Quick Lube Forgot To Put Oil Filter Let engine run without oil for 2 mins! ADVICE?!!!

MysticVenom96

Established Member
I brought get the oil changed over the weekend and when the mechanic pulled the car out of the bay after changing the oil a trail of oil was splashed all over the ground, the engine was ticking very loud and after he relized he made a mistake he put it in reverse and pulled it back in the bay. The engine was running for almost 2 mins without oil and sounded horrible! My stomach was in knots after seeing this happend. He put it back on the lift and put the filter in and started it back up, motor was ticking like crazy for 30 secs then went away. How much damage could have been done? Should I take any action? They gave me the oil change for free and gave me a free auto car wash, do you think thats fair? Please give me advice as I am scared that the damage will show in a few months when it is too late to take action! What would you do?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
probably nothing. during testing, motors are ran for far longer than that with the oil drained out. There is usually still residual oil on the surfaces. The tick you likely heard was from the valvetrain, maybe lifters or something getting starved of oil, but nothing too serious.

I would try to get something in writing stating the mess up just in case you have to rebuild due to low compression in a cylinder or two because the piston rings scored the walls without sufficient oil.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I've seen too many things like this happen in my days at Jiffy Lube 11 years ago.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
thomas91169 said:
i would try to get something in writing stating the mess up just in case you have to rebuild due to low compression in a cylinder or two because the piston rings scored the walls without sufficient oil.

+1

boosted306

Established Member
No thats not fair! You need to take action immediately by contacting their district manager. I would tell them that you want a full diagnostics check. It could have been close to seizing the engine, you just don't know. I doubt that anything was done to it that would cause catastrophic failure but I would still get this in the works just in case. Something stating the event in writing to document would be a good start. After that I would have the compression checked like the other guys are saying. It could have easily scored the cylinder walls so badly that from here on out it will push oil past the rings. I would have flipped if that would have been the case for me.

I took my Ford F-250 in for a few things and the mechanics didn't screw my oil filter cap in place. If my motor goes, their replacing it. It wasn't dry like yours was though, just 2 quarts low for 100 miles.

Last edited:

MysticVenom96

Established Member
I went to the ford dealer today to get an estimate of a new engine, they quoted me $4300+ Tax. They said they couldnt determine if there was any damage unless they do a complete tear down. Is there any legal/small claims court action I could take for potential damage to the engine?

Thump_rrr

Established Member
A complete teardown is not necessary to determine if there is any damage.

I would have the oil pan dropped and the main bearings checked.

They can also remove the plugs and use a boroscope to determine if the cylinder walls are scored along with a compression test.

Yes you will be spending several hundred dollars to get this done but it would suck if the car you have properly maintained was damaged by someones inattention.

Svets96

Established Member
I am so sick of these places. I hear this at least every couple of months. I do all the oil changes on my truck and car. If I am in a pinch for time then my friend does it for me. Yea I would also get somthing in writing. Just in case because you never know.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
I think it will be fine, I used to work at a place like that. I have seen motors run without oil in them for longer and be fine. Keep it on record if you want, but I imagine it will be fine.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
that_guy said:
Why do people still take their cars to these places?!

I would assume it is the cheap prices that lure people in.

On another note, I am all for doing oil changes yourself, but if you go this route, I highly recommend keeping your receipts and a detailed log of the work just in case you need to prove to a dealership that your car has been properly maintained as far as oil changes go.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Reasons like this is why I don't give a damn if I do it on jackstands, my hands tighten my oil plugs and filters. If I screw up, it was me who done the mistake. There have only been 2 times that I allowed someone else to do the work on my car, one was rear end work which included a regear and new axles that was one of my uncles friends shops, and the other was the machine shop that machined my block and done my bottom end and degreed the cam in. I done the top half. Nothing to me is more satisfying and relaxing than knowing that I know what exactly was and wasn't done to the car even if it takes me a week or is a royal pita to do to the car.

Dusten

Established Member
if it were my car, i would contact the manager. I would explain that i am going to get a complete analysis of the engine(compression test/leak down/ have the mains looked at) and that jiffy lube is going to pay for it. If there is any damage,jiffy lube will pay to have my damages repaired. If they balk, get the work up done anyways, and sue.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I have heard of this really RELIABLE oil change/lube shop....its called My Driveway

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Thats why I always change my own oil. I would tell them they need to pay for any damage that may be done. Oil to a car is like blood to us.

Users who are viewing this thread