'01 cobra advice needed

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
And with the Coyote motor you still have the powder metal rods and hyperpathetic pistons. So it's still a time bomb. How low is your mileage? I put a blower on my stock motor at around 60K and it was healthy. I put about 5K on it and the motor blew three pistons getting on the freeway one day going to work. And I wasn't even in boost. That was about 12psi and a very conservative tune.

You can probably find a blower kit and shortblock for less then 8K. But that's not what kills your budget. It's all the little things like needing a bigger MAF, bigger fuel system, etc. Then finding out your current clutch doesn't like the power level and lets go.

As for the transmission, what are your plans for the car? I ran a 3650 for a long time with a motor making around 550rwhp. But it never saw the track and I didn't do high rpm clutch dumps. I have a T-56 now, but that's mostly because I found a screaming deal on it.

No matter how conservative the tune is, I think 12psi it too high for the stock short block

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Forged short block FTW, you could save money buying a rotating assembly but just the convenience alone of a short block would be worth the extra cost to me...

Sethalot

Established Member
The car has 40k miles, the extra parts were included in the cost when i bought it. I mentioned a coyote because your not buying a short block its a brand new engine with more potential than the current 4v and nearly 100 hp over our stock engines. Throw in the control pack and accessories and we are barely over budget, I just wont buy new rims for it. The way its looking i'm more inclined to just DD it the way it sits and give my stock fox a makeover.

01yellercobra

Established Member
No matter how conservative the tune is, I think 12psi it too high for the stock short block

I was only at that boost level because I didn't want to notch my valve cover for a bigger pulley.

The car has 40k miles, the extra parts were included in the cost when i bought it. I mentioned a coyote because your not buying a short block its a brand new engine with more potential than the current 4v and nearly 100 hp over our stock engines. Throw in the control pack and accessories and we are barely over budget, I just wont buy new rims for it. The way its looking i'm more inclined to just DD it the way it sits and give my stock fox a makeover.

But then you're not at your goal of 500. So you'll still need to modify it in order to hit your goal. We're not telling you this stuff just because we want you to spend your money. We've been there done that. We're trying to save you money in the long run.

Sethalot

Established Member
I was only at that boost level because I didn't want to notch my valve cover for a bigger pulley.

But then you're not at your goal of 500. So you'll still need to modify it in order to hit your goal. We're not telling you this stuff just because we want you to spend your money. We've been there done that. We're trying to save you money in the long run.
Its true but the wow factor would be there as well as better fuel mileage and decent gains over stock hp. either way its looking more and more like im just going to sit on the money for a while and drive the car till it has enough miles to warrant a new short block. thanks for the info and tips everyone.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Its true but the wow factor would be there as well as better fuel mileage and decent gains over stock hp. either way its looking more and more like im just going to sit on the money for a while and drive the car till it has enough miles to warrant a new short block. thanks for the info and tips everyone.

Don't give up. I assume you want 500 RWHP which is about 600 crank HP. Not easy but certainly not that hard either.

My advice.

Rebuild your current block adding forged rods/pistons.-$2k?

Get a 340 LPH pump and a BAP.-$325?

Used D1 centri on here with at least 60# injectors.-$2.5k(really unsure about the price on this one)

Consider a TKO 600 or T56 swap. $1.5K to 2.5 K?

It can be done for less than 8K. Labor is what will kill your budget IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread