01 cobra strange noise

Dunbar

Established Member
Ok so its a whining noise, while at idle or while driving. Doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or not will still make noise, about every 10 sec while at idle. When I first start the car the noise doesn't start till after it drops down to idle rpm then every 10sec it will make the noise. Also when I turn off the engine and everything is done moving it will do it one more time, but may be lower pitched and a bit longer.

Anyone have any ideas? I have searched all over the internet and can't figure this out. I don't think its the throw out bearing b/c I can push the clutch in and it will still make the noise. its an 01 cobra, and the noise seems to be rear engine/ tranny housing area. Even had it up on a lift, I have no idea.

Ok well we thought it was the pilot bearing. So I went ahead and order my SPEC stage 3 clutch and alum flywheel with all new bearings. Well after install the noise is still there so back to square one. Could this be a leak in the intake manifold gasket or something? So maybe thats why once I'm above a steady 1.5k rpms it goes away because there is enough suction to keep it from leaking? Its driving me crazy! I can't for the life of me figure ot out and everyone that takes a look says its strange and they have never heard this before. Its not a tick, or knock, or hiss. Its a high pitch to low pitch sound like a pod of orcas!

Cheers,
SGT Dunbar

Dunbar

Established Member
Thanks for the reply,

Nether my AC or Defrost is on and will make the noise no matter what, its coming from the rear of the engine, and it will make the news one more time after I turn the engine off and no parts are moving.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
Dunbar said:
Thanks for the reply,

Nether my AC or Defrost is on and will make the noise no matter what, its coming from the rear of the engine, and it will make the news one more time after I turn the engine off and no parts are moving.
That does sound like a vacuum leak, they are not easy to find; try to check them systematically.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
You can try taking a can of brakekleen or carb cleaner and spray it on the vacuum hoses and around the intake, if the car idles up while spraying a certain area thats where you will probably find the leak.

Users who are viewing this thread