01 cobra, get to low 12's?

racinmasonc

Established Member
Hey guys i just got a mineral grey 2001 cobra and just wondering how much it would take to get down to at least a 12.3 in the quarter. my plan for this summer is long tubes, exhaust, intake, 4.10 gears. that enough or do i need more?

mkb116

Established Member
The bolt ons you listed plus some drag suspension. Front coilovers, tubular A-arms, drag shocks/struts, rear control arms and launching on some drag radials and you will be damn close. Might want to build up that IRS or go solid axle before you get to crazy though.

wma8706

Established Member
Full exhaust, CAI, pulley, 4.30 or 4.56 gears, solid axel or built IRS, drag suspension, weight reduction, Drag radials and a good tune with excellent driving will get you there!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Do you just want a 12.3? You can get a 12.3@107mph or you can get a 12.3@115mph. Depends on if you want traction to get you there or simply power. 15" drag wheels or 18" chrome street wheels? Alot of ways to get there...

wma8706

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Do you just want a 12.3? You can get a 12.3@107mph or you can get a 12.3@115mph. Depends on if you want traction to get you there or simply power. 15" drag wheels or 18" chrome street wheels? Alot of ways to get there...
I vote for maximizing traction so you could take full benifit of your horsepower. 12.3 @ 115 would take either power adder or internal work up and be wasting HP through lack of traction. Its like the dyno queen supras with impressive peak HP but run in the 12's. @ 120+. Look at your budget then decide. Bolt ons will get you there. Power adders will get you there more easily but cost more $. with impressive dyno numbers.

Orlandostang

Established Member
Maybe a little OT but,

How much power would be needed to take a New Edge with a road race suspension and tires to the low 12s?

For example see my sig, would about 450-550 get me to the low 12s?

I ask b/c I am not a drag racer, nor do I want to be, but the 1/4 is a good measure of acceleration and I want more w/o having a "drag" setup, so please don’t recommend I get DRs, solid, ect. Thanks

Jamie R.

Established Member
Why just 4.10's? You can go low 12's without a poweradder. I would get a tune in that car also. Get aggressive with it when take it to the track and you should start getting to your goal.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Orlandostang said:
Maybe a little OT but,

How much power would be needed to take a New Edge with a road race suspension and tires to the low 12s?

For example see my sig, would about 450-550 get me to the low 12s?

I ask b/c I am not a drag racer, nor do I want to be, but the 1/4 is a good measure of acceleration and I want more w/o having a "drag" setup, so please don’t recommend I get DRs, solid, ect. Thanks

Define "road race" suspension and tires.

Orlandostang

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Define "road race" suspension and tires.

Oh sorry, firm springs and shocks and non DR tires, like in my sig.

I guess what I am asking is how much power would I need to get into the low 12s.

I've heard with a drag (loose) suspension and DRs a good driver with 300-350 rwhp will be in the low 12s, but what about us non drag guys.

I hope that makes sence.

Thanks for the help.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Orlandostang said:
Oh sorry, firm springs and shocks and non DR tires, like in my sig.

I guess what I am asking is how much power would I need to get into the low 12s.

I've heard with a drag (loose) suspension and DRs a good driver with 300-350 rwhp will be in the low 12s, but what about us non drag guys.

I hope that makes sence.

Thanks for the help.

Its going to depend on your gears also. No road race car will have 4.30 gears. If you had 3.73 gears and a road race suspension on radial tires I honestly think it would take no less than 470rwhp. But you never know, that is just a guess.

Orlandostang

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Its going to depend on your gears also. No road race car will have 4.30 gears. If you had 3.73 gears and a road race suspension on radial tires I honestly think it would take no less than 470rwhp. But you never know, that is just a guess.

Thanks for the input. :beer:

racinmasonc

Established Member
so whats best for driveability... meaning rpm wise vs 4.10 or 4.30??? what rpms are you at, at 70 mph???

i'm pretty sure 4.10 or 4.30 is going to wake this car up in a heartbeat! the car already breaks the tires free in WOT in 1st gear. and yes i'm used to hondas okay? :) not used to real torque! haha

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
racinmasonc said:
so whats best for driveability... meaning rpm wise vs 4.10 or 4.30??? what rpms are you at, at 70 mph???

i'm pretty sure 4.10 or 4.30 is going to wake this car up in a heartbeat! the car already breaks the tires free in WOT in 1st gear. and yes i'm used to hondas okay? :) not used to real torque! haha

i have 4.10's with 440 rwhp and its perfect.
go with a 4.30 min if your staying N/A

and with 4.10's im about 2700 rpms at 70
and right about 3000 at 80
with 4.30's your not going to be much higher than that.
maybe 3200 at 80

J

Stopsign32v

Established Member
racinmasonc said:

4.10s

4.30s or even 4.56 gears will definately make you faster N/A but they will make it a pain to drive daily IMO. 4.10s are perfect for driveability.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
but if your looking for a quick 1/4 mile time dont go with 4.10's
4.10's cause you to shift right before the traps.
and in my case my 1/4 mile times were worse with 4.10's compared to 3.27's because of that.

J

Users who are viewing this thread