'01 Cobra TR3650 & rear end power limit

Teksid89

Don't Tread On Me
Established Member
I need a no shit answer on what the stock trans (TR3650) & rear end can handle (lb.ft/hp) I've seen some specs that say 360lb.ft but I know people put more through on the Reg. Looking to add some significant power this season so need to know! Thanks

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I wouldn't expect much more out of it.
It is a direct replacement for the T45.

It also really depends on your driving habits and use (DD, Strip..etc).

FYI: The same folks who rebuild the T45 at the thet45source are rebulding T3650 at thet3650source.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I make 470ft/lbs with my stock 3650. I have probably sprayed my car 70 times with no issues.

ddeem

Established Member
I am building a 2001 Cobra as well and expect around 500WRHP. I have been reading up over the last year and it seems the limit on the TR3650 is the input shaft which can snap when you get to the 500 area. It is mostly due to the torque and can happen on a hard launch with DR's or a downshift. Companies make an input shaft with 26 splines that is supposed to support well over the 500 mark.

I just rebuilt my IRS and would have been concerned to run high horsepower with the stock bushings. The differential was loose since the rubber was so dry rotted on this now 13 year old car. The Ford Racing cover and cross member support can be added along with new bushings to support significant horsepower levels.

That being said, there are many running 450WRHP with stock components. These cars are getting older now though and the rubber is getting softer if it is original.

Users who are viewing this thread