00 vs. 03

like2party

Established Member
Here is the scoop (I am in Northern Cal, and I want to buy today):

00 Silver, 18k miles, original owner, looks and drives like new, only mods are Airraid intake, 01 tail lights, and rear Bell Tech shackle drop. Price: $21,500

03 Red, 5,700 miles, being sold by an autobroker, repossesed from some one in W. Virginia, excellent condition except for: holes in A pillar plastic (extra gauges removed), A/C just fixed at his cost because the lines had been altered (auxillary intercooler?), auxillary cooler fins bent behind front bumper thought the tubes look fine. The dealer says with this A/C repair, the truck is all original and should be under warranty till 36mo/36k miles. Price: $23,500

Which should I buy? I have a bettter comfort level with the 00, knowing the history, etc. I sure like the value of the 03, but I worry what else might have been done and undone by whoever had it first because of the little tell-tale signs.

I would appreciate your opinions!

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Tough choice, the 00 has less power to start and some issues that the 03 doesn't but not really a big deal either, I would have the 03 checked over really good and offer him 22500. at most beacuse of the alterations done to pay 23000. but I would go for the 03 if it checks out ok. good luck:beer:

LGSCHMIDTJR

Established Member
like2party

The 03 sounds to me like it would have too many issues, and i like the originality of the 00. Find out if the inter-cooler was replaced on the 00 and find out if his price is negotiable.

Good luck
Laurence

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Originally posted by LGSCHMIDTJR
like2party

The 03 sounds to me like it would have too many issues, and i like the originality of the 00. Find out if the inter-cooler was replaced on the 00 and find out if his price is negotiable.

Good luck
Laurence

i agree with you, get the 00. another that me and my friend have with our 00 is on the drivers door, by the window, theres a crack where rust is forming..any our 00 owns notice this or is it just our trucks?

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Originally posted by ZEM'S04 L
Easy answer, get the '03 because it still has a ton of warranty!!

:rockon:

mine has just as much warranty...and mines a 00, and i got the warranty for free

KeltonB

Established Member
For a couple extra thousand, my local dealer (Crossroads Ford in Cary, NC) has 2004s for $25,900.00. Just bought mine last week at that price and two friends have also gone in and bought this last week.

Good luck!

Kelton

LGSCHMIDTJR

Established Member
00sVt Lightning
I have heard about the drivers doors cracking and i think that it possibly happens on all of the heritage f-150s and Ford may have a TSB on this. I notice that when i hit the switch to lower and raise my window i can see the sheet metal moving a little and wonder if it will happen to mine also.

Laurence

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Originally posted by 00sVt Lightning
i agree with you, get the 00. another that me and my friend have with our 00 is on the drivers door, by the window, theres a crack where rust is forming..any our 00 owns notice this or is it just our trucks?
is the crack down in the rear corner? if so then yep i got it too:mj:

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
I have an 03 and would have to agree to go with the more power and more warranty off the bat. However, given the things that you mentioned on the 03, I would lean towards to 00. If there is that much stuff already fixed/altered on the 03, I'd be leary. Also, the fact that it is a repo. Sometimes when people know that their situation is out of control (money wise) they tend to not care about how they treat things, especially if they think/know it's going to be repoed.

Just my opinion.
Rob

DA BOLT

Established Member
03 for sure , better heads for plugs, newer, less mileage and still have warranty. If you get the 00 and it has problems, it'll cost you more in the long run.:coolman:

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Originally posted by DA BOLT
03 for sure , better heads for plugs, newer, less mileage and still have warranty. If you get the 00 and it has problems, it'll cost you more in the long run.:coolman:

not if u have a warranty, the 03 still might have problems in the long run as well

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
not if u have a warranty, the 03 still might have problems in the long run as well

Long run so will the 99,00,01,02,04 as will all trucks but value wise the 03 is a better buy, have it checked out for 80.00 or whatever it might be well worth it

Boostin01L954

Established Member
my mom owns a repo company and i see the repos that come in and they beat them up cuz they dont care about them b/c they know they are getting taken. but the 03 also has lots of warranty left and more horses to start. get it checked out and if its good then go for the 03. resale is also better. anyways if something goes wrong with the 03 then theres a warranty. if something goes wrong with the 00 its money out of your pocket. just my opinion.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
i wonder if its a defect in the metal/paint of something on the 00's.
its a defect in the whole body style from 97 up to now
there is some fix for it, ford welds a support inside the skin and it should be ok i havent had it done yet but i guess i will before the warrenty ends

Users who are viewing this thread