SVT’s Jamal Hameedi Weighs-In With His Opinion of The 2013 GT500 @ The Nürburgring

Mike L.

Established Member
Having much more power on a road course is not always a good thing. The Viper found that out compared to the Vette.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Established Member
Marketing fluff... To his point, look at how many times Jimmy Johnson's crew has been caught cheating in rules fanatic NASCAR. No way that would work in marketing testing, nor should it. I like how it is now, where they may / may not release times on a specific track and if they do, it just rules the rivalry.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Great response. On this side we all knew why Ford doesn't engage in the ring times shenanigans, the video of what the car can do is enough for me.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Seems if you're strictly a road course racer then buy a damn Camaro,If you like to road course race AND/OR drag race then buy a Damn Mustang!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Bunch of dumb posts so far in this thread. I don't care that he sent an informal response and I agree completely with his rationale. Ring times have zero consistency or verification.

It's great to see he took the time to respond! And neat to hear that they had to figure out ways to make more of them. I'm sure the suppliers were struggling to keep up with higher than anticipated volume.

96 cobra

Established Member
If you can't compete, you come out with a well thought out spin to not post the numbers. If lap times were spectacular, they would be used everywhere by Ford's marketing department.

He is buying time until the new chassis is available. This is a terrific motor in search of a modern chassis and thankfully it's coming.

+1... clearly the case.

jontyrees

not a great response at all. "we sell plenty, so why f that up by competing on lap times?" He might as well just have said "yeah we ran it and the times stank, and we don't really believe the other times anyway, so we're acting like we're above all that". Cop out.

Roch SVT

Great response, Jamal! I, for one, am looking forward to that next "slayer!" Seeing what RS and SVT have done with the current Mustang, if Ford let them do their thing with a clean sheet of paper, then it could be another "... great leap for mankind!" Pardon the hyperbole -- if, indeed, that's what it is!

Anybody interested in a '98 SVT Contour with just over 124K on it? Body is near perfect after repairs from a slow speed, slight side swipe by tractor trailer! I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking that!

Darth Racer

Established Member
Finally, hope this doesn't piss too many people off, but I think that GT500 track video is NOT on a stock GT500.

Well, that's just speculation on your part. How do you know it wasn't stock? You could be right, but you could be wrong. Just let the video speak for itself.

sadil

Established Member
Jamal's response was solid. I would love to drive my Boss 302 knowing that it did an awesome ring time, but at the same time, does it really matter? Would ring times have convinced me to buy a 1LE? Quite frankly, I dont think so and I dont care. I prefer seeing race cars on the track duel it out. Its entertaining because you know its (for the most part) fair and equal. Once you hit the track yourself, all that matters is your car and how far your willing to push the limit. You'll have more than enough camaros and corvettes to snack on!

faste92

Established Member
I always laugh on the Bimmer forums when guys talk about the M3 versus XXX...anyone with even a $80k "track ready" M3 although yes it is truly "track ready" minus tires, will still at least do a brake upgrade, usually BBK, and coilovers, so I guess it doesn't really matter what any "stock" car does on the track unless it's a supercar like a Ferrari, Lambo, LFA, Mclaren, etc. in which most purchasers don't even think about aftermarket.

With the Mustang any stock comparison is a joke...I mean how long will the car honestly stay stock? I would absolutely NEVER purchase a Mustang with the means of keeping it stock unless it was a showroom classic like a 67'

Sonny Black

Go Bills!
Established Member
If you can't compete, you come out with a well thought out spin to not post the numbers. If lap times were spectacular, they would be used everywhere by Ford's marketing department.

In a nutshell.

They're making a bigger deal out of it than it is. Just run the car and post the damn time. Your market place is pretty secure.

SD_Stang

Established Member
I think Van tested the ZL1 how did that work out? It lost not by a little either and over time it would have been a very large margin. Because the ZL1's aren't track ready so it makes you wonder what GM was using as it's mule car since every car that has tried to track those cars has heat soak issues and has to pit after a few laps or run slower and slower.

Also in the Motortrend test they mentioned the ZL1 was running consistant lap times which the real world found out was false and the GT500 was running slower lap to lap and when the car pulled into the pit it's brakes were smoking. Randy in that test did turn his best lap time in the GT500 plus the GT500 won in every other test.

Months later we find out that the ZL1 is getting beat by lightlly modded GT's and Boss 302's all over and that they already have a replacement for it 6 months later(Z28)hrowing CTSV and Vette parts at it. Why would you make 2 cars that are going against one another in cost and performance oh right it's GM. They like to spend a lot of money on things that they will be giving cash back just to get off their lots in a year.

I don't think there is even a debate about the ZL1 vs GT500 because the GT500 is more car than a ZL1 by far.

IShb3w

Established Member
So wait, if the RS team and the SVT team have been talking, does that mean we can expect an AWD Mustang in the future?

:pop:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I wish the chief of SVT wouldn't use "lol" in an email. I know an email is fairly informal, but sheesh....

Its a personal message, not a published article so with that being said it shows that he is comfortable with responding like a buddy, imo.

QUIKAG

Established Member
Well, that's just speculation on your part. How do you know it wasn't stock? You could be right, but you could be wrong. Just let the video speak for itself.

That is true, it is speculation. I would also speculate ANY GM car that has been run at the very ring has AT LEAST Dot 4 brake fluid as a "mod." Why do I suspect that?

Well, I boiled the crap Dot 3 brake fluid in less than 10 minutes tracking my bone stock CTS-V at a local road course and almost wrecked. Went off track and had to throw it into a slide in the grass/dirt to keep from hitting the tire wall. The stock brake fluid just won't hold up when tracking your car for pretty much any car on the market if you're pushing hard.

Again, as others have mentioned or alluded to, Ford would be marketing the crap out of Ring times if they had a good time to market. The poster above who said the GT500 is an incredible engine in search of a proper chassis is spot on 100% IMHO.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Huh?

Well regardless of some of the reasons Jamal stated, Ring times do show the buyer/enthusiast what the car is capable of doing.In fact it almost appears to be a cop out as to why they don't publish Ring times. You don't have to worry what the other manufacturers are doing. You just have to make sure that you are following the rules. In fact, do like some manufacturers do and simply take one off the show room floor and run it.

In other words, walk the walk so you can talk the talk.

Did you not comprehend what he said?

Users who are viewing this thread