01 Cobra window problem...

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
I dont post much here in the Cobra section seeing that I am a lightning owner but I have always had great responce from you all when asking a question about my moms 01 Cobra. The driver side window started giving her problems a few weeks ago. It would roll down but it would not roll back up without a little help from pulling on the window. She went to roll it up the other day and heard this loud sound and then something fell into the bottom of the door. My dad and I took the door panel off last night and found a part to the track laying in the bottom of the door. Its the part that is tack welded to the track and has teeth on one edge to ride in the gear on the motor. Has anyone ever had this happen? My question now is, how do you get the track out of the door so we can replace or weld this part back on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. If it cant be welded back together then where would be the best place to find this part? also.. does anyone have any tips or things to check once we get it all apart so we can find out why this part would have broke?

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
mine did the same thing except the the window got stuck all the way down. it happened twice so far. it made a loud crack/clunk when it went all the way down. but if you hold the window switch up and close the door pretty hard it goes right up. i figured this out after i took the entire door panel and window track apart. it seems almost like the window motor gets jammed somehow that i havent been able to figure out/see. hopefully someone who knows more will chime in

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
mine did the same thing except the the window got stuck all the way down. it happened twice so far. it made a loud crack/clunk when it went all the way down. but if you hold the window switch up and close the door pretty hard it goes right up. i figured this out after i took the entire door panel and window track apart. it seems almost like the window motor gets jammed somehow that i havent been able to figure out/see. hopefully someone who knows more will chime in

this has always worked 4 me

dsg_mach1

Established Member
As far as why it happened, it's just a matter of moving parts wear out over time. I'd recommend just replacing it, they're not all that expensive. You can get it from American Muscle for about $90 shipped. Mustang Power Window Regulator and Motor LH (94-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Replacing it is fairly simple, remove the vapor barrier on the inner door panel, then remove the two screws that attach the bottom of the window to the regulator. Pull the window up by hand and tape it to the top of the door to hold it up, then there are three or four bolts through the interior door panel that attach the regulator and motor assembly. Once those are out, you can collapse the regulator and it should slip out the access hole in the inner door. You'll need to disconnect the power wire from the motor, I don't recall whether that's easier before or after you pull the regulator out. Installation is just the reverse of all the above.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
As far as why it happened, it's just a matter of moving parts wear out over time. I'd recommend just replacing it, they're not all that expensive.

I'm not sure about that. These cars did this from new. Mine did it first time at 13000 miles and almost zero windo up/down time. Lot's of guys had the same problem. Smacking the outside of the door with your palm at bottom front will also fix it.

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I know my dad took the panel off a few months ago and hit the inside panel and it started to work. Sounds like taking the track out will not be a bad as I had thought. We plan to tackle this over the weekend so I will let you guys know if we see anything that could be causing this issue.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I would just install a new motor/regualtor unit and be done with it. Mine has never had an issue but bottom line, a working condition unit should never need to be assisted.

dsg_mach1

Established Member
I'm not sure about that. These cars did this from new. Mine did it first time at 13000 miles and almost zero windo up/down time. Lot's of guys had the same problem. Smacking the outside of the door with your palm at bottom front will also fix it.

Actually I was talking more about the fact that the OP stated that the regulator fell apart. I agree the jamming issue is pretty routine with these cars and that banging it will usually get it going again. But when the parts actually break, to my mind it's time to replace it.

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
Actually I was talking more about the fact that the OP stated that the regulator fell apart. I agree the jamming issue is pretty routine with these cars and that banging it will usually get it going again. But when the parts actually break, to my mind it's time to replace it.

I am going to take it all apart and see what I got. I will weld it if I can see for sure that I can align all back up perfect. if not, i will just replace it. I may see about adding a few more tack welds to it just for peace of mind. The three small tack welds from factory seem to be a weak link at this point.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
My drivers window stuck down last Saturday. I slammed the door while holding the button up, and it went right up and has been fine since. Weird.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member

Ah! I should have read the whole thread:beer:

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Mine is stuck down right now, I have tried everything suggested on this thread and nothing has worked. I can hear the motor trying to work but nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread