01 Cobra Turbo Build - LOTS OF PICS!!!!

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Looks fantastic so far!

Curious, did something happen to your motor to get you going down this path or did you just want to?

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Looks fantastic so far!

Curious, did something happen to your motor to get you going down this path or did you just want to?

Three years ago, I had my car dynoed and had a massive nitrous backfire, click link below...

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Killspray/Racing%20Videos/?action=view&current=16e0af09.flv

Anyways, the shop said the bottom end was fine and when they gave the car back to me I noticed that it had a "tick". They said it was nothing. I kept bugging them and bugging them telling them to figure out what it was but they kept blowing me off so I just f**k it. Well, over the course of about a year, that "tick" gradually turned into a "knock" and then the motor just gave out. Eventually found out it had a spun bearing. And since I was trying to finish my undergrad and only working part time, I had no money to fix it so it sat for over a year. Then I graduated this past December, found a full time job, put the car in the shop in January and I've been patiently waiting :-D

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
How many runs did you ever make with 150?

No telling... I ran a 100 shot for about a year and then upped it to a 150 shot for about a year with no worries. It ran like a charm. But the first time I had it dynoed, it blew up. The operator hit it at too low of an rpm but a window switch would have saved it. I always knew better to not hit it that low but you never know what's going to happen when a complete stranger is in your car. I learned my lesson the hard way :nonono:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
man i remember watching that Nitrous backfire like it was yesterday!!!!

glad to see you are building that beast the tear some shit up these days!!!

good luck and let us know how she runs!

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
that was nuts! It's good to see your patience in getting the car going again, you will have a great time and it loooks like it will be well worth it!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
wow, looking amazing man! can't wait for it to be done! looks like you had your turbine housing ceramic coated. that's the only thing i wished i'd done with mine(i got the VRS turbo blanket instead). curious how your low boost numbers will compare to mine....

Last edited:

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
have you already purchasedd the manley pistons? Ever thought about a CP Piston?

Yeah, the motor is already assembled. I did think about it but my builder said the manley should be fine. It's hard not to go overboard with a build like this. I could have been safe and went with billet I-Beams, CP Pistons, etc... but like I said, my builder has confidence that the Manleys will hold up. And just for a little insurance, I had the tops of the pistons coated. Worst case scenario, my motor blows up and I'll save up and do it all over again:kaboom:

Please, someone, knock on wood...

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
wow, looking amazing man! can't wait for it to be done! looks like you had your turbine housing ceramic coated. that's the only thing i wished i'd done with mine(i got the VRS turbo blanket instead). curious how your low boost numbers will compare to mine....

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in the thread. Thanks for the comments!! I can't wait to get this thing on the road again :burnout:

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
It will be worth it :beer:

You have built her up the right way :rockon:

Thanks man!!! Yep, I'll numbers this evening! And if the roads dry up, I might even get to try out those new BFGs :burnout:

Red3

Established Member
very nice man. still debating on if i wanna go turbo or whipple with mine. i cant decide which will be more fun for my primarily street car. mostly cuz of the budget also cuz if i had no budget it would def be gettin twin 57's lol

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Three years ago, I had my car dynoed and had a massive nitrous backfire, click link below...

Racing Videos :: 01 Cobra Nitrous Explosion video by Killspray - Photobucket

Anyways, the shop said the bottom end was fine and when they gave the car back to me I noticed that it had a "tick". They said it was nothing. I kept bugging them and bugging them telling them to figure out what it was but they kept blowing me off so I just f**k it. Well, over the course of about a year, that "tick" gradually turned into a "knock" and then the motor just gave out. Eventually found out it had a spun bearing. And since I was trying to finish my undergrad and only working part time, I had no money to fix it so it sat for over a year. Then I graduated this past December, found a full time job, put the car in the shop in January and I've been patiently waiting :-D

I'm assuming that you didn't use the same shop that kept blowing you off for this new build?

Users who are viewing this thread