'01 Aluminum Drive Shaft

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Hey fellas. I am looking into getting an aluminum driveshaft for the '01 snake. I did some research throught the board and a few post said that there is not one for the '01 snake. However, Five Star Ford in Arizona says they have it. But I am not sure if it is for the GT or Cobra. I did tell him I have a Cobra. But wondering if he overlooked it. Any word?

Peace...B_S

Ashentep

Established Member
I have an aluminum driveshaft installed on my '01 Cobra. I am not sure of the brand/model #, because I bought the car used, and it was installed by the previous owner (who didn't know the brand, either).

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I have a Griggs DS on my 01 Cobra..

The Cobra's DS is shorter then the GT's DS since the Cobra has the IRS..

Many people have purchased the GT or "J shaft" and put it on there 01 Cobras and not had any fitment issues.... That's entirely up to you, but if the factory put one on that is shorter I damn well will be using one that is shorter as well.'

Griggs makes one
PST makes one
or you can get a FMS "J" shaft and have it shortened and rebalanced.

Shawn

Taz

Established Member
Originally posted by Black_Sunshine
Hey fellas. I am looking into getting an aluminum driveshaft for the '01 snake. I did some research throught the board and a few post said that there is not one for the '01 snake. However, Five Star Ford in Arizona says they have it. But I am not sure if it is for the GT or Cobra. I did tell him I have a Cobra. But wondering if he overlooked it. Any word?

Peace...B_S

Five Star is my dealership. This dealer is "mod friendly" and stocks a good selection of aftermarket performance parts. Chances are they're either shortening the FMS shaft in house or having one fabbed locally for use on '01 Cobras.

I ended up going with a custom carbon fiber DS from PST, so I don't know for sure what Five Star's DS is like.

T-

SS killer

does anybody have the web address or phone number for five star ford i am also interested in an aluminum driveshaft .
thanks

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Hey guys. I just talked to Max at Five Star Ford this evening. I asked him if he was sure the DS was for a Cobra, so he called Ford Racing and they told him it was for the GT, NOT the Cobra. He was glad I caught that b/c he did not know about it. I must say that Max is a pleasure to deal with, very friendly and helpful. They only carry FMS parts, so if you plan on using as much FMS as possible, deal with Max. He will take care of you. He has hooked me up with some GREAT prices.

SVTCobra01, here is the web site www.fivestarford.com. The number is 1-800-866-1520 ext. 236. Ask for Max.

Peace...B_S

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Persanllay the FMS product is'n made for the cobra. Are there any other vendors out there that sell these, other than Griggs?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
How much for that carbon fiber DS? My guess is $600...Any noticeable improvement in the car with it?

Thanks in advance....

Cito

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Originally posted by cito
How much for that carbon fiber DS? My guess is $600...Any noticeable improvement in the car with it?

Thanks in advance....

Cito

The PST unit with a steel yoke is $499. It smoothes out the driveline and makes more power by having less rotational mass absorbing power from the motor.

DamageInc

Banned
I have a as-new PST aluminum shaft that I am going to sell on eBay in the near future along with some other stuff like a 100mm Densecharger and an Abbott ERA box.

Everything came off my 2001 Cobra. I live about 10 minutes from PST and had Mark put new Spicer joints in the shaft and polish it. I'll let ya know when I list my stuff on eBay.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Originally posted by DamageInc
I have a as-new PST aluminum shaft that I am going to sell on eBay in the near future along with some other stuff like a 100mm Densecharger and an Abbott ERA box.

Everything came off my 2001 Cobra. I live about 10 minutes from PST and had Mark put new Spicer joints in the shaft and polish it. I'll let ya know when I list my stuff on eBay.

Let me know when your selling on ebay... PST have a website?

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
does anyone know the exact specs on the 01 cobra with the IRS. I am looking at the site and they ask for a bunch of stuff to make a custom shaft. Any help would be great.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Thanks for the site info! . I'ms thinking about getting the aluminum version (t6). Came across a good quote about Carbon Fiber Shafts

"A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts."

Later -Raider187

Taz

Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake
does anyone know the exact specs on the 01 cobra with the IRS. I am looking at the site and they ask for a bunch of stuff to make a custom shaft. Any help would be great.

Disregard the specification questions. Just phone Mark or Arlene and say you want a shaft for an '01 Cobra. Mark has already built plenty of shafts for our cars, so he has all the necessary info for '01 Cobras.

T-

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Taz
Disregard the specification questions. Just phone Mark or Arlene and say you want a shaft for an '01 Cobra. Mark has already built plenty of shafts for our cars, so he has all the necessary info for '01 Cobras.

T-

How much do they want for an aluminum driveshaft for a 01?

Users who are viewing this thread