01 bullitt to a 99 cobra swap

CAM09

Established Member
So guys, I just need some guidance on this, short story.....blew up the 2V and my dad has a 99-01 COBRA 4V motor just sitting.......so my questions is, what all do i need to do this swap?

I am checking a few part numbers to see if they match up, but just thought i would get a few ideas from you all and maybe a few notes to help me out...I just need to get this done ASAP and need all the help I can get.

THANKS CAM

mean04cobra

Established Member
I have been doing a whole lot of research on this myself as I want to do a similar swap. From what I've read it's fairly straight forward with a few minor changes. If you do a search of the forums you will find several posts from people who have done this swap already. Also, do a google search for "Mustang 4V swap" and you will get some results for a few other forums that have some really good information on them.

Like I said, from what I have read it should be pretty straight forward. I know that you can use your 2V computer and wiring harness and get the computer flashed to work with the 4v motor. Not 100% sure about the difference in fuel systems. Being that its coming out of a Cobra I would think that it would hook right up. Good luck with the swap, I am going to be doing a similar swap later this year with a Lincoln Mark VIII motor. Post pics and notes, i'd like to follow your progress. Hope this helped a little

CAM09

Established Member
Thanks for everything, you did answer a question that I was looking for, also do or will the t-5 trans hook up to the block....like will it work? Im hope I dont have to buy a t-56 for it and I can just use my trans I have.

mean04cobra

Established Member
That i'm not sure about. I would imagine that it would work though. You may want to try to mach it up using both bell housings before you put it in the car to see which one will work. The cobra motor is going to pretty much max out the T-5 if it is stock, may even be to much motor. I'd at least look into doing a rebuild/upgrade to be able to handle the additional power. if you are doing this on a budget I know from experience that the T-5 can take a beating but when it lets go it's going to let go in spectacular form......lol....thank god for road side assistance. Tremec and a few other companies have rebuild kits that can strengthen the T-5 to be able to handle the additional power.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Lots of good information already said here. I am in for pics on the swap as well. I am looking to do the same swap soon, hopefully. I've been contemplating between the 03-04 cobra, the mach 1, or an 01 cobra. 03-04 cobra=too expensive, the mach 1= non forged internals, and the 01 corba= weak power, but decent internals. So the 01 may be the one I go with. Keep us updated! :)

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Swapping the 4v in wont be hard. It'll bolt right in. There's tons of threads out there regarding this swap. If I remember right some people even used the 2v computers somehow. I'm sure there's plenty of info out there, I've just never personally researched it but just wanted to say you won't have a problem making it happen.

And if you have a bullit you don't have a t-5 trans you likely have a termec 3650 and yes it works just fine with the 4v as that's the trans they had as well.

Last edited:

CAM09

Established Member
Thanks guys, so another problem I know alot of people use the 2v computers but Im also tryn to see what the cheapest rout is sense this i last minute for me, I know if i keep the 2v computer i would need a chip tune and dyno time so do yall think it would be cheaper to find a COBRA computer or what?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Thanks guys, so another problem I know alot of people use the 2v computers but Im also tryn to see what the cheapest rout is sense this i last minute for me, I know if i keep the 2v computer i would need a chip tune and dyno time so do yall think it would be cheaper to find a COBRA computer or what?

I would just go with the cobra computer and save yourself the hassle. It may be a little harder to get ahold of a cobra computer, but it's better to do that than run into problems with the 2v computer. Get the computer that was originally made for the motor rather than rig one that wasn't.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Thanks for everything, you did answer a question that I was looking for, also do or will the t-5 trans hook up to the block....like will it work? Im hope I dont have to buy a t-56 for it and I can just use my trans I have.
You have either a T-3550 or T3650, both of those will bolt up to the DOHC 4.6 since both the 2V and 4V motors use identical block dimensions.

Lots of good information already said here. I am in for pics on the swap as well. I am looking to do the same swap soon, hopefully. I've been contemplating between the 03-04 cobra, the mach 1, or an 01 cobra. 03-04 cobra=too expensive, the mach 1= non forged internals, and the 01 corba= weak power, but decent internals. So the 01 may be the one I go with. Keep us updated! :)
-03-04 cobra is forged
-03-04 mach and 01 cobra both have the same internals, the only forged piece is the crank. All 96-04 cobras haver forged cranks, manual machs have the same forged crank, automatic machs have a cast crank like the ones found in 2V motors.

Use your 2V computer and just get it tuned, it will work just fine. The 2V engine harness will work also, just need to lengthen a couple of sensor connections. If you decide to still go with an '01 cobra computer then you will also need the complete engine harness and gauge cluster.

rfreeman37

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a swap into my 04 GT that spun a bearing. The motor will bolt up along with the starter. You said your dad has a cobra motor correct? Does he have the flywheel attached to it? If not you will possibly need to get a flywheel depending on if your GT was one that was equipped with an 8-bolt flywheel. Either way the tremec 3650 will work just fine. I'm planning on using the stock GT ecu and modify harness and get a tune. If I were to get a cobra ecu I would get the harness that matches it that way everything would work like it should. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread