01+Console Color Matching? Q's

FATPAUL

To The Bat-Mobile!
Established Member
Has anyone gotten the dark charcole console or anything similar and tried painting it black? What did you use?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'll post pics of mine later, I used Duplicolor dye to match. I tried some VHT, didn't like the outcome. Latemodelrestoration sales some dye I hear is good.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Alright, I've got some extra time now. First up, I've got a 96 Cobra, and I got the 03 console. When I first dyed it, the console was darker than the interior. It is since faded (more dull) and matches great. I need to get some new pics, all the ones I have were before I re-dyed it (first used some VHT flat black dye). It doesn't match well in these pics, I'll get some more pics this weekend of the new dye. While this may not be relevant to the question at hand, it is an issue I ran into with the swap. Everything is plug and play except the accessory outlet. I had to cut off the OEM connector on my wiring harness, went to the local parts store and in the Chevy catalog (they had it in the Ford section but it was about twice the price) found an adapter that plugged into the acc. outlet and had 3 wires. Connect those with the stock wires and you're good to go (used a multi meter to match wires). Also, I had to do some minor trimming to get the fog light switch to fit properly. With the 01+ consoles, there will be about a 2 inch gap between it and the floor in the back (hump in the middle of the back seats is shorter than the one in the 01+). Also, this is a great time to do the fog light mod while you're in there (took me a total of one minute to switch two wires). Now I can control when my fogs are on or off (before I could only have them on with the low beams). OK, now for the pics.
96vs-1.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap1.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap2.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap3.jpg

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I've already done this with my Mystic and my '95 Cobras. I tried the LateModelResto paint but it didn't match; they have the 90-93 years black and the 94-97 black and neither of them matched. It was suggested that I get the "vinyl" paint from LMR instead of the "plastic" paint because the vinyl version matches a lot better. I finally tried the semi-gloss black from Krylon Fusion and although a bit glossy, it still works alright. what is the VHT dye that you're talking about? you're not talking about the header paint are you?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Yea, mine was a semi gloss as well (the Duplicolor, not the VHT). Here is the VHT I used, it was a satin black (the semi gloss may have matched better).
VHT SP942 - VHT Penetrating Vinyl Dye - summitracing.com
I'd recommend a semi gloss. It won't quite match for a while, but before long it will fade away and match really well. I had to keep a thick coat of Mothers Back to Black on the VHT to get it to come close to matching.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
yeah I figured I would have to use Armor-all on the rest of the interior after I used the semi-gloss Fusion paint lol.....

Toasty

Established Member
Do not use armor-all on your interior. Period. Do a quick google search for "armorall and cracking". Tires and underhood maybe, but never ever on your interior.

To make my interior pieces look nice, I use the same lanolin leather conditioner I use on my seats rubbed into a soft rag and then applied to surfaces. Looks great and no issues with it drying out the flexible pieces.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I used to have the Armor All wipey clothes but not anymore. I never did it more than about 5 times anyway over the last 4 years. i like using the Meguiars quick interior detail on a microfiber cloth.

FATPAUL

To The Bat-Mobile!
Established Member
OK said:
997684[/ATTACH]
AfterConsoleSwap.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap1.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap2.jpg

AfterConsoleSwap3.jpg

Man i see where they dont match thats interesting. How long have you had them died for? And what would be the main difference between vinyl and plastic paints?

Attachments

• 96vs-1.jpg
    96vs-1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 6

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'm not sure, I'd say I've had it for 8 months. I'll do my best to get some new pics today. I really didn't notice a difference in the two cans I used, just a different color. Those pics are with the VHT dye, I'll get some with the new dye for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread