01 cobra vs neon srt4 for a dd

john123456

Established Member
ok so im wondering what you guys think would be a better dd between an 01 cobra or a neon srt4 and why i really want the cobra but the srt4 would be more practical im thinking anyway thoughts? thanks

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I had a Neon a couple years back (regular SXT, not quite the same but I digress). It got good fuel mileage, but that's about it. I can't see an SRT4 being a whole lot better, plus the fact that most of them have been beaten on most of their life.

I was considering "upgrading" to an SRT4 till I saw I could spend a little more and get a WRX instead. So I went that way. Best. Upgrade. Ever.

My point is, depending on what you need the car for I would seriously consider something else besides the Neon. If you need 4 doors and a 4 cylinder, but want something not so slow, I would look at WRX's and EVO's instead.

However, if you do not need four doors, get the Cobra.

RCRAMIE

Established Member
I have owned a 01 cobra and currently DD a SRT4. I love both of them the cobra is the better choice. Cruise is not overrated in a DD, I know that now. Low 20 MPG in my SRT4.

Don't get me wrong I love my SRT4. It is fun to drive, reliable, and cheap to get into one. I miss RWD V8 and the gas cost is roughly the same.

MikeBard

I have had a SRT-4 for 3 years now. It runs 11.71 @ 121 and gets 31 mpg, but you get a lot of hate. But I digress, this is a mustang forum so you're going to get a somewhat biased opinion. :shrug: If you don't care what other people think its a fun car.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
My best friend has an SRT-4 and it is a nice car but it isn't put together as well as my cobra. If you need to drive in the winter than hands down the srt-4 would be better and it also gets better gas mileage than a cobra would. It all comes down to what your needs are.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Sorry..I remember when Neons came out...Since then I have never like them..including an SRT4.

If in 3 years suddenly a Turbo Smart Car appeared how cool would you think that was?

Similar for me...Neons were lame when they appeared and adding a turbo doesn't do anything for my opinion of them.

Cobra FTMFW.

pbeechner

Established Member
Sorry..I remember when Neons came out...Since then I have never like them..including an SRT4.

If in 3 years suddenly a Turbo Smart Car appeared how cool would you think that was?

Similar for me...Neons were lame when they appeared and adding a turbo doesn't do anything for my opinion of them.

Cobra FTMFW.

Agreed, If you gotta ask, especially on a Cobra forum, I don't think you reallllly want a cobra....

Kirk01

Established Member
Why the SRT-4 is a great car, reliable, easy to mod and fun as hell to drive.

Nothing wrong with srt-4's. But all those reasons you stated apply to the MS3, but in my opinion, the speed 3 is a nicer car all around.

Nxed2

Established Member
there is no similarities in the drivetrain from a regular neon to a srt4. The engines are bullet proof. My curent one runs mid 11's @ over 122mph gets upto 33 mpg and can hual kids, grocery's, a dog, and tools. It reacts to mods like a crack head reacts to uncut crack and takes hardly nothing to run low 12 or even 11's. My last old one was driven daily every day and raced weekly HARRRRD. I put over 100k hardcore miles in that car and could not get it to break. My buddy has nearly 200k on his stock block and runs 11.4's. Do some research on actual owners that have a clue as to what they are saying and make a choice. I have owned 4 different Mustang Gt's/Saleens etc. and still own my "baby girl" 98 Gt. Love them all BUT hate to say the SRT4 NeOn has been the funniest car and, oddly, the most rewarding of all.

As with any car, try not to get one that got beat and hacked to shit.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
The SRT-4's are fun little cars. I drove one for awhile. It was a stage two pushing 18 pounds of boost and was absolutely fun to drive. When you stay off the boost you can average between 28-32 mpg. With that being said they are built like a tin can and if you get in one fender bender it will probably be done. People keep saying WRX's and Evo's but where I am in cali your looking to spend at least 5 grand more for one of those. So I say go with whatever fits your buget and what you are looking to do with it.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
I have owned a 01 cobra and currently DD a SRT4. I love both of them the cobra is the better choice. Cruise is not overrated in a DD, I know that now. Low 20 MPG in my SRT4.

Don't get me wrong I love my SRT4. It is fun to drive, reliable, and cheap to get into one. I miss RWD V8 and the gas cost is roughly the same.

20 mpg.....jesus that's not good. Drove mine to Florida from Missouri and it got a minimum of 28mpg.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
The SRT-4's are fun little cars. I drove one for awhile. It was a stage two pushing 18 pounds of boost and was absolutely fun to drive. When you stay off the boost you can average between 28-32 mpg. With that being said they are built like a tin can and if you get in one fender bender it will probably be done. People keep saying WRX's and Evo's but where I am in cali your looking to spend at least 5 grand more for one of those. So I say go with whatever fits your buget and what you are looking to do with it.

When I was looking a couple years back here in Texas. SRT's were about $8K and comparable WRX's were $10K. You could tell the SRT's were beat on pretty hard as well.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
When I was looking a couple years back here in Texas. SRT's were about $8K and comparable WRX's were $10K. You could tell the SRT's were beat on pretty hard as well.

Yea they are very hard to find in great condition. But in my opinion I think that's the same with any car that has the potential of being modded.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Yea they are very hard to find in great condition. But in my opinion I think that's the same with any car that has the potential of being modded.

Quite true. I was lucky to find my WRX since it was taken care of and not all beat to hell.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Owned mine for 6 years and was my DD.

Drove through 5 winters. No problems in the snow with blizzaks. I even drove through blizzard conditions on farm backroads one night. Never got stuck. I never spun out or ended up in a ditch for that matter.

I purchased it with 33,000 miles and drove it up to 165,000 miles.

The car never quit, it was reliable as hell. I didn't change the battery out until 2 years ago. Still on the original alternator.

Maybe mine was well built, but I can say I never experienced a more rock solid reliable car that you can drive hard and also drive daily. Day in and day out the car performed.

I recently picked up a 2012 Ford Fusion Sport for my daily. Now that the 01 is over the 500hp mark with 4.10's it would have been a little more work to drive in the snow. It is now the nice weather weekend warrior.

Not one spot of rust I must also note. Body has held up incredibly well and the interior leather is spotless.

If you can't tell I say hands down 01 Cobra rocks for DD duty. Screw the keep the miles low and omg snow crowd. :)

Users who are viewing this thread