Not allowed to pump our own gas..

svtfordracing01

SilverStorm
Established Member
Being from the great state of OR, we aren't "allowed" to pump our own gas. Not sure if it's technically illegal or not. Anyone that has traveled here, knows we have gas station attendants that pump gas for you. Never have I run into any sort of problem/issue before until tonight. I pulled up, told the guy, "Fill with premium please." After I heard it start pumping for about 30 seconds (give or take) I looked over and saw that I was only paying $3.79. Mind you, Premium 92 octane up here ranges from $4.05-$4.20. So I opened my door and told him he was filling the tank with regular 87 octane. He quickly stopped it, but pumped about 5 gallons into my tank which only had 2-3 gallons left in it. He grabbed a bottle of octane booster, (the label said it was safe for turbo's and SC'ers) and put that in before filling the rest of the tank, about 16 gallons with premium. Does anyone here see a problem with that? I'm guessing I should probably just stay out of boost until I run this tank pretty dry. Sorry for the long read and maybe an overreaction on my part. Let me know what you guys think...

On a positive note, I just proposed to my girlfriend of almost 5 years three nights ago! :rockon:

svtfordracing01

SilverStorm
Established Member
Sadly, yes. We've lived here for 10 years and aren't allowed to pump our own gas. It's nice on cold and wet days, but most of the time its inconvenient because there is usually only 1-2 guys working the pumps.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
it's quite nice, when it's cold and raining (which is most of the time) just hand the credit card over etc and tell them what you want.. also, it gives high school kids a great job..

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Do the state representatives of Oregon think people are too stupid to pump their own gas? I get the feeling this could be trendy. Good lord!

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
You won't have any problems. Just keep the boost under about 3-4psi max, until this tank is run down low and refilled with something better.

Rich

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^^

What he said.

Some places (if not all) of New Jersey is the same way. Going up there for the NHRA event in Englishtown sucks. 20 pumps with only one guy working the entire station. It once took me and hour just to get fuel into the tank.:bash:

Congrats on the engagement.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I would rather have the option to pump my own gas considering I have experienced this same problem a couple times. 90% of time people get regular so thats what the attendants get used to pumping. Actually the other night I stopped at the local Shell and told the guy "fill it with premium" He says "Huh? Whats premium? We got V-power." lol

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
jersey is the same way and the 2 times ive gotten gas there they put the wrong shit in my tank. i took my GT up there to LBI a few years back and they put regular in it, i was on 95 got into it the bottle hit... and i lifted VERY VERY fast... i was PISSED!!!! next time i went up there. was going to see my girlfriend at the time at school. had to get some gas on the way back and they put 93 in my civic...

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
I woulda flipped out, They would've been buying me:

1. Complete fuel system flush (tanks, lines, rails, injectors with new seals)
2. Fuel Filter,
3. A new tank of 93 octane gasoline.

Then Satisfied I would be.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^^Sure you don't want a Hoogie sandwich or something while your waiting for them to do that???

A little over the top for 25% of a tank of lower octane fuel don't you think. How is 87 octane going to contaminate the seals in the fuel system?

Believe it or not there are people that actually drive their trucks daily on 87 octane.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Yeah if im in NJ in the L i pump my own...... never had anyone bust my balls about it. The attendent does stand right next to me tho. Not to worried about the diesel as long as you pull up to the diesel island.
And yes you will be ok to run it, just keep it under 5 psi. If your really worried see if you can get some 116 or that toulean(sp?) stuff and pour it in
Congrats on the engagement:beer:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I woulda flipped out, They would've been buying me:

1. Complete fuel system flush (tanks, lines, rails, injectors with new seals)
2. Fuel Filter,
3. A new tank of 93 octane gasoline.

Then Satisfied I would be.

:lol1: Good luck with that. :lol1:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
^^^^Sure you don't want a Hoogie sandwich or something while your waiting for them to do that???

A little over the top for 25% of a tank of lower octane fuel don't you think. How is 87 octane going to contaminate the seals in the fuel system?

Believe it or not there are people that actually drive their trucks daily on 87 octane.

:lol1: Good luck with that. :lol1:

I know that it would be safe to drive, thats not the point. I know the seals will be fine, I was being a smart ass. I was just giving an atypical Mercedes benz owner reaction.

The internet is bland, sorry, I should have added some more emotional cues and smilies

Robert Francis

Established Member
I didn't know any states had "gas pump attendents" today or for the last 30 years. Interesting.

Just stay low or out of boost and burn the low octane fuel up and you won't have any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread