00 Lightning Trans prob.. please help

03silverterm8r

Established Member
Ok so a friend of mine just baught a pullied bolt on 00 Lightning.. The previouse owner said the trans had been rebuilt about 15k miles ago with ugraded valve body. .. But a couple nights ago we were out in it it was driving fine but seemed to have a SLIGHT miss.. Than the next day it seemed to be missing BAD .. we thought could be the coils.. Than yesterday.. he was driving down and acceld a little to pass a slow moving car when he did the truck seemed to go into nutruel for a sec untile he let out the gas.. since that happened the truck wont shift from first to second unless u take it up in rpm than let off the gas than it shifts into 2nd but HARD..It also makes a slight whinning sound in first but goes away after shifts into second. So what we were thinking is that the whole time we thought it was the coils missing it was really the converter shuttering.. so what do you guys thing? Is the tranny shot or could we replace the converter and it be ok.. or do you guys even think its that?? Preciat ANY input you guys can give me.. Thanks and god bless.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Bad converter won't cause improper shifts. Check the TPS voltage and make sure it's plugged in as it should be. How are the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts? Could be a shift solenoid going bad on him.

Who built/rebuilt the trans and what components were used?

03silverterm8r

Established Member
Bad converter won't cause improper shifts. Check the TPS voltage and make sure it's plugged in as it should be. How are the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts? Could be a shift solenoid going bad on him.

Who built/rebuilt the trans and what components were used?

2-3 and so on shift normal but only if your barley barley on the gas.. if you give it over 1/4 gas it shutters almost like missing real bad.. TPS seems to be fine.. But if it was the tps I dont think it would cause that slight whinning sound in 1st.. that goes away after it shifts into second.

Users who are viewing this thread