Wet Brakes?

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I have around 20K on my 04 SVTF and never have had any brake work done. I have noticed ever since I bought the car (around 11K miles) that sometimes the brakes don't have anywhere near the same stopping power when they are wet. Several times I have been coming down the interstate in the rain and get on the off ramp, downshift a couple of times, hit the brakes and... Woah!

The first time I thought maybe I had hit the accelerator pedal simultaneously, but I'm pretty sure the last time I didn't.

Have others had limited braking power with wet brakes or do I need some brake work? If it is the ABS, I don't get any feedback through the brake pedal.

It's a ZX5 with stock Conti's if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I had that issue with the stock brakes. Seems like it takes a second before they grab in a good rainstorm, then they're OK.

Since I've put on my EBC Green Pads (Rotors still original), I haven't noticed it at all. Not saying it isn't going to happen again, but as if yet it hasn't.

Mach'n You

Established Member
Well water gets on the rotors and pads, it takes a second to get the water off before they can make good solid contact. You could say your brakes hydroplane for a moment.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
It's not just our cars, Mercedes uses a rain detection system that lightly applies the brakes automatically to dry the rotors to avoid this exact issue.

I think it may be more noticeable in our cars because the brakes are not over boosted like most power brakes are.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
Hey folks, thanks for the input. I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Maybe I'll replace my break pads for ones that don't dust as much as the stock pads. I have the Euro wheels and they collect dust with the OEM pads just going around the block, and I'm lazy. I have heard that the EBCs aren't quite as dusty on Cobras. I wonder if that is true for the SVTF?

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
three words for you, SLOTTED AND DRILLED...
STA72383.jpg

automech

Established Member
It also happens to me. Just a tip--- When it's raining, make sure to test your brakes when you first start out to burn the water off the pads and rotors. That will restore normal breaking until you go through a deep mud puddle etc and have to go through the same process again.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Hey folks, thanks for the input. I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Maybe I'll replace my break pads for ones that don't dust as much as the stock pads. I have the Euro wheels and they collect dust with the OEM pads just going around the block, and I'm lazy. I have heard that the EBCs aren't quite as dusty on Cobras. I wonder if that is true for the SVTF?
I have EBC Green Pads on mine and they make p-l-e-n-t-y of dust! Maybe a bit less than the stockers. Though they do stop better, IMO.

Next time, I plan on trying the EBC Red Pads. I've heard they make less dust than the Greens.

From what I read, the Yellow Pads are strictly for racing.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
Zomk Racing, they are in CA. pretty good quality for the price, so i went with it. the only complaint i have is this wierd ass noise from the rears every time i stop. buncha ticking noises and only from the rears. i think its cuz the rears are a solid disk unvented. the fronts are vented, kinda wierd but damn they stop nice!

Users who are viewing this thread