'01 Cobra, Best Setup For Street Ride/Corner Carver

Steve1578

Established Member
Hey Guys,

So I've been thinking a lot lately about my build and I've decided to go more in the route of a "reliable" street/corner carver rather than an all out drag-focused car.
Currently, the car has a few suspension mods like H&R springs, koni shocks. What are some other good mods to get started with? My ultimate goal would be to make around 350-400 rwhp, but do so reliably. I'm thinking a SC on low boost if I can't hit those numbers with full bolt-ons. I'm OK with the power output as of right now, which is still stock. I'll probably throw a set of gears & a solid tune at it and then go FI a little further down the road. What are some good mods to start with overall? Thanks guys!

Zemedici

Established Member
eh, if its going to be a corner carver, a NA route would be better. Just do headers, a gear if you want, and focus on suspension.

Car will be a blast with 300-350whp and a nice suspension setup.

Steve1578

Established Member
eh, if its going to be a corner carver, a NA route would be better. Just do headers, a gear if you want, and focus on suspension.

Car will be a blast with 300-350whp and a nice suspension setup.

Yeah I was thinking if go N/A, a nice set of 4.10's or maybe even a little steeper, would really make the car fun.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
not only is NA better for carving as for as power delivery goes, BUT dealing with boosted heat/heatsoak on the track is a PITA. Anything is doable, but it's lot's of work. My car is further down the same road you're going, so hopefully the mods in my sig will give you some ideas.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you still have the stock IRS upgrade the bushings. They make a big difference in how the car handles.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Go with the complete Full Tilt Bushing Kit and a set of KW V3 Coilvers. Best two mods I ever bought for my car! Along with the IRS swap since mine is a GT.
And if you want to go drag racing, the adjustability of the KW is great as it can be changed around for either type of driving.

Steve1578

Established Member
Go with the complete Full Tilt Bushing Kit and a set of KW V3 Coilvers. Best two mods I ever bought for my car! Along with the IRS swap since mine is a GT.
And if you want to go drag racing, the adjustability of the KW is great as it can be changed around for either type of driving.

I was looking at the KW kit, do you think the price is worth it? 3k for a coilover kit is pretty salty. My track time will be very minimal compared to street, so I'm wondering if the added performance of that kit is worth the extra cost. Have you had any experience with other kits?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally think yes, it is worth it. I use my car mainly on the street and even daily drive it in summer and the suspension is great, not to stiff to be uncomfortable in daily cruising but keeps the car glued to the road when hitting the German Autobahn at high speeds.
I used to have Steeda race springs with Tokico shocks and didn't like the handling much as the car was kinda bouncy. I have ridden in a full MM-Suspension Cobra and it felt more harsh then the KW. Then again, it is probably a question of setup.
Not sure what other brands are available that have the 3-way adjustability.

guarnibl

Established Member
I have a set of MM coilovers on mine and they're fantastic. The spring rate is tuned for street/strip and it's quite enjoyable. I don't have sway bars, but I do have the full bushings kit from boogie tilt racing, along with basically everything else you can buy suspension-wise from Maximum Motorsports sans sway bars (factory sways). The car handles incredibly well -- as well as my Boss 302 with full suspension, though likely because this car weighs so little in comparison.

I'm not touching the suspension (we bought the car with everything done to the suspension already -- it just needed an alignment) minus some sway bars eventually. In the fall once it cools down we're pulling the motor and replacing all the worn parts (car had 200k on it essentially, but suspension was all brand new) and doing a GT350 motor swap on it (sans the flat plane crank)... should be fun putting down 550 N/A rwhp in a 3100 lb car though.

I'd fully advise you take a look at the MM stuff.. it's cheaper than the KW setup and IMO, probably just as good for the Mustang. KW does make good stuff though... but as you suggested, it's expensive. I highly doubt I would gain enough to justify the cost switching to KW over MM. Next big suspension upgrade for me would be an SLA setup, but I'm not tracking this car exclusively, so it's a waste of money.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I just installed the MM coilovers on my car this past weekend. So far I'm pretty happy with them. I don't need adjustability as my car is a street car/canyon carver. The ride is the same as the H&R race springs that I had in it before. I would definitly look into some kind of coilover kit for handling.

Steve1578

Established Member
I personally think yes, it is worth it. I use my car mainly on the street and even daily drive it in summer and the suspension is great, not to stiff to be uncomfortable in daily cruising but keeps the car glued to the road when hitting the German Autobahn at high speeds.
I used to have Steeda race springs with Tokico shocks and didn't like the handling much as the car was kinda bouncy. I have ridden in a full MM-Suspension Cobra and it felt more harsh then the KW. Then again, it is probably a question of setup.
Not sure what other brands are available that have the 3-way adjustability.

I have a set of MM coilovers on mine and they're fantastic. The spring rate is tuned for street/strip and it's quite enjoyable. I don't have sway bars, but I do have the full bushings kit from boogie tilt racing, along with basically everything else you can buy suspension-wise from Maximum Motorsports sans sway bars (factory sways). The car handles incredibly well -- as well as my Boss 302 with full suspension, though likely because this car weighs so little in comparison.

I'm not touching the suspension (we bought the car with everything done to the suspension already -- it just needed an alignment) minus some sway bars eventually. In the fall once it cools down we're pulling the motor and replacing all the worn parts (car had 200k on it essentially, but suspension was all brand new) and doing a GT350 motor swap on it (sans the flat plane crank)... should be fun putting down 550 N/A rwhp in a 3100 lb car though.

I'd fully advise you take a look at the MM stuff.. it's cheaper than the KW setup and IMO, probably just as good for the Mustang. KW does make good stuff though... but as you suggested, it's expensive. I highly doubt I would gain enough to justify the cost switching to KW over MM. Next big suspension upgrade for me would be an SLA setup, but I'm not tracking this car exclusively, so it's a waste of money.

I just installed the MM coilovers on my car this past weekend. So far I'm pretty happy with them. I don't need adjustability as my car is a street car/canyon carver. The ride is the same as the H&R race springs that I had in it before. I would definitly look into some kind of coilover kit for handling.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. MM is looking like a good alternative to KW. What set up do you guys have as far as the struts & shocks?

Users who are viewing this thread