01 Cobra SC

01 Cobra SC

Hi There, newby from Pickering Canada.
Question, i just picked up a 01 Cobra w/ a Vortex V2, and the oil breather drips oil down the valve cover after running the car. Understanding the that the motor needs to breath, does anyone have any suggestion of capturing the oil or rerouting some how?
PMO that i have to wipe down the valve cover evertime i finish driving it...:??::??:

Thanks,

NukeGuard

Established Member
Three options:

1. Replace current setup with factory PCV valve configuration
2. Install catch can setup. Use the search function on the site. Lots of threads about this. If you go this route, you'll need to use option #1 along with the catch can.
3. Keep wiping your valve covers.

If you're having that much oil coming out, you may have some underlying problems. I don't run a PCV or catch can setup and I wipe away a little oil vapor about every couple months. Lot's of blow by is not good.

Last edited:

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Forget that damn catch can BS. Looks hideous under the hood anyway. Get some prefilters from JLT.

those just trap in the oil,and dont vent valve cover pressure. I have two of them,and I was told by another member on this board who talked directly to JLT about it,that it wouldnt be optimal for Forced induction performance to run pre filters.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
it sound like you need to check the condition of the breather filter and the grommet. My guess is the filter its self is oil soaked or the leak down the valve cover may be due to a leaking seal between the cover/grommet/filter [if all looks good there could be a largewr issue at hand]. Also, if this is the case, hooking up a 'normal' PCV or even prefilter will still mean you have signifigant amounts of oil blow by running through your intake which would be bad.

01 Cobra SC

I installed a catch can and piped from the pvc side. Left the valve cover breather on and still find it passing oil when I stand on it. I'll have a look at the seal/grommet again.
I have a K&N breather, anyone suggest anything other type?
Thanks,

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Catch can, Steeda makes a kit or there's a thread around here of how to make your own.

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
those just trap in the oil,and dont vent valve cover pressure. I have two of them,and I was told by another member on this board who talked directly to JLT about it,that it wouldnt be optimal for Forced induction performance to run pre filters.

I don't understand how they wouldn't vent. I'm S/C as well running two prefilters, one on each valve cover with the factory PCV setup. Wouldn't normal driving under vacuum still vent the crankcase?

Users who are viewing this thread