01 Cobra vs. 88 5.0

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
So my 01 Cobra is pretty much stock except for the filter and mufflers. One of my friends from school has this 88 Mustang 5.0 with the full exhaust, intake, short shifter, all the basic good stuff. We get on to an expressway and line up at a light. When it turns green we go for it and he smokes me off the line (damn IRS :bash:) but it did not take long for me to catch up to him and pull away. We got to another light and it went down the exact same way.

5.0 Down! :burn:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
hmmm think about that , ur car is 320hp stock crank. and u have intake and exaust, vs a 5.0 with bolt ons that car makes 225hp stock hmmmm.. I would hope u beat him,U need to race a setup like my to get smoked. 306 h/c/i porting, full bolt ons ,tune, 350+hp otherwise u should be walking 5.0's, esp stock / bolt on.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
hmmm think about that , ur car is 320hp stock crank. and u have intake and exaust, vs a 5.0 with bolt ons that car makes 225hp stock hmmmm.. I would hope u beat him,U need to race a setup like my to get smoked. 306 h/c/i porting, full bolt ons ,tune, 350+hp otherwise u should be walking 5.0's, esp stock / bolt on.

you make no mention of the fact that the Cobra is a few HUNDRED pounds HEAVIER than that fox body.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
ok so this is something to brag about lol. i have a blown h/c/i fox and i know what the numbers were when it just had just exhaust and intake. a whopping 200 hp to the wheels. you should race an ls1 or something dude. either that or a accura tl.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
A full exhaust and geared 5.0 isnt all that slow. With the right driver and tire, mid 13's maybe. Ive seen stranger things than a Fox with those mods pulling 4valves. Good kill OP.

n2o-89fox

Established Member

LoL... but you have the girls version of the 5.0. :lol1:

Qwk GT

Established Member
LoL... but you have the girls version of the 5.0. :lol1:

He gets a better chasis that still has the 5.0, and all the same potential as a fox. (besides the weight)

But yeah, I do think a bolt on 5.0 is not in the same league as the cobra w/those mods. When I just had gt-40 intake, full exhaust, pulleys, and only got 245rwhp, 290 rwtq, so I assume even at that point a cobra would still be out of that car's league w/a decent driver.

Good kill

Last edited:

mysticalsnake

Established Member
i don't understand why you guys are bashing him in the first place? him and a buddy decided to race so they did. Seemed like the kid with the fox might have been the one that instigated it in the first place seeing as how he knows the OP's cobra is mostly stock. Just give him a good kill and be done with it.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
A full exhaust and geared 5.0 isnt all that slow. With the right driver and tire, mid 13's maybe. Ive seen stranger things than a Fox with those mods pulling 4valves. Good kill OP.

Exactly, unfortunately time has gotten to most of the fox's.. Original poster was having fun and took out his friend.. good kill! :beer:

I had full boltons and trickflow intake on a speed density 88 notch and I would walk 4 valvers with gears/ boltons from a roll/stop.... Its all in the combo... mine happened to be 2778 raceweight though ;):rockon:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Exactly, unfortunately time has gotten to most of the fox's.. Original poster was having fun and took out his friend.. good kill! :beer:

I had full boltons and trickflow intake on a speed density 88 notch and I would walk 4 valvers with gears/ boltons from a roll/stop.... Its all in the combo... mine happened to be 2778 raceweight though ;):rockon:

nice man :rockon:

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
A full exhaust and geared 5.0 isnt all that slow. With the right driver and tire, mid 13's maybe.

yes they do all day long, thats common times for a fox with those mods :shrug: they are at the local tracks here every weekend.

blu88notch

Established Member
yes they do all day long, thats common times for a fox with those mods :shrug: they are at the local tracks here every weekend.

An bolt on/geared/rubbered Fox will ET a lot closer than they will trap vs a stock NA 4v. It's light weight and early/flat torque curve will give it the advantage until it becomes a horsepower game.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
An bolt on/geared/rubbered Fox will ET a lot closer than they will trap vs a stock NA 4v. It's light weight and early/flat torque curve will give it the advantage until it becomes a horsepower game.

very true

Users who are viewing this thread