Just witnessed a nasty car-on-cycle accident

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
The wife and I were driving home from the grocery store, we were in downtown Louisville on a main road. We were travelling at about 35-40 mph on a 35mph road and a newer model Jeep Compass was maybe 50 feet ahead travelling a little faster.

We were slowing down for a red light at an intersection when I saw a guy on a yellow Vespa-type scooter approaching the intersection from the left on the perpendicular street.

My focus was on him since we were already slowing down for the light, so I wasn't focusing on the Jeep ahead of me too much.

Apparently the Jeep driver wasn't paying attention to the red light because the next thing I knew the yellow scooter I was watching got smashed hard. The driver hit the windshield (looked like his helmet hit the passenger side) and then he flew over the car like a rag doll and landed face down in the street.

I put on the hazards and parked the car in the intersection. I called 911 while we went running up and handed the phone to my wife.

The guy was unconscious for about 3 or 4 minutes, he was breathing the whole time but his pulse wasn't very strong. He was wearing full leathers and an open faced helmet - he was missing a few teeth and had nearly bitten his tongue off. He also had a compound fracture of his right leg and his right boot was across the street. He was bleeding a moderate amount but didn't seem too severe, at least no arterial bleed from his leg that I could see.

The wife and I kept him immoblized until EMS showed up, he appeared stable and fortunately didn't need CPR. A level 1 trauma hospital was only a few blocks away and EMS showed up within just over 5 minutes or so. I think the guy will be ok but he sure was in a lot of pain.

The driver of the Jeep was flipping out, 3 other people were in the car and I'm guessing she might have been a bit distracted and just ran the light.

Shitty day for a few people. My wife is a nurse and I'm a third year med student - I think we did ok but we don't have a CPR barrier in her car nor do we have gloves so we may have been in a bit of trouble if he had needed CPR. I think I'll be buying a couple items today from Amazon.

Last edited:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
The wife and I were driving home from the grocery store, we were in downtown Louisville on a main road. We were travelling at about 35-40 mph on a 35mph road and a newer model Jeep Compass was maybe 50 feet ahead travelling a little faster.

We were slowing down for a red light at an intersection when I saw a guy on a yellow Vespa-type scooter approaching the intersection from the left on the perpendicular street.

My focus was on him since we were already slowing down for the light, so I wasn't focusing on the Jeep ahead of me too much.

Apparently the Jeep driver wasn't paying attention to the red light because the next thing I knew the yellow scooter I was watching got smashed hard. The driver hit the windshield (looked like his helmet hit the passenger side) and then he flew over the car like a rag doll and landed face down in the street.

I put on the hazards and parked the car in the intersection. I called 911 while we went running up and handed the phone to my wife.

The guy was unconscious for about 3 or 4 minutes, he was breathing the whole time but his pulse wasn't very strong. He was wearing full leathers and an open faced helmet - he was missing a few teeth and had nearly bitten his tongue off. He also had a compound fracture of his right leg and his right boot was across the street. He was bleeding a moderate amount but didn't seem too severe, at least no arterial bleed from his leg that I could see.

The wife and I kept him immoblized until EMS showed up, he appeared stable and fortunately didn't need CPR. A level 1 trauma hospital was only a few blocks away and EMS showed up within just over 5 minutes or so. I think the guy will be ok but he sure was in a lot of pain.

The driver of the Jeep was flipping out, 3 other people were in the car and I'm guessing she might have been a bit distracted and just ran the light.

Shitty day for a few people. My wife is a nurse and I'm a third year med student - I think we did ok but we don't have a CPR barrier in her car nor do we have gloves so we may have been in a bit of trouble if he had needed CPR. I think I'll be buying a couple items today from Amazon.

Sums it up.

ItsReal93

Established Member
a huge possibility she could have been on the phone. That guy was lucky you and your wife were there. Hope the guy will have an easy recovery.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Sounds like he'll do alright.
Great job stopping and doing what you could.
I do FA/CPR training for my company and I pray that I never have to do it "live".
I agree with you, buy a box of gloves and a couple barriers for the car.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like he'll do alright.
Great job stopping and doing what you could.
I do FA/CPR training for my company and I pray that I never have to do it "live".
I agree with you, buy a box of gloves and a couple barriers for the car.

Yeah, just purchased a couple of ADC Adsafe's from Amazon. The wife works in a physician's office and I'm always in the hospital so we'll find a few pairs of gloves somehow.

I'm glad I had my phone in my pocket. I shut the car off and ran out without really thinking - I thought to call 911 and hoped my phone was with me. Fortunately it was.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
66speed--------How do you know he had a compound fracture?

maybe the guy was wearing shorts and he said he was a 3rd yr med student. noodle leg?

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
How do you know he had a compound fracture?

I could see it. He was wearing full leather but his foot was rotated about 90 of where it should have been. I pulled his pant leg up an saw the proximal portion of his tibia.

Last edited:

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
If it turns out she was texting or on the phone, and police get that info from a passenger or the driver herself, i hope that bitch gets sent to prison for many years... Very sad since this could of been easily avoided.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
If it turns out she was texting or on the phone, and police get that from a passenger, i hope that bitch gets sent to prison for many years... Very sad since this could of been easily avoided.

Something was up. She not only ran the light, but I didn't see her brake lights flash and she didn't swerve. I don't think she saw him at all.

Last edited:

Crimson2v

Established Member
Hope the guy is alright, good job for stopping and helping. It is scary out there driving in a car, I could not imagine driving a motorcyclye.

Crimson2v

Established Member
If it turns out she was texting or on the phone, and police get that info from a passenger or the driver herself, i hope that bitch gets sent to prison for many years... Very sad since this could of been easily avoided.

Hopefully justice will be served if that's the case. However in N.C. there was a drunk driver who plowed into a woman, he was going over 80 mph in a 45 and ran a red and killed the poor girl. He was just sentenced to 3-4yrs, he could have recieved up to 24yrs, but they did not find him guilty of second degree murder. I do not feel like justice was served in this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread