Problems w/KB 2.2l on Daily Drivers

GHIG RTR

Banned
Jockcobra said:
I have a right to bash them as well. My bell went out with only 5000 miles on it. It works, it just needs to eat up a quart of Redline 50wt weekly. As you know that oil cost anywhere from $8-$15. The only person with any luck with his 2.2 is RACERAT. He at least got to enjoy his for 28,000 miles before sending it back in for seals. Racerat, you should go and play your states lottery
Racerat is acually chick;-) . I too haven't had any problems with my KB either. The 2.2 I had, was pushing 18lbs and no trbls.

Last edited:

Jockcobra

Powered by BOOST
Established Member
Yes, i did buy it brand new from KB. Dont get me wrong, KB Superchargers are great. But, not all of them are perfect when shipped. Sadly enough you want now that until yours go out on you. And yes overspinning will mess up the seals. I just dont see how you can overspin it at idle or without going into boost like Mike@KB says you can. And if you cant run 18 or more pounds of boost with it safely. They shouldn't print or quote you numbers over that amount.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
My KB 2.2 (second gen) also eats up the oil.

What damage can that do to the car/engine?

Thankfully, the car on the left isn't supercharged so thats one less problem for me.

IMGP0055.gif
:p

But seriously, this is too common a problem to be written off as aberrational.
I'll get my blower rebuilt, but I'm pretty gun-shy about another KB.

charliehustle

Beer Me!!!
Established Member
Good luck Jock with getting this resolved. Keep us posted on replacing the seals yourself. Should be interresting!

Also, I will call you next time i go to ERC, might have to take a container of your hands.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
What makes the seals go bad? I just picked one up that is eating oil too. This will be the second time this damn blower has bad seals. The rotors/Green spider are fine. I wonder if spinning the blower more than 19-20 psi (overspinning) causes this. I'd like to replace the seals myself too if I can. I wonder how hard it is?

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I've heard of some leaking around the seal where the snout attatches to the blower case, is that the common leak or is it another seal that you all are talking about?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
TRM8ER said:
The 2.2 I had, was pushing 18lbs and no trbls.

Same here...19psi, 93 octane, 620rwhp, stock motor, etc = zero issues
with a 2.2L KB and I've been running it hard for a long time now.

It sounds to me like there are a lot of misinformed people here.

Jockcobra - sorry to hear about the troubles you're having.

Jockcobra

Powered by BOOST
Established Member
KB chargers are great, its just that a few of them are having snout and main seal problems way to soon (2000-5000miles). KB should be the bigger one and say, send it back and we will fix it for (FREE). Instead of charging customers $700-$1500 to rebuild it. Yeah, i must be crazy for saying that word (FREE). But, they just put everything on the customers. And if it's just a few of them having these problems, why not just fix them for your loyal customers? Im not on here to "BASH" them. My friend just brought a brand new 2.6 not even two months ago (WARRANTY) and its leaking oil from up under the snout already at just 18lbs. And could someone please explain to me how your supercharger can be running at 18-21lbs of boost at idle? Im still very CONFUSED about that.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
That idle stuff doesn't make any sense. Does any know what the max PSI you can spin a KB 2.2 without having to replace the damn seals every few years or so?

bone

Established Member
image said:
That idle stuff doesn't make any sense. Does any know what the max PSI you can spin a KB 2.2 without having to replace the damn seals every few years or so?
james at kb said it was safe even to run 21 lbs

Jockcobra