$$ 01 bottom end $$

randoo

Established Member
Just got a quote on bullit proofing the 01 engine. Forged rods and pistons, clevite bearings, valve job with stock cams, high volume oil pump, 7 qt oil pan. $7000.00... Add about $1200 for a clutch, flywheel and shorty headers. I drive the car in and about 10 days drive it home. Does that sound right?? I want to supercharge it but I cant afford to do it all at once

01vert

Established Member
go to the MMR site and price a shortblock, find someone to swap it for you and see if it is cheaper.

Shorty headers are useless. Spend the $1200 on a set of ramps and tools and do the clutch yourself, they aren't terrible hard.

Price seems high to me

BTW, for comparison, you can get a Ford aluminator engine for 6k shipped with new valve covers, front cover, pan, waterpump, etc and it should be less than 1k to swap your motor. Some consider the aluminator an expensive choice but it does have new timing chains, tensioners, 04 heads, cam covers, water pump, front cover, etc

Last edited:

arturo3rd

Established Member
go to the MMR site and price a shortblock, find someone to swap it for you and see if it is cheaper.

Shorty headers are useless. Spend the $1200 on a set of ramps and tools and do the clutch yourself, they aren't terrible hard.

Price seems high to me

BTW, for comparison, you can get a Ford aluminator engine for 6k shippe with new valve covers, front cover, pan, waterpump, etc and it should be less than 1k to swap your motor. Some consider the aluminator an expensive choice but it does have new timing chains, tensioners, 04 heads, cam covers, water pump, front cover, etc

i would do this!

randoo

Established Member

Price seems high to me

BTW, for comparison, you can get a Ford aluminator engine for 6k shippe with new valve covers, front cover, pan, waterpump, etc and it should be less than 1k to swap your motor. Some consider the aluminator an expensive choice but it does have new timing chains, tensioners, 04 heads, cam covers, water pump, front cover, etc

I see you're from MA. Do know any good 4.6 engine builders or tuners in the area?

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I was quoted about $6,500 for a complete rebuild.. But, I know where are extras once the motor is opened.. So, $7,000 sounds about right for the job..

Although, when it comes time to doing my motor I think I will end up pulling my own motor and having a local shop install the pistons & rods.. Then I will just bolt it all back together..

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
CE Racing in Milford MA is the guy to go to for mod motors. Thats who I am bringing mine to. I would do the aluminator but it doesn't hold enough power for my setup. The oil pan you really don't need. The qoute doesn't seem too bad if thats including install of the motor. The aluminator is good for 700 hp at the flywheel according to Ford so depending on your goals that motor might be enough. I think they come as a complete longblock with the cams already timed/degreed. Its also got the 03 heads which are an improved design over the 99/01. The block is aluminum too.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
to give you a ballpark estimate, i paid right around 3,900 for my MMR 900 after all my extras were added. Spent 2700 getting shortblock installed with valve job, new gaskets, timing chains, etc, etc. So your price is not too bad. This would be a good time to change clutch, flywheel, TOB, and add longtubes. I now make just over 600 to the wheels. Not sure if you are shooting for anything higher than that though.

randoo

Established Member
CE Racing in Milford MA is the guy to go to for mod motors. Thats who I am bringing mine to. I would do the aluminator but it doesn't hold enough power for my setup. The oil pan you really don't need. The qoute doesn't seem too bad if thats including install of the motor. The aluminator is good for 700 hp at the flywheel according to Ford so depending on your goals that motor might be enough. I think they come as a complete longblock with the cams already timed/degreed. Its also got the 03 heads which are an improved design over the 99/01. The block is aluminum too.

Bob at CE is the guy I talked to. I do like the idea of having the builder/tuner local so if there is any issues they would be easily taken care of. That 7k does include a tune and dyno time so I can see the before and after affects of the sc. The thing thats tough is that i'll spend 7k and when I get the car back I probably wont even feel much of a difference. I will have piece of mind knowing its ready and able.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
You sure it includes dyno time? He doesn't have a dyno and he sends his customers to Dez Racing. You are in NH its a no brainer to go to Peformance Dyno in Concord NH for tuning. Bob quoted me $7600 to do my motor top to bottom and I will be providing the ported heads/intake, cams and head cooling mod. I will also drop the motor off and pick it up when he is done. Thats a 1000 hp motor fully assembled ready to go with my turbo setup. That was worst case scenario for the build. He said the price will depend on what my motor needs for prep work first. Bob is expensive, but is the best for mustangs in the area. His cars are always reliable and his turnaround time is unmatched. Pretty good for a one man shop.

randoo

Established Member
You sure it includes dyno time? He doesn't have a dyno and he sends his customers to Dez Racing. You are in NH its a no brainer to go to Peformance Dyno in Concord NH for tuning. Bob quoted me $7600 to do my motor top to bottom and I will be providing the ported heads/intake, cams and head cooling mod. I will also drop the motor off and pick it up when he is done. Thats a 1000 hp motor fully assembled ready to go with my turbo setup. That was worst case scenario for the build. He said the price will depend on what my motor needs for prep work first. Bob is expensive, but is the best for mustangs in the area. His cars are always reliable and his turnaround time is unmatched. Pretty good for a one man shop.

One man shop! I didn't know that. I talked to him today for the first time only for about a half hour. I don't know much about these motors i'm learning as I go. Only "race" cars i've ever done were sb and bb chevys. Actually I've never done any injected performance set ups before. I'm green I know. This is all some what new to me so bare with me if you can. He said he used a dyno that was about 20 minutes away and he would run it just to get a number so when I was ready to do the super charger I could see the gains.

01vert

Established Member
CE is considered one of the best around here, many happy people with his work. I have not gone to him myself but many praise him for honest and decent work. A buddy has all his 5.0 work done there and he has been very happy.

If the prices are from CE and considering the 10 day turnaround, seems fair to me. Tuning alone can get expensive.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

I am confused? Looks like you are buying a shortblock and having the motor completely assembled? That seems very expensive to me unless your getting an aluminum block and a bunch of extras(improved oil pump, stout head gasket, etc). list what "Bob" is providing please. porting anything?

Users who are viewing this thread