01 cobra tapping noise. Can't identify

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I'm trying to identify this tapping noise I'm hearing. I tried everything from changing the oil, sea foaming the crankcase before an oil change, checking compression, running the car without the serpentine belt to check for pully issues, taking a rubber hose to try and identify the location. I can't figure this out. It sounds like its coming from the intake area of the car. This is driving me crazy. I'm about to check the oil pressure next but any advice is appreciated.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
It's more of a rattling clinging noise. And it goes away when it's warm. It doesn't do it at idle. Only at about 1900 rpm and when u let off the gas it'll do it a little on its way down to idle.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Loose body in Cats? I had a rattling sound because part of the internal part of the catalytic converter had broken loose.

I think as exhaust flow increased, piece would get pinned inside cat, then fall as I dropped RPM.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I'm about to give up on this car and just get rid of it. I can't deal with the problems I'm having with it anymore. Now coolant is leaking out of the cap again.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
try disconnecting each ignition coil one by one, see if the noise goes away per individual coil, it will help pinpoint it to a location.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I pulled the drivers side plugs and it seemed to get worse when I did. I'm going to do the passenger side when it cools off again since the noise is gone.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
44BB0E2E-5B83-45FB-A195-8D0D8BEEB69C-6657-0000031C26FFF780_zps02c34fef.jpg

Is that it? I noticed the filter is leaking too. The guy at the shop did a great job doing my oil change. When I unscrew this is a lot of oil gonna spew out?

Users who are viewing this thread