My 2-bolt to 4-bolt Saleen S281 wing conversion... LOTS of pics

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
This whole thing started for me when Ron (sLOWDOHC) wrecked his car for the second time and sold his spoiler to me. So I blame him for all of this, and you guys are welcome to as well. But seriously, I bought the wing from him in, I think, early March and it sat around at my place till about two weeks ago.

I wasn’t satisfied with the two-bolt version that it was. I wanted to be able to remove the wing if I ever desired to do so. Thus, my journey began…

So basically what I decided to do was glue a block of something on the underside of the wing, what that material would be though I hadn’t quite figured out at that point. The idea was to just put a threaded insert in the added block and be done. You have to add material to the underside of it because the wing itself isn’t thick enough to accommodate a threaded insert where they would need to be.

The first time I mounted the wing right away I noticed the trunk holes needed to be extended forward more to get the wing to line up correctly, so I went ahead and did that.

drillingholes.jpg

As far as the material I added to the wing, I started off by creating some blocks out of Styrofoam that I had lying around and fit them to the bottom side of the wing, test fitting and repositioning/shaving more off of the blocks until I had something that would work. Then I just attached the test blocks to the wing, mounted it and marked the blocks from the underside where the threaded inserts should have gone.

Test fit of the Styrofoam pieces…

styrofoam%20test%20piece.jpg

Now, where my Father and I work, back in the engineering shop we have some huge chunks of polyurethane. So last Friday my Father took the mock up Styrofoam blocks out there and he and the head engineer recreated them into polyurethane blocks for me.

The car went to my body guy on Monday. He was actually telling me about how he accidentally didn’t get one of the blocks in the correct place the first time he glued them down. He said he had to take an air chisel to get it off to correctly reposition it. The glue was that strong. He tells me it is higher than aircraft grade. But in his words “that son of a bitch ain’t going anywhere…”

I got everything back this afternoon, and brought the car home during my lunch hour. I just had to make up some correct length studs (they’re infinitely better than using bolts, imo) and mounted the spoiler late this evening. I’m very pleased with how it fits now and the end result/look for the car is amazing…

The wing when I got it back... paint was PERFECT

entirewing.jpg

Check it out, Ron. No more bumps…

smooth.jpg

What the underside looks like…

underside1.jpg

Wing sits perfectly flush… no problems at all

blocks1.jpg

blocks.jpg

Finally installed. They’re crummy pictures but daylight was fading fast. At any rate, say hello to the (that I know of) worlds first 2 bolt to 4 bolt converted S281 spoiler :p

spoiler1.jpg

spoiler2.jpg

spoiler3.jpg

spoiler4.jpg

spoiler5.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaalso, just thought I’d throw this in, I had them repaint my front bumper too. It was nasty, the previous owner... I don't know what they did to it. I also had them fill in the license plate holes. It's a virgin bumper once again... It is nice to not have to take pictures in certain ways to hide blemishes on your car.

Before:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Without the bumper cover… lol

3.jpg

After:

This is the second time in three years of owning this car that I've taken a picture of it from this angle... hehe

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

bumper3.jpg

bumper4.jpg

I’m so satisfied with the way the car looks nice. The only other thing I need to make me happy is springs, and those hopefully will be on in about a month…

So that's my story. And some people told me it wasn't worth it or couldn't be done. It was relatively easy to be honest...

95cobby

Established Member
Looks awesome man! You did a great job on that! :thumbsup:

And good thing you got that front bumper repainted, it looked horrible!!

pottsy

Established Member
Dude that seriously looks awesome, I am definitely interested in doing that with mine now. That looks like a much cleaner install than mine. Seems like a lot of work, but it looks to be worth it. If you don't mind me asking...how much was it to have the custom urethane work done?

Looks nice, can't wait to see it with some springs on there.... :thumbsup:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Thanks guys :)

To answer a few questions...

badass98svt - They're actually not inserts. It's just what I would call pinstriping tape that outlines the letters. I like it a lot. It noticable but yet very subtle. I've also yet to see another car that has done the same thing so it is a bit unique as well.

bumper%20lettering.jpg

Pottsy - To have the urethane blocks made up didn't cost me a cent. My Father is good friends with the engineers out where we work so they just did it as a favor. I can't imagine it would cost a great deal though. You're only talking about two blocks that are about the size of a hockey puck each. My Father said it took he and the engineer about 45 minutes to get them correctly shaped to match the template styrofoam blocks I made earlier. So, whatever the material would cost plus an hours worth of labor. And really, shaping the urethane is something you could easily do yourself. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Great job dude, I am thinking about that wing more seriously now, the more i see it the more i love it.

great job with that pin stripping on the COBRA too, very unique!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i like that pinstriping too. nice and subtle. wonder how mine would look outlined in chrome? hmmmmmmm...

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
How much did the front bumper alone cost you to repaint? I know what you mean by avoiding taking pictures of the front of your car because of a bad front bumper because mine is loaded with rock chips. Its been something I've been meaning to do since I purchased the car.

Paul

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
grandestang said:
How much did the front bumper alone cost you to repaint? I know what you mean by avoiding taking pictures of the front of your car because of a bad front bumper because mine is loaded with rock chips. Its been something I've been meaning to do since I purchased the car.

Paul

I'm not really sure, the quote I got wasn't piece by piece just an overall what it would cost. However, about a year ago I did get an estimate from another place to have it fixed and they quoted me at $300, and that shop always estimates high because the owner always talks about how he doesn't want to give you a low price and end up having it cost more.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I had a little problem Friday night where my S281 wing sort of… broke. As it turns out, the blocks I had glued to the wing were actually polyethylene and not polyurethane and they would not bond to the glue at all. So they kept falling off. The glue was bonding the wing excellently though.

My Father and I this weekend made some new blocks out of some high density rubber we got out at work, much like tire rubber actually, and those ended up working out great.

So, I was pretty upset about that the entire weekend, especially yesterday when I got the wing back from the body shop and it had what I thought was a HUGE gash in the top of it. I saw that and my heart dropped. I don’t think I had felt any lower in a long time. After all the time, and all the money invested and all the frustration and then that. I wasted my entire lunch hour messing with it and the blemish actually turned out to be some really disgusting adhesive of some sort, which took me the better part of 20 flippin’ minutes to clean off with a clay bar but did eventually come off and now you can’t even tell it was there. Disaster adverted.

Honestly though, the wing fits even better now than it did the first time around. I can't even get the tip of my pinky under the crabclaw area that extends over the fender. It's been a headache here and there, but it has DEFINATELY been worth it.

venomous99

Established Member
guys, i just got my 2 bolt saleen wing. the ends of the wing tend to lay flat vs what i see here with the tips pointing more downward. it appears that id have to apply a good amount of pressure on the ends near the trunk lid to get the tips of the spoiler to be closer to the body.
im hoping some really strong holding tape would do the trick.
the way the wing sits now it sorta reminds me of a steeda wing...yuck

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
venomous99 said:
guys, i just got my 2 bolt saleen wing. the ends of the wing tend to lay flat vs what i see here with the tips pointing more downward. it appears that id have to apply a good amount of pressure on the ends near the trunk lid to get the tips of the spoiler to be closer to the body.
im hoping some really strong holding tape would do the trick.
the way the wing sits now it sorta reminds me of a steeda wing...yuck

There's an easy fix for that. Put it on the car and use a heat gun on the ends of it until it forms to the body like you want, or let it sit in the hot sun for a period of time if you're comfortable using a heat gun.

I had my body shop use a heat gun on mine, came out perfect.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Tabres, Im glad it all worked out for you man. Your car looks awsome, even more with the new wing. Those pinstripings looks sooo good too, and like you said no one else has them. I'd throw some springs on there though, stock it sits waaaay too high. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread