01 cobra questions???

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
Long story short my 99' cobra has been sold and is gone.

I'd love to get another cobra and want an 01'.

I'm looking at these two in my area, both are in my price range and was wondering what you guys think.
If anybody could carfax these or anything that would be great.
On the mineral gray one, i noticed in the pics that the rear tail lights dont have the amber turn signals in them, i know my 99 had them and thought 01s had them too. Could that possibly mean this guy got rear ended and replaced the tail lights with just GT taillights, or did some 01s come without the amber turn signals.
Also what do you guys think would be a fair price on these two cars.
Anything i should look for to be wrong with them when i go look at them?
Red
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...ors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=7
Gray
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...ody_style=COUPE&doors=&fuel=&lang=&cardist=25

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
03 costs more $$$ which i am a little short on now.
I don't feel the need to wait and save up for an 03.
i just wanted some opinions on these cars.
besides if i want a supercharged v8 i can just drive my dads new jag(XJR)

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
Hey, I got this info for ya...

Gray--
This coupe has had 3 owners and was owned in Illinois. It was originally registered by the owner for personal use.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 10,220 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 02/03/2005, was 35,000 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON.
Its basic warranty has expired. You may want to discuss an extended warranty with your dealer.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Red---
The story of this 2001 FORD MUSTANG COBRA SVT (1FAFP47V71F236566) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This coupe has had 4 owners and was owned in Georgia, Tennessee and Illinois. It was originally registered by the owner for personal use.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
CARFAX found an inconsistent odometer reading. CARFAX is uncertain whether this reading represents a rollback or a source-level clerical error.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON.
Its basic warranty has expired. You may want to discuss an extended warranty with your dealer.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

I just had some free time so figured I would help ya out. I likle the look s of that mineral gray much better. Nice interior. But it does have a few more miles. I got an 01 Black Cobra with less than 12k miles on it for exactly 18k about 3 weeks ago. I live in kentucky but bought it about 20 miles north of Detroit. I dont know if it was the area or what but it was a pretty good deal I think considering this car was totally immaculate in every way. ANyway, I looked at another on up there that also had 12k on it and they were only wanting 17k for it. That was only 3 weeks ago and it was on autotrader. May want to check that out. It was black also.

CobraG

Established Member
That's about what I paid for mine, the Red one that is, I bought mine with 29,200 miles on and paid $19,600. Only mod on it was the straight pipes. Runs like a dream, I like Red so I say go with that one, but I'd drive them both first.
Your lucky, when I was looking, the next best thing to the one I got was a 98 with 45,000 miles for $18,500

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
you may also think why would you sell your 99 cobra for an 01 when they are essentially the same thing and i agree with you, but the choice to sell it was not mine, the long story short was my mother threw me out of her house and sold my car against my will.
also i am only 17, insurance will be sky high on an 01 let alone a f***in terminator and it will cost too much.
the few things that bothered me about my 99 have been fixed for the most part in the 01 and i would like to own one, also if anyone in the chicagoland area knows of an 01s for sale for under 20 grand post em.

Duncan_McDougal

V.O.L.V.O Abuser
Established Member
Anyone noticed the grey one doesn't have the stock taillights anymore. Does this strike anyone as odd? All accidents aren't reported and the cobra tail cost twice what GT and V6 taillights do.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
Thanks for posting the car, but im just not liking those hood scoops.
just my preference, but thanks for the post.
the other thing is i just don't like the look of mustangs in black
but everyone is entitled to their opinion thanks for the help tho

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Fast99 -- I just went out to my garage aNd looked at the tails on both my 99 and 01. Both have amber in the lenses. Sooo, something has happened to the 01. I like the grey better, but you may need to have some worries...

I'll keep my eye out for you. Check out the classifieds on chicagosvt.com.

Duncan_McDougal

V.O.L.V.O Abuser
Established Member
They want to much money for them both. If you have the time to wait Iwould because there are 01's coming on the market all the time with less than 33k miles on them for 17k. Hell there was a guy on this site that just sold a 01 with 8k miles for 16.5k

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
i plan on waiting about a month to go buy the car but i want to start looking and getting in the market for one

i figure these cars dont sell well in the winter and might be able to pick up a deal on one because they arent very practical winter cars.

and i wont be driving it in the snow anyways thanks to my suburban that i'm driving now and would keep for the winter if i bought a cobra.

Tyler Manwell

4.6 DOHC
Established Member
I got mine off ebay for 16000 and it had 38000. The plus is the motor spun a bearing and it has a new Ford racing crate motor and the clutch was replaced at the same time. You can find some better deals if you look around. If you bought one of those I would buy the grey. Just my .02

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Im kind of partial to the red(cause i have one). Its the same car as mine. Its got the polished rims, the parchment interior and the tiallights are correct. Yeah its had 1 more owner than the MG but has less miles. There were only 356 cars made in that color combo and even less with the polished rims. Drive them both and choose which one suits you better.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Duncan_McDougal said:
They want to much money for them both. If you have the time to wait Iwould because there are 01's coming on the market all the time with less than 33k miles on them for 17k. Hell there was a guy on this site that just sold a 01 with 8k miles for 16.5k

i agree on all counts... :rockon:

Ellik

Established Member
I just bought my Mineral Grey '01 w/ 22k miles for $17k. It was listed at $20k, but they came down wanting to get rid of it before winter.

CobraG

Established Member
A lot depends on location, here in Colorado, the one I got was the best deal I could find, $19,600 for an 01 with 29,200 miles, the next best was a 98 with 45,000 miles for $18,500. 03's were still going for $30,000
So maybe for your area that's not a bad price. Or I guess you could wait until the new Cobra comes out, but even then how many people are going to be able to afford that so I wouldn't expect everyone to be jumping from their 03/04's, just my opinion

FlTireGuy

Established Member
Duncan_McDougal said:

Yeah..that WAS a good deal, and I was the buyer..LOL.. NICE car..:)
:-D

Users who are viewing this thread