01 Cobra Transmission Help

01CobraFlow

Established Member
I just got my cobra about 2 weeks ago w/ about 90800 some miles, the car was fully stock minus head unit, back bumper, & intake. I was wondering today while I was driving why my clutch was making this weird noise. It only happened while I was in neutral at a stop with my foot on the clutch. It would make a squealing noise, while I don't no much about transmission I was hoping that wasn't the issue. The noise would only happen while in neutral with my foot on the clutch, once my foot was off the clutch & just on the brake I didn't hear the noise. I have heard bad reviews about the 01 cobra's tranny & with 91,400 some miles its probably around that time for the trans to give out, any ideas guys? I'm really not trying to spend any unnecessary money.

Plans for the future:
New clutch (exxedy mach 400 stage 2)
Short shifter

Would any of this improve my life expectancy of the trans?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
If you are only seeing issues described above it is most likely the throw out bearing not the trans. Does it shift smoothly with no grinding or hesitation? These trans normally make some noise while driving in gear but nothing terrible, though an aftermarket shifter will make it a bit louder. The throw out bearing is not too expensive and not hard to change but the trans has to drop to change it. Get the OEM Ford one, and make sure the outer race is centered on the inner hub of the bearing when you install it and you should get a long life out of the new one.

I know some people dog the 3650 trans but it really is not too bad. The 10 spline input on it may be the weakest point but will still stand up to a little abuse and power under 400 rwhp. It is just a little notchy shifting even when new.

Last edited:

01CobraFlow

Established Member
Yeah I don't have any grinding while I'm shifting there all clean shifts, at random times while driving & stopped at a light when I'm about to put it into first the car makes a lot of noise when the clutch is all the way down.

Users who are viewing this thread