Stereo Upgrade?

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Greetings!
I've been avidly reading these boards since I registered and have gotten some excellent information here. Many have briefly discussed the stereo we have - many like it and many don't.

I guess I fall in the middle. I like the treble, but the bass sounds very loose. It seems like if you turn it up to even moderate levels the rear speakers sound like they're being overdriven. Bear in mind, I'm not trying to hold my own outdoor concert - I'm not a huge fan of advertising my presence with thudding from a block away. But, I do want clean and clear sound.

Finally to the questions...
1. Is this just a tradeoff of convertibles?
2. Is there a way to improve the sound aside from replacing the whole system? (I do like the 6 cd's in the dash idea)

Any and all thoughts, opinions and ideas are welcome.
Cheers,
Pete
:beer:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Convertibles require a lot more power than a coup. Once the top comes down, you've got a lot of DBs of road noise to overcome.

Some people have been happy by adding a subwoofer. They really can reinforce the base without having to be boomy.

I ended up replacing the stock system completely and I can listen with the top down at 80 and it sounds great.

Alpine/Extant/BA 6.5 Pros all around/2*10JLs in the Trunk with room to spare.

Good luck......Steve

Users who are viewing this thread