01 Cobra Trap Speed

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
There is a guy at my work with an 01 Cobra. He has a densecharger cai, bassani catted x, 2 chamber flows, and supposedly a 90mm throttle body.

He claims he ran a 13.1 in the quarter, which i can def belive. But what kind of power would he be putting to the ground with those mods? And what kind of trap speed are we talking about here.

Thanks
:burnout:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Camaroguy22
and supposedly a 90mm throttle body.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stock is twin 57 mm t/b...you can get the oval bore t/b, maybe it's 90mm tall, but it's much wider than that....but i guarantee he got little or no power off of that...

not having a tune, i'd say he may be somewhere around 290 rwhp...i can believe a 13.1 on Drag Radials, but def not on street tires, and he'd probably trap 102-104, depending on how good it ran from the factory (some are freaks).....

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
I thought it would be around that range. The guy is cool, i ride along in his car for lunch sometimes. Just sometimes he says things that make me wonder, like a 90 mm throttle body on a stock car, or when he tried to argue with me that my camaro had 2.14 gears stock or something. Mine came with 2.73's but he insits otherwise. He also will not tell me his trap speed. He also talks a ton of smack.

I know i would get beat by him, but boy would i love to stick it to him. I was thinking about putting some bfg drag radials on and taking out some of the weight in my pig. I am pretty sure i can beat him out of the hole, but the longer we will race i am sure he will pass me.

Supposedly he ran that 13.1 on street tires spinning most of 1st and 2nd.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Camaroguy22
I thought it would be around that range. The guy is cool, i ride along in his car for lunch sometimes. Just sometimes he says things that make me wonder, like a 90 mm throttle body on a stock car, or when he tried to argue with me that my camaro had 2.14 gears stock or something. Mine came with 2.73's but he insits otherwise. He also will not tell me his trap speed. He also talks a ton of smack.

I know i would get beat by him, but boy would i love to stick it to him. I was thinking about putting some bfg drag radials on and taking out some of the weight in my pig. I am pretty sure i can beat him out of the hole, but the longer we will race i am sure he will pass me.

Supposedly he ran that 13.1 on street tires spinning most of 1st and 2nd.

just be careful putting DR's on and launching hard w/ your weakling 7.5" 10 bolt rear end....

mk2001c

Established Member
I highly doubt a 13.1 on street tires while spinning most of 1st and 2nd.

2FST4GM

Established Member
If he won't tell you his trap speed with minor mods like those, it sounds like he's never been to the track with his car. He probably only knows enough about E.T. from what he's heard from others to tell you that he runs a 13.1 as he knows that would be a good time for his few mods. Since he probably hasn't been to the track, he really doesn't know what to tell you for a MPH. From the Chevy statement you made, it sounds like he's a bullshitter. But you know him best.

tv's 03

Established Member
My 01 with a k&n, o/r H and steeda timing adjuster would easily and consistly trap at 105+. i put on a crank pulley and a densecharger and I am sure I would have hit 106.

I think this guy would do 105-106 without a tune. The 01 tune is not that bad out of the box. I think the 99 gained more with a tune than a 01

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
just be careful putting DR's on and launching hard w/ your weakling 7.5" 10 bolt rear end....

Oh i will, i have an A4, so its much easier on the rear, if i had an M6 drag radials would still be alright because they will still spin some. Our weak rears really run into problems with people get dead hooks.

2FST4GM - Totally agree with you.

tv's 03 - Thanks for the info!

Anybody else?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by tv's 03
My 01 with a k&n, o/r H and steeda timing adjuster would easily and consistly trap at 105+. i put on a crank pulley and a densecharger and I am sure I would have hit 106.

I think this guy would do 105-106 without a tune. The 01 tune is not that bad out of the box. I think the 99 gained more with a tune than a 01

your timing adjuster was probably adding most of the hp that a tune would add...most people have this misconception that the power you gain from a tune is becuase you correct the A/F. While you normally correct the A/F in a tune, most of the gains come from timing adjustments.
w/out your timing adjuster, you'd probably have been trapping around 102-103.....

tv's 03

Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
your timing adjuster was probably adding most of the hp that a tune would add...most people have this misconception that the power you gain from a tune is becuase you correct the A/F. While you normally correct the A/F in a tune, most of the gains come from timing adjustments.
w/out your timing adjuster, you'd probably have been trapping around 102-103.....

Hey quick01, my stock 99 would trap at 102.77 at MAR. The a/f on these cars is where the hp is. These cars are pig rich. There is some tq and power to be gained but the a/f is at least 50% of the power you get from a tune imho. The old 5.0 really responded to timing adjustments, but the mod motors are not as affected by timing adjustments. My guess is that my t/a added 1 tenth and 1 mph. The o/r H probably added 1.5 mph.

Don't get me wrong a timing adjuster is a nice tool, but I don't think you will get as much power as you will tq outta one, which also adds mph at the track. But to suggest that a timing adjustment will gain you 2-3 mph is unrealistic imho

Users who are viewing this thread