01 cobra t56 swap

01cobra88

Established Member
i understand from reading most of what is needed for the t56 swap, but i can't seem to find anywhere saying if an 03 driveshaft will bolt up to 01 rear diff they both have 31 spline differential right? and if not can get some help on where to get what i will need?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
The driveshaft should be the right length. You may have to change U-joints though, I cannot remember.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I used the 03 driveshaft in my 01. It fits fine. I also used the 03 pinion flange because the 01 flange is too small. If it makes any difference my car had a TR3650 before the T56. They are both 31 spline. The 03 pinion flange allows you to use the proper size U joints from an 03.

01cobra88

Established Member
well i'm buying a driveshaft off ebay from an 03, will it come with the 03 pinion flange and the 03 u joints or will i have to get those from somewhere else?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
It should have the U joints still on it unless the seller swapped them to a different driveshaft. It probably won't have the pinion flange. I would ask the seller what it includes. The pinion flange is under $100 thru Tousley Ford, or it was 4 years ago when I bought it. The U joints you can get anywhere. You just need them for an 03/04 cobra.

01cobra88

Established Member
thanks a bunch i'm trying to make sure i can get everything a need without it costing to much got offered a t56 for 700 bucks and i just cant pass that up

so far what i all have down is 03 crossmember, tranny, 03 driveshaft, and now 03 pinion flange, so that should about wrap things up right?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
thanks a bunch i'm trying to make sure i can get everything a need without it costing to much got offered a t56 for 700 bucks and i just cant pass that up

so far what i all have down is 03 crossmember, tranny, 03 driveshaft, and now 03 pinion flange, so that should about wrap things up right?

You need a shifter and maybe a clutch if the T56 you get has a 26 spline input shaft. If its 10 spline your stock clutch is ok. Other than that I think you are good to go. Make sure the T56 comes with the bellhousing. They aren't one unit like a TR3650. If it has no bellhousing you can probably get one on here. Lots of guys run the steel ones as an uprgrade. Also the 03 flywheels are an option. I have a Fidanza aluminum with the center section that you can remove rather than resurfacing.

Its a very simple swap to do. No different than a clutch swap and the pinion flange if you do it.

01-CobRa

understood.

so, let me better understand this.. I can use all the parts from the T56(clutch, flywheel, cross-member.. ect..) and use my stock drive shaft to swap out my TR3650 from my 01 Cobra?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
so, let me better understand this.. I can use all the parts from the T56(clutch, flywheel, cross-member.. ect..) and use my stock drive shaft to swap out my TR3650 from my 01 Cobra?

Not sure on the driveshaft, I used the 03 one. The 01 shaft may not be the right length for the swap. The 03 one is aluminum too which made it more appealing to me. It all bolts up fine. You just have to run the wiring to the passenger side of the T56. I didn't have to do any cutting or modification to make it fit. It was like doing a clutch swap and adding on the 03 cobra pinion flange.

01-CobRa

See the thing is, I've read in other forums where they do this swap on a gt. They say the reason they needed a drive shaft is because the gt doesn't have irs.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
See the thing is, I've read in other forums where they do this swap on a gt. They say the reason they needed a drive shaft is because the gt doesn't have irs.

You have to use the cobra driveshaft, its 1" shorter. Like mention aboved, its aluminum, and has stronger u-joints, why would you not upgrade to it... I just got a clean one off ebay for $126 SHIPPED. If you have the driveshaft, then all the only thing you would need to attach it to your IRS would be the pinion flange posted above. I just did this, easy as pie.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member

You need to figure out what youre going to do about the reverse lockout solenoid too. Some get an electric box that doesnt allow reverse to be accessed below 3-5 mph, but thats over $100, and they were having a lot of problems with them a little while back. You can wire up a switch to the brake light, but then you can still hit reverse downshifting from 6th-5th on the brakes. I just removed the spring from the reverse solenoid and put in a softer spring. That way I have some resistance getting into reverse, but I dont have to push overly hard to work past the solenoid. PM me if you have more questions about this and I'll send you a ton of links on it. Good luck

Last edited:

01-CobRa

yeah, I have looked for a driveshaft but, was unable to find one under 300.. If you know of anyone trying to sell one, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread