01 Cobra tune up?

Hunter9003

Established Member
Wondering what you guys would suggest for a daily driven bolt on 01 cobra with 76k miles on her and 93 race tune. What type of spark plugs? And brand? What about plug wires? And what brand coils for ignition? I plan on running a 100 shot every month or 2. Cars in great shape. Thanks a ton!

01yellercobra

Established Member
These cars don't have plug wires. Just the boot that goes from the coil pack to the plug. If your COPs aren't acting up I wouldn't worry about replacing them. I have over 100K on mine and they work just fine. I was going to say a stock replacement plug, but I'm not sure if the 100 shot calls for a colder plug. But then if you're only doing it once in a while at the track then it might be worth having a spare of of colder plugs like NGK TR6's and a set of stock heat range for DD use.

Hunter9003

Established Member
Thank you, that's what I thought about the wires, just wasn't sure lol. How hard is changing the spark plugs and coils? I've only worked on my old 66 mustang. I only need to gap plugs correct? Not time anything. Is it bad if I run the colder heat range daily?

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I have 165,000 miles on the stock coils....save your money there.

Plugs are easy to change I have the NGK TR6's they come at the correct gap but it never hurts to double check.

1hot281

Established Member
Other common tune-up items would include;

-fuel filter (every 30k miles)
-Coolant & thermostat (if green, every 45k miles. If Motorcraft Gold, every 100k or 5 years)
-PCV valve (every 100k miles)
-Serpentine belt (every 150k)
-Rear dif fluid (Every 150k)

and of course oil and filter every 5k or 6 months and engine air filter every 30k.

The recommended service schedule is just that, recommended. Most of the above items can be changed at half those mileage intervals if you drive your car hard, or don't drive very many miles per year...

Hunter9003

Established Member
Better safe then sorry, IMO for nitrous. What should they be gapped at tho? And brand for coils? gms, accel, ford racing, or performance distributors?

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Trust me you will be fine with your factory coils save the $400 there are people running nitrous, blowers and turbo's on factory coils.

If your dead set on blowing the money though get Fords.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Better safe then sorry, IMO for nitrous. What should they be gapped at tho? And brand for coils? gms, accel, ford racing, or performance distributors?

Like everyone said save the money on the coils unless you have misfires or something. For the plugs I run a 100 shot on my DD. I run TR6's gapped to .035.

Hunter9003

Established Member
I'll change the plugs first and see how everything feels, and go from there. Better idea I believe. And thanks on the gap size

1hot281

Established Member
Trust me you will be fine with your factory coils save the $400 there are people running nitrous, blowers and turbo's on factory coils.

If your dead set on blowing the money though get Fords.

This.

Like everyone said save the money on the coils unless you have misfires or something. For the plugs I run a 100 shot on my DD. I run TR6's gapped to .035.

and this.

If you have OEM plugs still at 76k miles, new NGK TR6s will pep things up quite a bit.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Other common tune-up items would include;

-fuel filter (every 30k miles)
-Coolant & thermostat (if green, every 45k miles. If Motorcraft Gold, every 100k or 5 years)
-PCV valve (every 100k miles)
-Serpentine belt (every 150k)
-Rear dif fluid (Every 150k)

and of course oil and filter every 5k or 6 months and engine air filter every 30k.

The recommended service schedule is just that, recommended. Most of the above items can be changed at half those mileage intervals if you drive your car hard, or don't drive very many miles per year...

A bit of a conservative schedule there IMHO.

I would change Fuel filter every 12K or 1 a year..cost $8.

PCV valve every 30K? Cheap as crap too

Diff fluid every 150K? For a stock lightly driven car then sure. But 4.56 gears and 100 shot car? I am guessing but 30K or every 2-3 years?

TRK6 -plugs are copper and with 100 shot I would change every year or 12K-15K? Again maybe $2 per plug?

Stretching cheap parts like that is not worth it to me. Saving $40 a year by stretching parts life is again not worth it to me...Just my opinion though?

Hunter9003

Established Member
Alright I will go pick it up Friday! I'm thinking gap at .050 tho if I'm running the shot very limited times on a specific tune for it

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Sorry to jack your thread, but what is recommended for stock applications? I changed my plugs with the stock motocraft plugs and I'm having cold start hesitation now. So I am thinking a bad gap or a broken plug. I'm going to just change them all again so was wondering what the ideal plug would be at the ideal gap?

Hunter9003

Established Member
I'm thinking gap at .050 tho if I'm running the nitrous shot very limited times on a specific tune for it? .050 would still be drivable correct?

Users who are viewing this thread