01 cobra header install

00stang

Established Member
finally going to install my headers. was wondering if dropping the k member is the best route to take. i have a lift at my house and all the tools i should need. if i drop the k member what have you guys done to support the engine?

tistan

Established Member
There is a tool you can buy that goes between the fenders and attach to the engine. That isn't how I did mine. I hooked a engine hoist to the engine so that I could easily lower the motor and give me more room to reach the top header bolts. The frame rails kind of make it difficult to get to some of the bolts.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
This is what lots of people have used, but I had a hard time finding it in store and I didn't have the time to wait for shipping, so I made my own out of 2x4, chain, and eye bolts - worked like a charm. I used the alternator bolts at the front of the engine as support points.

1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar

And yes, I would personally recommend dropping the k-member to do the header install. While you're at it, if you have any front suspension mods you might want to tackle, or perhaps install an aftermarket k-member, now is a great time.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Drill a 3/16" hole on each side of the rear lower K member down through where the bolts go into the subframe. Use these holes to realign the K-member when the headers are on. This is invaluable in saving time when reinstalling the Kmember and getting it squared back onto the car.

Ive done this on three cars now and it works great.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Drill a 3/16" hole on each side of the rear lower K member down through where the bolts go into the subframe. Use these holes to realign the K-member when the headers are on. This is invaluable in saving time when reinstalling the Kmember and getting it squared back onto the car.

Ive done this on three cars now and it works great.

Good tip - def. easier then having to pull out the plumb bobs and align it a la the MM instructions.

01CobraRJ21

Established Member
are headers really worth getting with all the hassle that you have to do? I'm thinking about getting them and not sure if I should or not...do they make that much of a difference?

Petro-head

Banned
are headers really worth getting with all the hassle that you have to do? I'm thinking about getting them and not sure if I should or not...do they make that much of a difference?

Yes they are worth every penny. A lot of people dismiss the headers because they claim that they dont make good power or something in the neighborhood of that.

But the other advantages are; engine breaths way better than stock, extracts heat and you cant beat the sound of them. I should have done them earlier

01CobraRJ21

Established Member
Yes they are worth every penny. A lot of people dismiss the headers because they claim that they dont make good power or something in the neighborhood of that.

But the other advantages are; engine breaths way better than stock, extracts heat and you cant beat the sound of them. I should have done them earlier

ok but I mean all I have is a CAI, off road x, and catback...I can see if I had boost or something like that so do you still think its worth it?

Petro-head

Banned
ok but I mean all I have is a CAI, off road x, and catback...I can see if I had boost or something like that so do you still think its worth it?

If i was in your position, i would still do it just for the sound of it. Its very easy to do it with the Kmember dropped. I know its sounds like hard work, but it really isnt. GOT FOR IT!

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I've dropped the k-member and installed an aftermarket unit, and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's more time consuming than anything else - once you get under the car and see how the front suspension goes together, it's not a big deal at all.

00stang

Established Member
dropped the k member in less than an hour, manifolds off and headers test fitted. having my drivers side welded up this week bc i do not like the "slip fit" that flowtech has on the 2 back tubes. should be on by early next week

zPipes

Established Member
What inspiration. You make it sound so easy. And its your first time. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy about doing mine soon. Times wasting must be done by Mustang week. I have a bunch of shit in the garage it seems I keep buying but not installing!! Keep up the updates, thanks!

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I want to do headers too. I figured, if I were to remove my engine when I do the clutch, I could just throw headers right on.

00stang

Established Member
What inspiration. You make it sound so easy. And its your first time. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy about doing mine soon. Times wasting must be done by Mustang week. I have a bunch of shit in the garage it seems I keep buying but not installing!! Keep up the updates, thanks!

My first time with a mod motor...im also an apprentice tech so i do this on a daily basis at work just on regular cars. but if you have the luxury of a lift it really isnt bad at all. support the engine(i used a top engine support), drill the holes like previous post said, un bolt the steering shaft, tie up the rack out of the way, take off calipers abs sensor tie rods and shocks and your ready to drop the k member.

00stang

Established Member
havent had much time to work on it lately, but got the headers on, had a hell of a time with the egr tube. the stock manifold mounting was a little different than the long tubes position so had to some some custom fab(shouldve just deleted the egr). and will be the last time i ever buy used exhaust, the mid pipe that came with it is bent so not sealing properly and for some reason my be a little longer on the pass side because it will not let the last 3 mounts on the tail pipes mount properly. so will do some custom exhaust work to make it all work till i can spare some $$$ for a new mid pipe.

zPipes

Established Member
Ouch. Not liking the sounds of that much. Ive been looking for used headers so that I can send them off for jet hotting, I've heard the factory ceramic usually doesnt last for crap. Maybe I should get new instead of used. Would you say that I should get what I need to delete the egr before I start this job? Or is it something specific to your application?

00stang

Established Member
not sure about other brands of headers but where the egr tube mounts on my flowtechs was different. it came off the header about 2-3 inches where the factory was about inch then threads. ill try to post a pic. also go with a header with a ball and socket style flange where it meets the mid pipe. it seems almost impossible to get a flat flange with a gasket to seal(this is why i will never buy again used bc mine wont completely seal). i know bbk headers have this style flange.

today i finally got everything squared away and I LOVE the sound of my car now. before it was a bbx o/r x into flowmaster delta(my attempt to quiet the sound down) and it had a cackle on decel that i hated. now with the flowtech headers and o/r x into the same deltas there is no cackle and a little quiter but has a new awesome sound to it. there is a slight leak where the collector meets the x pipe but im going to roll with it for now, and the driver header is hitting the floor pan so i get some vibrations but nothing i cant live with for now. after cussing this car up and down dealing with the egr, the payoff more than makes up for it

00stang

Established Member
you can see the difference in where the egr mounts. (shitty cell phone pic)

533752_336515259731539_100001192032962_858993_1582487431_n.gif

Users who are viewing this thread