01 Cobra Engine Boosted

JohnEagle

Established Member
I have a stock 01 Cobra engine with 03 supercharger set up. What are the motors limits?

01 Cobra Engine w/6 Bolt Crank
03 Ported Supercharger w/Complete 03 fuel system set up
Stock Lower Crank
2.93 Upper Pulley
Kenne Bell BAP
3:73 Gear
Stock Manifolds - No cats - Flowmaster Exhaust

Those are the basics and right now I am sitting on 486HP w/ 450 Tq.
How much more can I go before I bend a rod or something else gives? I want to toss on a 2.76 upper and have it retuned. Yes or No?

Thanks
John

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Yeah you're already past whats considered the "safe" limit, usually after 450 things start breaking.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Such a hard question to answer as there are so many variables, but I think youre much closer to the engine going poof than I'd want to be.

Mine popped when it leaned out with a vortech and roughly same numbers. Forged now! I think 450rwhp is generally considered riding the fence...

Posted via Topify using Android

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Was your short block rebuilt at one time? Cobras had an 8 bolt forged crank. GTs and automatic Mach Ones had a cast 6 bolt crank.

JohnEagle

Established Member
Yeah my tuner is really not wanting to turn it up anymore. I think he actually made 500 hp but turned it down a notch and lowered the rev limiter. So far the car has done pretty good. I have made about 20 plus 1/8 mile runs and it's stayed together.

There is a long story behind the car. It's actually an 03 Cobra... or was at one time and I found out the hard way that it doesn't have the correct engine in it.

Thanks for all of the input.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
JohnEagle said:
Yeah my tuner is really not wanting to turn it up anymore. I think he actually made 500 hp but turned it down a notch and lowered the rev limiter. So far the car has done pretty good. I have made about 20 plus 1/8 mile runs and it's stayed together.

There is a long story behind the car. It's actually an 03 Cobra... or was at one time and I found out the hard way that it doesn't have the correct engine in it.

Thanks for all of the input.

I would actually be curious to hear this story...or at least the cliff notes of it.

Posted via Topify using Android

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
its a short story
guy blows up 03 cobra
guy trades in "03 cobra with auto mach 1 motor" to the dealership
car still looks and sounds normal so the OP purchased car
OP finds out car is not terminated

JohnEagle

Established Member
its a short story
guy blows up 03 cobra
guy trades in "03 cobra with auto mach 1 motor" to the dealership
car still looks and sounds normal so the OP purchased car
OP finds out car is not terminated

Yep that's the short story. The car was sold to me as factory unmolested. Not even close. Anyways I ran a camera down the spark plug holes and it concave pistons not flat tops and I ran the camera through the bottom of the engine through the rear main plate and it has the skinny ford rods.
The transmission needs rebuilding as it shifts crappy and is noisy as heck.
I just had the gear put in along with everything else in there because the spider gears were shot and the cover was cracked. Thanks to my friends at RPM of Georgia the car is running and driving as well as it can in its current condition.

procharged 99

Established Member
Op that's bs I would make the dealer make it right even if They didn't Know you still got scamed. It's Not right they're still at fault in my book.

JohnEagle

Established Member
Op that's bs I would make the dealer make it right even if They didn't Know you still got scamed. It's Not right they're still at fault in my book.

Yeah well I didn't find out about the engine until after I had the car for a couple of years and went to install a clutch and flywheel and the flywheel did fit lol. Too late then. I am lucky like that.

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
This brings up a question. I have an 01 cobra and the only mods I have are gears, Bassani cat back, and Bassani Catted H Pipe. Would I be safe to throw on a Supercharger on it as is or am I asking for trouble not doing something else first to help the engine handle the additional horsepower.

this is a daily driver right now by the way with 76k on the car.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
This brings up a question. I have an 01 cobra and the only mods I have are gears, Bassani cat back, and Bassani Catted H Pipe. Would I be safe to throw on a Supercharger on it as is or am I asking for trouble not doing something else first to help the engine handle the additional horsepower.

this is a daily driver right now by the way with 76k on the car.

Depends on boost level. 8 psi or 450 rwhp are the most quoted numbers. Would need new injectors and fuel pump.

Many thread in here about 99/01 Cobras going to forced induction

Users who are viewing this thread