Gas guage hits empty way faster than it use to

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
When I had a catback and intake I burned up a whole tank of gas in 110 kms!! Mind you I was at an ontrack event. So I filled her up again and burned another tank in the afternoon. Just goes to show you how much more fuel you burn at WOT.

However, since I added an upper and a port etc. I have noticed my gas mileage is considerably worse than it used to be. As expected because I am burning more fule to make power - no free lunches to be had.

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
It would seem that some one is stealing your fuel, wouldn’t surprise me with the price of gas

Last edited:

Black04SC5.4L

Chris is slow!!!!
Established Member
i am not buying the 388 miles to a tank with 1/8 tank left... ...now 288 with 1/8 of a tank sounds more like it... i did this driving from vegas to so cal... drove like speed limit leon... ripped on it twice to pass people and i got 280 miles with 1/8 tank left.. 388 with a 1/8 tank only seems possible in a dream. Kept the crusing R's below 2k. BUT yes.. when the guage gets to 1/4 of a tank it seems to fal on its face the red end of empty. I did manage to run it dry once... it will not run out til it is pretty much passed the red.. but do not do it.. i do not know why i did.. peace.. this of course is in a 03 cobra with 2.9 pulley and MAF system.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
xenodragon said:
I know our cars dont get the best gas mileage but when i use up 1/4 tank going 25-30 miles in 5/6th gear on the highway thats a little ridiculous. I didnt even hit boost once. I have basic mods 2.93 upper, exhaust, intake thats it. Would a fuel filter be the cause of this? I have been using premium gas 92 octane. I have tried different gasoline types as well to see if it was just some shitty gas that i got, but it has been doing this all the time now.

The other night we were out crusing and i had almost a full tank, couldnt have gone more than 70 miles and the empty light went on. I probably went WOT 1-2 times nothing hard.

No lights are coming on saying I have a problem. My mods are not new and havnt had this issue before. Any suggestions?

Personally I think the prices of the gas went way up while the quality of the gas went way down. I noticed my car too since the gas went over $3.00 a gallon has been consistently getting about 3 miles / gallon less than before.

I think the refineries are sandbagging us on the gas quality while they butt-f*ck us on the price.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Black04SC5.4L said:
i am not buying the 388 miles to a tank with 1/8 tank left... ...now 288 with 1/8 of a tank sounds more like it... i did this driving from vegas to so cal... drove like speed limit leon... ripped on it twice to pass people and i got 280 miles with 1/8 tank left.. 388 with a 1/8 tank only seems possible in a dream. Kept the crusing R's below 2k. BUT yes.. when the guage gets to 1/4 of a tank it seems to fal on its face the red end of empty. I did manage to run it dry once... it will not run out til it is pretty much passed the red.. but do not do it.. i do not know why i did.. peace.. this of course is in a 03 cobra with 2.9 pulley and MAF system.

I just bought a 2004 Lightning from a guy in the Chicago Area and drove it back to Lake Havasu City, AZ, almost exactly 2000 Miles and I got 17 MPG, which equated to about 360 miles on a tank with about 1/8 remaining when I filled up.

Now on my Cobra, 360 Miles on a tank with 1/8 left is a fantasy, 260 would be wishful thinking.

Last edited:

GunsGoBang

Established Member
Driving my car home from texas i used cruise controle from when i got on the highway to the next gas station and i got 290 three consecutive time with a little less than an 1/8th of a take left. this is seriously almost 100% cruise controle at 70 mph. 388 is not possible

Edit: this is also with NO a/c and ZERO boost because it was tuned for 93 and i could only get 91

Last edited:

Black04SC5.4L

Chris is slow!!!!
Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
I just bought a 2004 Lightning from a guy in the Chicago Area and drove it back to Lake Havasu City, AZ, almost exactly 2000 Miles and I got 17 MPG, which equated to about 360 miles on a tank with about 1/8 remaining when I filled up.

Now on my Cobra, 360 Miles on a tank with 1/8 left is a fantasy, 260 would be wishful thinking.

yes the 388 i was referring that someone said they got in a cobra seemed out of reach... 288 is what i accomplished in the cobra but never 388.. dream on on that!!

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
My 4 cyl Accord gets 350 miles to the tank....I don't see and Terminator getting of 300 to the tank. My car stays full for like 50 miles, then from 3/4 to 1/8 seems to go in about ten minutes! If i get around 200 to the tank, I'm pretty happy.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Nicky P 03 SVT said:
My 4 cyl Accord gets 350 miles to the tank....I don't see and Terminator getting of 300 to the tank. My car stays full for like 50 miles, then from 3/4 to 1/8 seems to go in about ten minutes! If i get around 200 to the tank, I'm pretty happy.

are you even pullied yet? yea mines the same way but i have to admitt im not suprised... i do have 480+/500+ power :D

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
I've gone over 200 miles three times before the light comes on in a year and a half, and all three times were on longer trips on the highway. I usually see about 185 miles when the light comes on...

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Pete's 03 said:
I've gone over 200 miles three times before the light comes on in a year and a half, and all three times were on longer trips on the highway. I usually see about 185 miles when the light comes on...

Now I don't feel so bad b/c since my pulley swap my mileage sucks.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
ViciousJay said:
are you even pullied yet? yea mines the same way but i have to admitt im not suprised... i do have 480+/500+ power :D

Not pullied yet...all of the shops in my area are 2-3 months back logged!:poke:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
This is the first mileage thread where I think the real mileage of the Cobra has been discussed.... 12-13 or so around town and maybe 20 on the highway. The last one I read it seemed like guys were driving V-6 cars the way they were discussing mileage.... I really thought there was something wrong with my tune. I recently had Jerry W from SCT fame tune my car and discussed mileage with him and even he said 12 around town is typical. Maybe the issue here is unpullied cars.... never had the engine in the car in stock trim so I wouldn't know... any of you other guys see a big difference in mileage when pullied... SVTkel reported a significant drop.

Users who are viewing this thread