01 Cobra oli leaks :-S

agent-orange

Established Member
Hi Guys

I had an appointment at the local car inspection, here in Switzerland. And those guys found some defects, which I have repair.

I have several oli leaks. One is at the differential where the drive shaft comes in, then at the trans where the drive shaft is connected, between trans and the rear of the oli pan and at the front of the oli pan around the front cover.

Can someone tell, what can I do about the leaks at the diff and rear trans? Is there a seal/gasket or something like that, which I can replace?

It looks like, that the gasket of the oil pan isnt good anymore or what you think? I have to say, that I installed an eaton last summer and I had to remove the front cover for that. Could it be, that the leak is in the front around the timing cover and the oil just flows to the rear of the oil pan, so that it looks, that there is also a leak?

I took some pics, where you can see what I mean.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thanks for any help

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
It's really hard to diagnose a leak from a picture, ecspecially if you couldn't find them in person. The best advice I can give you on that is clean the suspected areas really well and then keep an eye on them to see where you're starting to leak from.

The one at the differential sounds like the pinion seal, and the one at the back of the trans sounds like it could be the tailshaft seal.

Stanger00

Established Member
Should of wiped them down before you took it in for inspection.

Does your car leave stains on the ground after you park?

If your car doesnt leave stains on the ground than a quick wipe of those areas should be able to remove the appearance of a leak. To me a leak constitues 1-2 drips per minute.

Looking at those pics it looks as though you could of saved yourself some hassle if you wiped it down.

The rear differential has a pinion seal but you may have to replace the crush sleeve when replacing. I dont recal the specific torque of the pinion nut but I know its tough to do in the driveway.

The transmission has a tailshaft seal and thats fairly easy to replace...Be prepared for all of the fluid to pour out when you remove the driveshaft.

The timing cover may be leaking from the seal around the crank shaft. Its hard to tell.

When I lived overseas in Germany I was able to source parts at the local parts store. Not sure if you will have the same luck. I knew a Swiss woman who has a lot of knowledge of how to get parts from Mustangs. I cant recall her screen name on here...Found it send a PM to this person if you need more help. N/Angel

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
Thanke for the tips. The car doesnt leave stains, but 2 weeks ago I wiped the oli away from the rear of the oil pan and when I was at the car inspection, there was some oil again. I've done an eaton swap, so I had to change the front cover. But when I installed it, I didnt put some RTV seal or something like that on the bottom of the cover, where it touches the oil pan. But it could also the front main seal, cause I didnt use a new one, when I installed the front cover. When it would be the oil pan gasket, can I replace the gasket without put the engine out?

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
I dont think it would be the front main but the acutal sealing between the dampner and timing cover.

However, if you think it is the oil pan I think the best direction to go is to drop the k-member. You could do this by using a strut tower support bar to hold the engine in place while you lower the k-member. Its a lot of work just ot replace the pan gasket. But it soulds like a ton of work to fix the timing cover gasket as well!

I had pinion seal go bad on me and caused a huge mess. It wasnt nearly as bad as yours. Wire brush and chemical degreaser may help get rid of an appearance of a leak. Yours seems to me more of a residual from years of use.

agent-orange

Established Member
I just saw that I have a seal for the front main. I think it could be the front main seal, cause when I installed the Terminator front cover I didnt changed this seal, so I could be this seal. I hope it isnt the oil pan, I think the oil flows somewhere from the front to the rear of the oil pan. Maybe it the front cover or the main seal. BUt when I replace the front cover, do I have to put some RTV at the points where it touches the oil pan? About the pinion seal, when I change it, I also have to change the crush sleeve or?

agent-orange

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread