00R springs

like2party

Established Member
I am thinking of putting 00R springs on my 99 cobra vert. could an owner of a 00R tell me how their car rides stock? I am looking to find out how stiff my ride might become. I already have Eibach pro kit springs, but my rear tires rub (mainly the drivers side) when the suspension compresses. How much lower than stock does the 00 sit compared to the 99 and 01's?

Andy M

Established Member
I think I read in one of the early articles when the 2000 R came out that it sits about 1" lower than a stock Cobra, all around.

As far as the ride quality?? I think the R rides pretty damned well for having such stiff springs?!!:eek: 800 pounds/inch in front and 750 in the rear. It will not beat you to death on a long ride. It is firm, but not bone-jarring.

As for the rubbing in the rear?? what rims are you using (what is the offset??) and what size tires are you using??

The 2000 R has 18X9.5 rims and wears 265/40/18 tires... and we get no rubbing in front or rear.

like2party

Established Member
using BBS RK 18x10, not sure of the offset. Michelin Pilot Sports, 295/40/18. just installed subframe connectors today, helps alot. didn't solve the problem, but the rubbing is less than before.

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
The 2000 R has 18X9.5 rims and wears 265/40/18 tires... and we get no rubbing in front or rear.

I am successfully running 275's on the rear and contemplating 285/35's for the next rear set.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by AV8R

I am successfully running 275's on the rear and contemplating 285/35's for the next rear set.
Jason, I am sure you can get away with up to maybe 295 or maybe even 305 in the rear, BUT, you will lose the ability to rotate... which for me is a big deal. I swap between racing slicks and street tires pretty often in between track events, and it is very nice to put the tires which were on the rear in front on the next rotation. The very agressive negative front camber settings will eventually chew up your front tires if you don't rotate them to the rear every 1000 miles or so.

By all means though, if you don't care about this... then go for it!! Having more rubber in the rear is certainly a very good thing.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by like2party
using BBS RK 18x10, not sure of the offset. Michelin Pilot Sports, 295/40/18. just installed subframe connectors today, helps alot. didn't solve the problem, but the rubbing is less than before.
Are you running the same rims/tires in front also? where exactly are you getting the rubbing?? in front, rear, or both??

Have you tried a smaller rim in front (maybe an 18X9 or so) and a more narrow tire?? In the rear, how about a 295/35 instead of a 295/40 (which is a little taller than a 35) ??

I run 275/35 Hoosiers when I go to the track, and even in extremely hard cornering, I get no rubbing in front or rear. I am sure I could go with a wider tire in the rear, but then I won't be able to rotate them in between track days, and that would severely shorten the usable life of the tires.

like2party

Established Member
18x8.5 in the front with 245/40's, and no rubbing whatsoever. the only rubbing comes from the back, especially the drivers side. I am pretty sure I will be putting on the 00R springs to give me more space between tire and body. Hopefully the ride won't be too stiff, and still give me a lower than stock profile.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
last time i checked, an 10.5 was the widest rim with a 285 as the widest tire on the IRS rear. now a live axle....with coilovers you can definitely fit more tire. i've been running eibach pro springs on my 99 for the last year, and never got any rub, but that's on stock wheels/tires.

with you running a 295 width and a 40 series tire on a 10 inch wide rim, i'm sure that's your problem right there. i bet your tire overhangs the lip of the rim, doesn't it?
(not a slam, just trying to help ya...)

Users who are viewing this thread