01 cobra tie rod question

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
I have a 01 cobra, only 30k miles. Was doing maintenance and checking everything I did the tie rod test moving the tire side to side. Noticed a little bit of play.
My question is how much play should there be? I moved the tire up and down to check ball joints it's solid as a rock. Should it also be that solid when checking the tie rods? Just curious?
And when I say I can move it I mean just a little bit no noises or anything.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've always checked the tie rod ends by using a big pair of channel locks and squeezing against the spindle. If it moves up and down the tie rod is worn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
Tie rods seem fine after double checking.
I've been able to somewhat locate a squeaky noise I've been looking for I checked the ball joints they are fine and no noise over bumps.
After about 25+mph I can hear a noise almost sounds like a rock stuck in a tire tread or a bad bearing in a pulley.( yes checked and replaced those ) When I turn the wheel towards the left and let it drift on the drivers side noise goes away. When I turn towards the right and I let the car drift towards the passenger side i can hear the noise. I'm just guessing here but I think it's the wheel bearing hub.
Also It's very early on, the noise is not loud at all, actually have to have the top down and the radio off to even hear it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread