Test drove my first C5 Z06

o2gt

Established Member
Damn, maybe I should buy one

lol

I must say this was my dream car in high school. I can still remember going back to class one day senior year in my gt and an older guy pulling up next to me. I hit my OD off button and he let me go for a couple seconds and then proceeded to pull me by bus lengths so cool. I spent hours on Ebay in college looking for my future black on black c5z. how times have changed. Op save your money and have fun they will always be cool cars, the people on this sight are just used to faster cars.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Decade old and still worth every penny and probably still owns cars today. Faster than a 2013 Boss.

Says who? I beat a couple, both from a dig and a roll, when I was stock and absolutely embarrassed one with the my current mods.

EDIT: That's not to say I don't like them, though. I also know they can be really nasty with the regular LSx cam/heads. Magazine tests might put the C5Z ahead of the Boss but I haven't seen it on the street. The Boss is extremely easy to launch with the lower torque off the line while I'm sure the Vette just wants to roast the tires.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
You'll get used to it and want more... lol.

That's what happened with me. I originally just wanted a full exhaust/CAI for mine then I ended up doing a h/c/I/n2o setup and even still that wasn't enough. Then I sold it after I bought my C6 Z. Then I sold my C6 Z for my ZR1. And that's not even fast enough so I had to build the **** out of that. lol.

They're plenty fun stock. I actually liked driving that more than my ZR1 and C6 Z. I loved the cockpit type interior that the C5 Z has. Nothing fancy but I loved it.

I remember asking you when you first got the c6zo6 if you planned on modding it and you said not heavily. Then you traded it in on a a zr1 and next thing I know thats undergoing surgery and getting built. :rockon: :beer:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I've rode in a zr1 and felt it needed a pulley and that car would make any c5 look stupid. A stock ls6 is not near fast enough.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Under rated? - Corvette Forum

According to this thread the only mustangs that can handle a c5z is a 2013 gt500 or a tuned gt500. maybe we all have it wrong:)

Stock to stock this has been well established. And the Z will leave those behind in the curves. As much of a monster as the C6Z was, the C5Z started it all. I can remember reading the issue of Motortrend where they tested the '04 and was blown away by the 405hp, was unheard of back then.

o2gt

Established Member
Stock to stock this has been well established. And the Z will leave those behind in the curves. As much of a monster as the C6Z was, the C5Z started it all. I can remember reading the issue of Motortrend where they tested the '04 and was blown away by the 405hp, was unheard of back then.

stock for stock what has been well established? there are tons of cars faster stock than a c5z. I would think any post 2010 gt500 is faster, boss would be about the same, normal 5.0 not much slower. now im sure in the tuns the corvette will have an advantage over more cars.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Umm yeah.. C5Z not faster than alot of current cars... including the 10-12 GT500s.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
stock for stock what has been well established? there are tons of cars faster stock than a c5z. I would think any post 2010 gt500 is faster, boss would be about the same, normal 5.0 not much slower. now im sure in the tuns the corvette will have an advantage over more cars.

Umm yeah.. C5Z not faster than alot of current cars... including the 10-12 GT500s.

Last I checked it was a driver's race between them with both running low 12s in the hands of average drivers and high 11s with a good driver.

Monster14

Beer Me
Established Member
Had my c5Z for a few months now and I am very impressed with the car. I have not raced it, has bolt ons (no cam) what can I expect to hang with, 5.0, Terminator, early GT500, ZL1? Any thoughts?

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Had my c5Z for a few months now and I am very impressed with the car. I have not raced it, has bolt ons (no cam) what can I expect to hang with, 5.0, Terminator, early GT500, ZL1? Any thoughts?

Should be more than enough for 5.0s if you can drive. Terminators are almost to the point of being modded more likely than stock anymore. Stock you can take them, but it doesn't take much for one to be ahead of a bolt on Z. Drivers race with basically any GT500 prior to '13 and the ZL1 should be the same story.

whiplash306

Established Member

On hwy pulls, equal driver for driver, you'll pull ahead of a newer 5.0 and Terminator and hang with (perhaps slowly lose ground to) an earlier GT500. On twisties, assuming good tires 'cause the C5Z's are squirrely, you'll destroy all of the above.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Last I checked it was a driver's race between them with both running low 12s in the hands of average drivers and high 11s with a good driver.

The only reason the 500 and Z were in the same ballpark in the 1/4 mile was, and you know it, the launch issues it had. Roll both cars off on the highway and watch the C5Z get raped.

YGETV8

Established Member
Had a bolt-on '04 Z for several months last summer/fall. Absolutely LOVED it! I felt more like a part of the car while driving. Awesome looks, sound, relatively good economy. In the end, my Cobra of 10 years was more "me" so the Z went down the road and the Cobra got a crap ton of new parts! ;)

Poppacapp

Established Member

Should be able to take out stock 5.0's. Stock Termi's. Stock ZL1 maybe. The only way you will win with a 10-12 GT500 is if its a dig race, and he spins badly. Roll them on the highway and it wont be pretty. And if he has put only $600 into a simple pulley/tune, even heads/cam on your car won't do it unless it puts you above 460rwhp range. Ask me how I know.

Should be more than enough for 5.0s if you can drive. Terminators are almost to the point of being modded more likely than stock anymore. Stock you can take them, but it doesn't take much for one to be ahead of a bolt on Z. Drivers race with basically any GT500 prior to '13 ON A TRACK WITH THE 500 ON STREET TIRES and the ZL1 should be the same story.

Fixed that for you. Don't be delusional on the highway. C5Z front bumpers are not cheap.. no need to be having it pulled off. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread