01 COBRA recent head swap secondery Timing chain broke off with sproket HELP!!

2001cobra2001

01 COBRA
Established Member
having some problems with my head swap recently swapped my 01 heads for some 03 heads well everything was looking good, started the car and it was running good a litle ticking at first but the it went away. after letting the car run for a while i turn it off and let it cool for a while then i go out for a test drive a the car dies and doesnt want to turn on take off the passenger valve cover off and i see the secondery chain and sprocket are broken need some advice i dont want to thing the worst so any help will be appreciated thanks..

oh one more thing from prying foward on my my tranny release lever trying to get my clutch cable back on i have knocking noise in my tranny but it goes away after pushing on the clutch.. thanks again..:shrug:

hotcobra03

Established Member
i had that happen..dont ask...loose bolt of frozen cam

i had found the adjuster also cracked on inside,,those are 100 bucks each..odds of valve damage very high,,,goodluck

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
If you lost a timing chain you almost definitely have bent valves. Get a compression checker on there and see if you have compression. My bet is that you will have low or zero compression on all four on that side and the other four are probably fine.

I just went through this. Brand new timing set (the whole kit) and I had secondary chain break. Had to have that head redone but the rest of the engine was fine.

Lemme know if you have more questions, I'm starting to get the hang of working on these motors. I'm working with a machine shop and doing my own assembly/disassembly.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Lemme know if you have more questions, I'm starting to get the hang of working on these motors. I'm working with a machine shop and doing my own assembly/disassembly.

We become the experts if we keep them long enough!

Users who are viewing this thread