01 Cobra vs. a 69 Pontiac Fiebird!!!

Cobie03

Established Member
Dream come true for me guys, I always wanted to see what these BIG block muscle cars were capable of. This guy I know has this Beautiful black 69' Firebird and always drives around my block with the exhaust roaring. I was out late one night just cruising and low and behold I happen to run into him at a trafficlight. He asked me to pull over in a gas station and I was like sure. So were bullshiting for like an hour (really cool guy) and talking about our cars. He told me the following; the motor is 400cid with a huge intake coming from the hood (looks those old blowers) Hooker LT's and straight pipes, cranecams fireball ignition, posi rear, gears, (forgot the ratio) and some minor engine work (didn't tell me what). I was just blown away when he lifted the hood because it so freaking clean!:rolling: Anyway to make a long story short I told him about my mods and I asked if he wanted to do a friendly race because the street was desserted. He said sure just once. So we lined up at the traffic light (man was that car LOUD!!!!) and the light turned green and I took off. All I heard was the exhaust from his car and tires peeling like mad. I got the initial jump on him I guess due to traction (NIttos baby) probably a good 2 cars but he was starting to pull me alittle. At the next light and end of race his bumper was at my door handle! He gave me a big thumbs up and talked a little more end of story. I was so pumped after the race that I went to bed with a big smile on my face. :)
I don't know the horsepower or torque these cars have or what they do in the 1/4 but I just wonder how I would do from a roll? The car was sweet and the guy was cool, it was a good night.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Nice run! I used to own a 69 Z28 SS/RS with a 295 hp 350. I swear it was just a bit slower than my Z is right now. You never know what you are going to get.

Jamie33

Up in smoke
Established Member
was it an auto or a stick?

some of those old bigcube muscle cars with high stalls get out of the hole pretty quick.

if he was an auto, youd have an advantage on a roll.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
If he was reeling you in then his "minor engine work" statement is BS. I have a buddy that has the same year same engine Firebird with the turbo500 auto(or whatever it's called) and that thing is slow as hell. If he was coming up on you then he has had to have redone/replaced the heads, higher compression pistons and a good cam.

Cobie03

Established Member
The car was a stick, I wish he told me exactly what he did to the engine. Does anybody know how much those cars weigh? It must be alot.

Users who are viewing this thread