Terminator as first car...

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
start of with a fox, something you can work on , learn to drive and learn to respect RWD

stay away from a terminator as a first car, as a 16 year old kid the insurance will kill you

Zemedici

Established Member
I dont even......What? Your dad's going to allow you to get a 360-400whp V8 that's renowned for its POWER as your first car? And you dont even have a permit yet? WHAT

Get a v6, learn the ropes, as you get used to its power, add mods to it to make it quicker. You'll learn your car, how to work on it, and how to respect it since it'll be your money that's fixing it up.

I got a quote when I was 18 on a red cobra vert, 650 A MONTH. Not to mention the payment.

Get a v6. smh at people nowadays....

Sethsual

Established Member
A lot of good advice here. Here is my take:

My first car was an '87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe with a 350 that I built from the ground-up. I used that car as a learning tool, and it certainly taught me many lessons, both in the garage as well as on the street. I loved it. I wrecked it.. a few times.

When I made the decision to buy a motorcycle, I knew I wanted a sportbike. Despite growing up riding dirtbikes, my first street motorcycle was a thrashed 600cc, 10 year old Honda. I bought one that was already wrecked because I didn't want to be heart-broken in the event that I did so as well. I wanted to jump right into a 750cc or 1000cc, but I knew that it was going to not only be a new experience, but also improve my chances of disaster. I never laid it over, but I was prepared for that to happen. After a few years, I bought a 10 year newer 600cc, and then later on a 1000cc (which I modded to Hell and back).

Moral of the story here is that it is preferable to start off easy. Get the hang of simply DRIVING first. If possible, teach yourself as much as you can about how to properly care for and maintain your ride. Gradually step up to bigger, badder rides. It'll make you appreciate what you have that much more!

Also, kudos to you for the original post. It seems a lot of (older) people don't make any effort whatsoever when it comes to grammar and sentence structure. Your post, coming from a 15 year old, was a sight for sore eyes. :beer:

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm about to be 16 and am going to get a permit soon. A few months ago my brother took me out and put me behind the wheel with a sequoia and it was easy for me to pick up. I've been focused on school so I haven't had the time or pleasure to learn more driving though.

I really want to get a Mustang as a first car, I was looking at a mustang v8 . Both my older brothers advised me against it even though they both had Mustangs as first cars Right now one has a 96 mystic I think and a fox 90. The other one has a 03 Terminator blacked out. After being in his terminator many times I think I've grown too fond of it and want one of my own.

My dad said I could sell our 2001 Sequoia (50k miles) or the 2008 Odyssey and I can get a mustang. I don't think he knows how powerful a cobra is.

I'm a bit worried about the costs of insurance, mpg, and the car itself though. I am getting a job to pay it off though, and I am selling some of the things I have.

I'm pretty much a straight edge and fear too much for my life to participate in street racing, I don't go to any parties (yet), but won't drink, don't smoke. If I end up getting one I will probably keep it in first gear and not go over 30 mph for a long time. I won't even go on the freeways. Srs.

I am aware of how much power these cars have and don't want to kill myself. If I drive carefully, slowly, slow down at turns and all that good stuff, I don't see how the terminator would put me in a bad situation. I could be wrong though
I don't want to doing shit like this Black Kenne Bell Blown Mustang Cobra gets a hard driving lesson - YouTube
Is that a result of bad driving?

I have no idea what to do.
Any advice guys, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but just be respectful and I will hear you out.

I am unsure what to do, any advice?

Last edited:

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
My first mustang was a 1996 GT 5 speed great learner car, not to much power and had the V8 sound. Do you know how to drive a stick shift yet??

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Don't do it. My GT is my first car, and it was more than enough power for me at the time. Compared to what I was used to being in and driving (trucks), my 2v felt fast. It has caught me off guard once or twice when I underestimated it. Now, 2 years later after owning it, it feels slow. That is also why there are 4.10's sitting in my room waiting to be installed right now, to get the feeling back.

If I were you, get a nice, clean 99-04 GT. Get a catback, O/R mid, tune, lowering springs, shocks/struts, and some wheels. Along with a grille delete and chin spoiler. Those two things make a HUGE difference in appearance. Plus at our age, we both know how kids can be with driving.

2v's sound amazing too man. I absolutely love how my car sounds, it's the best setup for 2v's, IMHO. It's loud, and sounds a hell of a lot meaner than what it is lol. Just find a nice GT and do some tasteful mods to it, then get a Cobra later on. I plan on selling my GT this winter and picking up a 04 Comp Orange Cobra after it sells. Like someone's already said, step your way up.

And get this exhaust setup lol, sounds even better in person. Magnapacks with an O/R X
[youtube_browser]UosP0ltZuvw[/youtube_browser]

I've had some near accidents as well, these cars can get away from you quick, and a Cobra would be even worse. Good thing I knew not to panic in the situation though.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree...a ton of good advice here.
Here's my take.
Having a high HP car at 16-19 years of age can get you in a lot of trouble. There are numerous studies in medicine that show how the brain isn't fully developed until much later in life and how the risk to benefit thinking at a young age is lacking.
Peer pressure and having a High HP car in high school can put you at risk. By working in health care I see tragic events all the time and you take a gamble everytime you get behind the wheel of ANY car. The pain and agony an accident causes to the victim and family (mother, father, brother, etc.) can be heart breaking and last a life time!
My advice is hold off and get a lower costing, less maintenance safe car for the first couple of years and then upgrade later in life. You don't want to be that kid who is working his ass off only to pay off his car in high school if you are going to be paying for it at 16.
Best of luck kid, keep your dreams high and do well.

Fassssst

Established Member
:shrug: Aside from the brutally high insurance costs , are you even adept at shifting a standard transmission , or using a clutch PROPERLY ? Besides that , you really need to respect the terminators POWAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!!! :bowdown:

Silverboost

Established Member
I don't think it's going to make a difference what the kid drives...he could be just as dangerous in a Prius if he makes that decision. Me personally I would say go for the Cobra and just be careful. You will get into trouble with it and probably rack up some speeding tickets forcing you to sell it. Just keep in mind cost of ownership is not cheap. The tires don't last long, sucks down the gas, and other crap like brake pads, ect....

So just get what you want and be safe. I still can't believe i made it through my first 6 years of driving, but damn it was expensive with all the tickets I accumulated.

Ryushin

Established Member
I didn't even know if I wanted to respond to this thread. But after thinking about it, here are my two cents.

Insurance: The 2003/2004 Cobra is in the most expensive insurance classification bracket. Being a 16 year old male, do NOT be surprised to see $300-$500 a month, with no tickets and a perfect driving record. This signle handedly may prevent you from owning the Cobra.

Maturity Level: You seem to have a good maturity for being 16, but some of the statements about not going on the highways and not going above 30 is in all probability, naive. If you have a healthy respect now, then that can carry you through the learning process.

There are plenty of racers that started out doing serious high speed racing before they even turned 16 and were not allowed to drive on the streets.

The young racer learned the limits of the vehicles they were driving and were monitored and trained by people better then themselves, and learned everything they can.

I don't know if it's possible to temporarily make a change in the tune to allow the cobra to never go into boost. Then as you learn how the car handles, and having someone more experienced then you teach you how to recover the car when pushed past it's traction point on a closed course, parking lot, etc. After a few months of learning you can add the boost back to the car.

It might even be good idea to enroll in Auto-X courses right away or if you have access to a area that you can train yourself and learn the limits of a car.

I won't say you can't own such an amazing car as your first vehicle. But there are a lot of factors to consider. The biggest and most important is understanding that your mistake, either through inexperience or taking unecessary risks, could end someones life.

I've known a teen that had rich parents and got a GT-R for his 16th birthday. He kept himself good and went and raced at the track. Never got a ticket that I'm aware of.

Then there are all the other young drivers that do not do the right thing. Which one are you?

NewDuuude

Established Member
You will forever be messed up by owning a 400+ hp car as a first car. I scared myself plenty of times in my gt, and i started with a v6. Resist the urge!!

-coming from a 20 year old.

Sethsual

Established Member
You will forever be messed up by owning a 400+ hp car as a first car. I scared myself plenty of times in my gt, and i started with a v6. Resist the urge!!

-coming from a 20 year old.
More specifically, buying a 400hp car! If he were to start with little and build it to 400hp, it would likely be done in small increments and allow for time to adjust and learn.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I didn't even know if I wanted to respond to this thread. But after thinking about it, here are my two cents.

Insurance: The 2003/2004 Cobra is in the most expensive insurance classification bracket. Being a 16 year old male, do NOT be surprised to see $300-$500 a month, with no tickets and a perfect driving record. This signle handedly may prevent you from owning the Cobra.

Maturity Level: You seem to have a good maturity for being 16, but some of the statements about not going on the highways and not going above 30 is in all probability, naive. If you have a healthy respect now, then that can carry you through the learning process.

There are plenty of racers that started out doing serious high speed racing before they even turned 16 and were not allowed to drive on the streets.

The young racer learned the limits of the vehicles they were driving and were monitored and trained by people better then themselves, and learned everything they can.

I don't know if it's possible to temporarily make a change in the tune to allow the cobra to never go into boost. Then as you learn how the car handles, and having someone more experienced then you teach you how to recover the car when pushed past it's traction point on a closed course, parking lot, etc. After a few months of learning you can add the boost back to the car.

It might even be good idea to enroll in Auto-X courses right away or if you have access to a area that you can train yourself and learn the limits of a car.

I won't say you can't own such an amazing car as your first vehicle. But there are a lot of factors to consider. The biggest and most important is understanding that your mistake, either through inexperience or taking unecessary risks, could end someones life.

I've known a teen that had rich parents and got a GT-R for his 16th birthday. He kept himself good and went and raced at the track. Never got a ticket that I'm aware of.

Then there are all the other young drivers that do not do the right thing. Which one are you?

Excellent advice in this post and it covers pretty much everything I would have said. It really does come down to YOU as an individual. That being said, there are plenty of reasonably fast cars out there these days better suited to an inexperienced driver. It's like I always say to our kids, there is so much that you have to learn about just driving alone that it doesn't make sense to complicate things even by getting a standard trans for a first car. Don't get me wrong, it is a necessary skill to learn, but just safely driving alone is enough in the beginning. Also, there is nothing saying that your "first" car has to be a long term thing either. Just get a dependable, and affordable car to get you through the "junior operator" phase of your license, then when you get past that, get what you really want and your costs will drop significantly, and your chances of survival with a high hp car will rise exponentially!;-)

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I personally got my first car when I was 17, a 2001 Camaro SS. I had been driving for a year before I got it however. I personally never had any near accidents or anything with it, I respected it for what it was. To me when I had that car in high school, it was more about cruising by slow and looking good. My insurance didnt kill me as my dads name was on the insurance as well. I worked 5 days a week plus school so I was proud to have something like that to call my own. Like I said in the end it was more fun cruising around slow and keeping the car all detailed up to show it off.

In the end its all about what you want and can afford, but also respect at the same time. I appreciated the power mine had but only played around with it out on the country roads. I live in a small area not too hard to find them here lol. My opinion do what will please you and just be safe and respect it.

SPARTAAA 117

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses. After a lot of thinking I've decided to go with a 5.0 Lx first, and then later sell it for a cobra. Is there an estimate on how long it would take for me to gain the experience needed for a cobra? Its summer so I'd be driving around a lot.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
The only reason I would tell you to get a crappy car first, is so that you would really know how to appreciate the quality of a Cobra. I'm not saying you don't know how to appreciate one, but I am saying that having something less desirable will help you appreciate the Cobra when its finally in your hands.

I firmly believe that you can get into as much trouble in a Geo Metro, as you would in a Cobra, and vice versa. It's all about how you decide you're going to drive when you get in whatever car.

I typically drive faster down the freeway in my Miata than I do in my Cobra because I choose to. Get the Cobra, and be safe. Also, you won't have the headache of trying to sell a $hitbox just to get the Cobra. Good luck with your decision. BTW, where are you at in the Bay Area?

SPARTAAA 117

Established Member
The only reason I would tell you to get a crappy car first, is so that you would really know how to appreciate the quality of a Cobra. I'm not saying you don't know how to appreciate one, but I am saying that having something less desirable will help you appreciate the Cobra when its finally in your hands.

I firmly believe that you can get into as much trouble in a Geo Metro, as you would in a Cobra, and vice versa. It's all about how you decide you're going to drive when you get in whatever car.

I typically drive faster down the freeway in my Miata than I do in my Cobra because I choose to. Get the Cobra, and be safe. Also, you won't have the headache of trying to sell a $hitbox just to get the Cobra. Good luck with your decision. BTW, where are you at in the Bay Area?
I'm in Hayward :)

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I would recommend starting off with a NA Mustang first or even a boosted 4 banger (Focus ST) and get use to driving and modding this type of car. I will be honest with you but it scares me to think that car like 03/04 cobra or similar powered cars are being driving by such young drivers these days. It just seem like a bad day waiting to happen. I hope you get into a Cobra one day but not before you have some time under your belt.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I'm going to agree with this post as well. Very well said! It would also be smart to sit down with your parents and discuss this. They know you better than any of us do, and if they are wise/smart parents they'll give you good advice. If they have concerns about you driving a high powered car like this, heed that advice and look for something tamer. And also consider how prone you are to giving in to peer pressure. You may start out declaring that you'll never street race, but if your buddies prod you enough, could you give in and do the thing you swore you'd never do. There's a lot to consider before making this important decision. I always lean towards the side of caution, so I'd recommend waiting a few years before buying a car like the Terminator. You're very young and will have lots of future opportunities for owning muscle cars. Gain driving experience and driving maturity first. I think in the end you, and your family, will be happy you waited. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread