The Antares rocket = REALLY expensive grenade

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
LOL I was watching it live.

Sadly, Orbital has a bit of a reputation for this sort of thing in the industry. The company I used to work for was a spin-off of Orbital, so I've got a good handle on all the history /dirty laundry.

Thankfully no one was hurt, but this will prompt a minimum ~6 month hold/investigation of the Antares platform. I doubt Orbital will be able to complete their Commercial Resupply contract now on time.

I'm sure Musk and the SpaceX guys are as happy as you can be in this situation.

My gut dropped when I was watching it. In this industry it's always terrible to see a failure like this.

Machdup1

Established Member
I was actually planning on going to this launch and couldn't make it because of work. Just glad it was unmanned.

oldmodman

Established Member
I looked at the launch in slo-mo and it appears to have started in the engine area. Maybe a blow thru in the turbine pump. I'll be waiting for the analysis to be published.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I liked how the NASA flight director just stopped talking when the stuff was about to hit the pavement. Like...uh oh. As I said in the original thread I posted on this topic earlier... someone is going to get yelled at for this one.

$$$$^^^^Smoke.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Just read this:

"NASA has a $1.9-billion contract with Dulles, Va.-based Orbital Sciences for eight flights to transport cargo from the newly built Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport."

Was this the first of eight contracted flights?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Nozzle burn-through, I bet. Maybe it leaned out for a few thousandths of a second, temperatures and pressures spiked while the metal weakened, and boom! We need to figure out how to make the hot section components out of ceramics.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I looked at the launch in slo-mo and it appears to have started in the engine area. Maybe a blow thru in the turbine pump. I'll be waiting for the analysis to be published.
A turbine pump failure was my first thought. The report will be interesting. Could be gremlins, though.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Missed the 1-2 shift.. kept the gas and clutch to the floor. The guy working the joy stick needs driver mod. Seriously tho, glad nobody was hurt.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Just read this:

"NASA has a $1.9-billion contract with Dulles, Va.-based Orbital Sciences for eight flights to transport cargo from the newly built Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport."

Was this the first of eight contracted flights?

No they've made 3-4 before this. However when something like this fails, they essentially have to completely shut down launch ops for a detailed failure analysis to make sure they understand what failed and how to fix it. This will greatly disrupt their already very "aggressive" launch schedule to meet the contract deadline.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Are there any pics of the launch pad and the damage?

i see some have speculated but is there a general idea where the issue was at this point?

Users who are viewing this thread