01 Cobra Ride

GoonMX

Established Member
Alright i went to check out a 01 cobra today with my dad and let him drive it since im not sure how rough ill be since its been a while since ive drivin a stick and didnt want to just take the guys car out if we arent buying it that day.Anyways, im not sure if i was just him gettig used to it but he said the clutch felt like it engaged higher than he is used to. He says that he thinks there is a chance that it is decently worn, but the thing is the car only has less than 10k miles on it and was supposedly babied and taken care for(only touched rain once). He has driven many manuals, and drove a dodge ram manual for a couple of years(and about 300k miles), but could it be that he has never driven a car like this and its just different? I would think it is worn but its a very low mileage and just about perfect car.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
every car has a different clutch release.. even each cobra. take it to a shop and have them check out all that they can and from all that they can tell, i bet you could make a good decision on whether or not it was ran hard... doesnt sound like it tho

GoonMX

Established Member
yea i doubt it was ran hard because this car was this guys baby. the only flaw on the entire car was 2-3 minor scratches on the rear bumper which he was pissed about. even the undercarrage was near spotless.

i do plan on taking it somewhere to have it fully checked out. where would be the best places i could just drive in and have them check it out on spot?

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i beat the livin sh*t outta mine and I don't really think you can push on the clutch a few times and determine it. I'd be feelin the shifting of the trans more than the clutch release. But these 3650s are whiney hard to shift little bastards anyway.

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
Dont sweat it. If you had a dozen Mustangs and Cobra's lined up and drove all of them, each would have a slightly different realease point.

But have a mechanic give it a once over just to see if there are anythings the guys covering up, and check out the rest of the car.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Take it to a transmission shop. Mechanics dont specify in transmissions, transmission shops only do transmissions so they can tell right away if its fine or not.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
A quick & dirty test of clutch wear would be to start the car, put it in fourth gear and at idle let the clutch out. It won't hurt anything at idle. If the car dies immediately it's likley okay but if it stumbles a bit it's likely starting to go bad.

You should also use the clutch self adjuster just to make sure. Just pull upward on the clutch pedal until it sort of snaps into place. This is supposed to adjust the slack out of the clutch travle.

GoonMX

Established Member
kinda of old topic, but im probably buying the car next week so i wanted to ask about the above post. you say you can adjust it by pulling upwards. will this automatically set it where it should be or could it go too far and make it suck?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
GoonMX said:
kinda of old topic, but im probably buying the car next week so i wanted to ask about the above post. you say you can adjust it by pulling upwards. will this automatically set it where it should be or could it go too far and make it suck?

No, it's built in to the system so you can over do it, just pull up on the pedal until it sort of "pops" into place. You can even do it more than once, it won't hurt anything since it's a built in adjusting mechanism. I do it on my car every month just for good measure.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
if it is the stock clutch set up then yes. Not if it has the aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster.

but on the stock one, it is self adjusting, so you pull up on the clutch while the car is in 1st gear, turned off, and when you pull the clutch pedal upwards it will click to tell you it is adjusted

Users who are viewing this thread