01 Cobra- Reliability?

Mattz

Established Member
Originally posted by fatboyq
Best deals on any Cobra's by far is on Corral.net I dont know why but they sell cars way cheaper on there than dealerships. a 01 with 24k miles with light mods DSG Cobra went for 17k. there are a few other 01s for 17-18K pretty good in my book the 99 are 16-17 some as cheap as 14K I saw on there had 70K miles.

Yeah I keep an eye out on all those websites. I'm really just looking at the 01's, and only want to buy red or black as far as color goes.

Mattz

Established Member
Alright guys tell me what you think about this deal, 01 black Cobra, 14k miles, garaged, excellent shape, 4.10 gears, bassani exhaust. Has two "worn" tires. He's about 1400 miles away. He's asking 17900 but would go down to 17500?

01mnrelgraycbra

Established Member
The only major problem I have had was I lost the ream main seal after 38k and I didn't get the extended warranty. When I had it replace, only $275, they found a burr on the end of the crank and over time it just ate away at the seal.
Other than that, I've had no problems at all after several open track days.

motorcitycobra

Established Member
Just picked up my '01 on Tues. 33k miles. Engine had been replaced 6k miles ago under warranty. Same issue of two bad rod bearings. Rest of the standard warranty is expired but the warrantly on the engine is good for another 2yrs/30k miles.

This rod bearing problem a common issue for that year?

wallie40

Established Member
I have had mine since 2001. I have also been throu 3 trannies. 1 window motor, both halfshafts replaced, multiple 02 sensors.

I lost 1st and 2nd gear syncho's at 1200miles. I was in a brand new Explorer for 4 months b/c they couldnt get the right parts. Car broke 2 months later, same problem. Again new Explorer for 3 weeks. Trans went again 4 months later, and again new Explorer for 1 month. I threatend to lemon law the car(in CA) and for paid for a year of payments, exteneded my warrenty for 5 yrs past the 3 yr with no deductable which includes rental. Hell i take it in with Paxton on it and they still work on it like they dont see it they are so damn afraid of me. Since then i have 16k on the car and have had no probs with the drive train(cept for the halfshafts). I did somehow break the clutch saftey start switch, but that was a quick fix and ford had my car back in a half day.

This car is a love/hate relationship. Thankfully i cant bring myslef to sell it.

I have a crap load of mods and they never flich:

Bassani X
Bassani Cat Back
Bassani Mid headers
Steeda Springs
Steeda SubFrames
Steeda Triple Hook Clutch Quadrant and Cable
3:73 Gears
Steeda Caster Camber Plates
PHP IRS Brace
Drive Shaft Loop
Ported and Polished Intake
SHM Stage 1 Cams
Paxton Novi 1000
Steeda Tri-Ax
Phantom Gauges

I dig my car. and now it is fast as hell! And a cage going in next Month!

Good luck.

Got Boost??

-PAul
novi1k.jpg

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
If you can buy the car right, who cares what's wrong with it? Did you know you can buy a complete engine and tranny brand spanking new from Ford for about $5800?? I've seen them shipped for that price! And I mean it's complete! Wiring, exhaust, accessories, shifter, even the ECM I believe! For that price, if I still had my 01 I would buy one and set it aside so I could really play with my existing one.

Mattz

Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert
If you can buy the car right, who cares what's wrong with it? Did you know you can buy a complete engine and tranny brand spanking new from Ford for about $5800?? I've seen them shipped for that price! And I mean it's complete! Wiring, exhaust, accessories, shifter, even the ECM I believe! For that price, if I still had my 01 I would buy one and set it aside so I could really play with my existing one.

Well when I am spending 18k for a car, I really don't want to worry about engine troubles and stuff.... especially when your young and poor like myself.

Mattz

Established Member
Looks like I've already found myself a car. 2001 Cobra, black exterior, charcoal interior. New tires all the way around, 14k miles, garaged kept. We're supposed to be going and picking it up at the end of the month, I'm excited :)

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
well, just this month, my left tie rod, right ball joints, and driver side window regulator went out on me.. bad luck I guess

Users who are viewing this thread