. If you are getting the car for a good deal and you are going to keep for at least a few years I wouldn't worry too much about the overall value. Get a good deal now, and in a few years you should be able to be OK if you sell it.

zPipes

Established Member
The way a salvaged title works, for example. That 03 was totalled by an insurance company. They paid out the value, i.e. 15k.(example) Then the person buys back the vehicle for like 4k, and fixes it. If it passes inspection it gets a salvaged title. Now if that person trys to sell it to you the car for the full value, thats completely wrong. Id only pay about half of what the full value was. So, Id pay around 7.5 for a fixed up 03 with a salvaged title in this example.

Personally I would take the 01 if they want the same price, but you should be able to nab that 03 for a good deal. As an fyi some insurance companies wont insure salvaged titles, some will but only give you a limited payout.

Good luck.

BigEag205

Established Member
I'm not talking current or a couple years down the road. I plan on hanging on to it for quite some time so I'm interested in thought's of value differences 20+ years down the road. I believe the 03-04 cobras will be sought after much like a 69 mach or something of comparison with it being the first factory supercharged mustang plus known of one of the quickest to date.

lilbuddy

Established Member
I doubt many people will care about a salvage title being on a 35 year old Cobra seeing as there will be so few of them left. There was a thread here about future values of cars and not many think these cars will ever be highly sought after or worth too much.

zPipes

Established Member
^ what he said.

New Edges will not be valued even close to a 69 mach. These are not investment cars, cool yes, but will not be valued as classic in the future.

BigEag205

Established Member
All I have to do is set blaze to all you guys' new edges then mile will be one of very few left...BOOM, instant value spike :fm::banana: haha.

My personal opinion is to disagree with the 03-04 though. I see them being worth a pretty penny down the road unmolested which is already hard to find, only time will tell though. Not many people back in 69 thought they'd be collectors 45 years later either.. Patience is a virtue in this case I guess.

zPipes

Established Member
I hear ya brother, I think most of us can agree to disagree with you lol. BTW, that 1970 gremlin sure is hard to find, wonder if that pos is highly valued and sought after?

lol

Users who are viewing this thread