01 cobra driveshaft work with 04 cobra IRS?

Slowings

Established Member
So a past owner did a solid axle swap to my car, I've recently purchased an 04 IRS to convert it back, is my stock driveshaft compatible with the IRS?

I'm quite new to this so I'm sure I'll be blowing this forum up with technical questions and what not once the real work begins/nears this winter when I start making all the modifications I want to with this.

Thanks in advance!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The pinion flange is different between the 99/01 and 03/04. The flange on the 03/04 is bigger. You'll either need to change the pinion flange on the 03/04 IRS or use a hybrid u-joint on your stock driveshaft to use the bigger flange.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Slowings

Established Member

Slowings

Established Member
awesome thank you! Pretty sure you've helped me before too, so really, thanks for helping out a newbie to all this!

01yellercobra

Established Member
No problem. Just a heads up, double check the driveshaft length. I can't remember if the SRA shaft is longer. If you need one the aluminum shaft for the Foxbody will work. If the PO didn't swap driveshafts then ignore this post.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes the driveshaft will work you only need to swap in your pinion flange

FinnCobra

Established Member
Replace the crush sleeve when changing flange. I didn't and had to rebuild the pumpkin. Bearings were rather new but tension wasn't strong enough. One summer at events was enough.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're careful you don't need to swap the crush sleeve. That adds a lot more work to just a flange swap. A buddy and I replaced the seal on my IRS. That was about 5k miles ago. No issues yet.

shurur

Established Member
If the guy who swapped in the SRA kept the Original DS (44.5"), then you will be fine lengthwise, but not flangewise.
If he brought in a GT DS (45.5"), then you will need something shorter or you will have no needed slop.

The 03-04 cobra with T56 is 43.5" and has the larger flange for the Terminator IRS.
Aside: The 03 terminators had 27 (GM) count vice 31 count (FORD) front pinion yokes/output shafts.

You need a 99-01 (T45/3650) DS with the larger 03-04 IRS flange installed.
You will need to mix and match..

The measurement is from center joint to center joint as I recall...

Last edited:

Slowings

Established Member
Still has the stock ds

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

shurur

Established Member
ok.
The 99-01 cobra DS used 1330 U-joints, while the terminators used 1350 U-joints.
A Hybrid 1330/1350 U-joint is available to get you to the bigger terminator IRS flange.

shurur

Established Member
Which ever one seems like less work...and maybe least invasive. It's up to you.

You may pick up a beefier AL terminator DS someday that will fit that terminator IRS flange....either way, you probably know to keep everything.

Users who are viewing this thread