01 Cobra problems.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
no joke, you might want me to take a look at it.

That sounds pretty bad.

Depends on where in the motor it is, it could be chain tensioners, a broken tensioner guide, a spun bearing, or something entirely different.

The strainer during the oil change will tell you quite a bit.

Shadow01

"Low Life" Air Force Vet
Established Member
I wouldn't mind having someone thats worked with these cars a bit more look at it, but it would only work if you were around my area since I don't really want to go that far with it. Also does anyone know any good shops or a mech in the Central NJ area that will do it for a decent price, and faster than 6 weeks?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
where in central jersey do you live? im up in lyndhurst.

p.s., i know a great shop in brick, NJ that can handle it all, but im sure how quick he is because hes busy with tons of work.

Shadow01

"Low Life" Air Force Vet
Established Member
Damn, thats a bit too far for me. I'm in Long Branch.

Do they rebuild the engines in the shop? The second place I took it to, that qouted me on the 6.4k and 5+ weeks said he would have to send it out to the middle of the county (cant recall the state) and thats where most of the time is involved. Whats the name of the shop and phone?

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
First, that does sound bad. Timing chain/tensioner possible, but my money is on a spun bearing.

You said it was a quart low when you checked it. How much did you put in it on the last OC, and how long ago was it done?

Shadow01

"Low Life" Air Force Vet
Established Member
Update:

Just got back from leaving it with the 3rd person. They believe it to be a valve thats at the top. The knocking was on the Air intake side. I was told besides the knocking the engine sounded healthy and the damage shouldn't be that great. The knock wasn
t loud enough to be a rod and since it was coming from the side they didn't believe it to be the bearing. So instead of over 6 thousand and over 5 weeks they are going to fix it for around 2 thousand and a week at the max.

EDIT:

Also while driving it to the place I had no radio on and had the window down. The rattling would stop a few times for around 30 seconds or so and go back and on the parkway (kept it easy, didn't push it) the sound was completely gone until I started slowing down. The stopping of the rattling didn't seem to have any pattern to it. Also the stalling problem on decel/idle seems to kick in once i go over 40.

Last edited:

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I had an intermitent rattle like that that turned out to be my ac clutch. Did you make sure and check the sound while the A/C was off? Just a suggestion that might save you some money.

Shadow01

"Low Life" Air Force Vet
Established Member
Yet another update.

I just got a call from the guys working on it. Its not a valve. It was the hydraulic adjuster.

And as for the sound with AC off..didn't have the AC on.. Is this a normal problem for these to go on these cars? Was it just bad luck or anything different I can do to prevent it from breaking again?.

Users who are viewing this thread