01 Cobra Question

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
01 Cobra guys.... Bone stock what do your rides put down to the wheels ? Secondly, how much of an increase would you see by adding a Mac 2½" Catback with o/r Mac Prochamber and a CAI ? A buddy of mine has an 02 GT with Flowmasters, Mac o/r H-pipe, 4:30 gears, Mac underdrive pulleys, and a Mac CAI... He's wondering how he would fair against the Cobra (from a dig and roll race) with the above mods he has and the mods i listed for the cobra... and if the cobra had 4:10 gears, how would that also affect the outcome ?

Thanks

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Not an exact comparison....
My brother had an 01 GT w/ 3.73 gears, timing adjuster, u/d pullies, K&N CAI, magnaflow O/R X and catback. My 99 had stock catback, K&N CAI, and stock 3.27s. I walked him hard, didnt matter from a roll or from a dig. The thing that was most evident when racing was the DOHCs higher redline, my cobra was still pulling to redline while he was having to shift. He knows how to shift, probably better than I did at the time.

If the Cobra is stock geared and the GT has 4.30s the GT should get a good jump but I still see the cobra reeling in the GT, if the guy driving the cobra can shift. If the cobra has 4.10s versus 4.30s the shift points will come into play and the Cobra will over take the GT very quickly. Thats a whole lotta "ifs" best way to find out is to run 'em.

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
03-SilverSnake said:
01 Cobra guys.... Bone stock what do your rides put down to the wheels ? Secondly, how much of an increase would you see by adding a Mac 2½" Catback with o/r Mac Prochamber and a CAI ? A buddy of mine has an 02 GT with Flowmasters, Mac o/r H-pipe, 4:30 gears, Mac underdrive pulleys, and a Mac CAI... He's wondering how he would fair against the Cobra (from a dig and roll race) with the above mods he has and the mods i listed for the cobra... and if the cobra had 4:10 gears, how would that also affect the outcome ?

Thanks
the cobra will walk hard up top... hey man ive seen your car on preston a while back... :D

SteveChris

Established Member
if its fairly stock but has 4.10s i'd say itll still pull away they really wake up the 01's even makes the vert feel light

CobraG

Established Member
I traded a 00 GT for my 01 Cobra, stock for stock the Cobra would take it. I think even a GT with gears would get beat by a stock Cobra.
I have tried to get a couple of GT's to race me but they didn't want to :shrug:

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Blackgtmustang said:
the cobra will walk hard up top... hey man ive seen your car on preston a while back... :D

Oh have ya... that's cool... well maybe we'll run into each other this summer.. if you see me or vice versa, stop for a chat... i'm always up for meeting new
mustang junkies like myself.. :-D

jd93gt

Established Member
I've raced a GT from a dig with 4.10's, off road x, catback, cai.. I had catted x, catback and cai at the time, stock gears. We both went at the same time, he jumped out in front, as soon as I got into the powerband in second I reeled him in, once I got into the power band in third I blew right by him. By the time I shifted into 4th he was waaay back.

4.30's are a bit short for a GT... But I guess if driven well he'd have a better chance at beating an 01 Cobra with stock gears. If the cobra has gears, he's got no chance as long as the guy in the cobra can drive.

There's just no easy way to make up for a 60 hp difference... some cams and a new intake would help :beer:

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys... this was a discussion a buddy of mine and me were having... he has the GT... we got to talking about 99 and 01 Cobras and the scenario came up.

Users who are viewing this thread