Engine Builders in NE

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Just relocated to Maine and it's about time for a complete rebuild on my 03. Looking to go .020 over, new pistons, etc. etc. Might even go for some head work + cams if the checkbook allows.

Any you guys have good/bad experiences with anyone up here? I'd rather not trailer the car all the way to Michigan or Florida if there is someone close who is good.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Cheers,
Pete
:beer:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
I know a guy you might want to talk to....Andy Jeffery @ Powerhouse Machine cel# 508-328-9884 he's in Ma. south of Boston.

your dyno sheet looked a little lean there in the mid range....

Dave

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Thanks Dave! I'll give him a shout. The little bit of lean in the midrange might just be the source of my problems - that and the fact that I like to drive it like I stole it... :rolling:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
p3pete said:
Thanks Dave! I'll give him a shout. The little bit of lean in the midrange might just be the source of my problems - that and the fact that I like to drive it like I stole it... :rolling:

That was dynoed at Steigemierer? did you upgrade your MAF cuz it looks like you were pegging your meter. Ever datalog the MAF_V? who tuned it?

Dave

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Yep - dyno'ed when Apten and Steigemeier were in business together in St. Louis. Drove up there one day with the stock pulley and 416 rwhp (full exhaust +CAI) and came back with 504 rwhp (2.76/ported+flash tune). Steige guys were awesome as was Apten.

Brian (of Apten) tuned it. I don't blame him for anything though - I was shooting for the magic 500 number and it did last for awhile. We talked about the a/f creeping up towards the high end but at that time there really wasn't anything on the market yet as far as MAFia, BA, etc. unless I went Pro-M (didn't want go there based on some trusted input). Part of the rebuild will include a BA 2400 (or 2800 - haven't decided) etc. I've data-logged the MAF voltage a couple times with my auto-tap and it does hit 5v - sometimes and only above 6300 or so. I set the raptor at 6200 and threw the dice.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not too upset about doing the rebuild - it will support the eventual mods I'm hoping to do (whipple/spray+supporting fuel mods). I'm going to try to get this done during the Winter months when I'm hearing they get some snow up here - so she'll be ready to come out in Spring.
Thanks for the thoughts/ideas - keep them coming.
Cheers,
Pete

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
TTA89 said:
Whats wrong with the motor?

Hearing some noises that DEFINITELY shouldn't be hearing - sounds like a piston (or two) is hurt. Pretty good amount of blue smoke on start up that goes away after a minute or two, rough idle (sometimes). I'm going to do a leakdown/compression to try to narrow it down...

TTA89

Established Member
Back in the "old" days before all the cool shit that SCT and Diablosport have now there was alot of abortion tuning going on. Your car was probably tuned by changing the fuel tables which will change your A/F with weather and boost ect.

I bought my car out of Mississippi in May of this year, it was tuned by Chris Johnson from SCT on a dyno but was tuned the same way, it was fine for down there and I saw the dyno sheet with decent A/F curve.

I drove the car home easy, the next day I was able to bring it up to Performance Dyno to check the A/F before I went out and beat on the car. I'm glad I did, we did 1 and 1/2 pulls and the A/F was WAY lean up here in the cooler weather at the time.

Look at this thing.. These motors will take a friggin beating, I looked at your sheet and it looks like 12.5.1, thats not that bad.. Have you dyno'd it since then? If you ran the car in cool weather it would probably be running lean. I bought the car with 8400 miles on it, who knows how long the guy ran around with it like this. I have 13K on it now and its fine so it goes to show how much abuse these things will take.

Thats just my guess anyways :)

mike.jpg

TTA89

Established Member
p3pete said:
BTW - I freaking love the Lightning towing the Cobra - that's been a dream of mine for awhile!
:beer:

Thanks! I love it too! The Lightning is my daily ride! :coolman: Its fun having a 12 second tow vehicle!

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
p3pete said:
Yep - dyno'ed when Apten and Steigemeier were in business together in St. Louis. Drove up there one day with the stock pulley and 416 rwhp (full exhaust +CAI) and came back with 504 rwhp (2.76/ported+flash tune). Steige guys were awesome as was Apten.

Brian (of Apten) tuned it. I don't blame him for anything though - I was shooting for the magic 500 number and it did last for awhile. We talked about the a/f creeping up towards the high end but at that time there really wasn't anything on the market yet as far as MAFia, BA, etc. unless I went Pro-M (didn't want go there based on some trusted input). Part of the rebuild will include a BA 2400 (or 2800 - haven't decided) etc. I've data-logged the MAF voltage a couple times with my auto-tap and it does hit 5v - sometimes and only above 6300 or so. I set the raptor at 6200 and threw the dice.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not too upset about doing the rebuild - it will support the eventual mods I'm hoping to do (whipple/spray+supporting fuel mods). I'm going to try to get this done during the Winter months when I'm hearing they get some snow up here - so she'll be ready to come out in Spring.
Thanks for the thoughts/ideas - keep them coming.
Cheers,
Pete

I commend you on being a pioneer for us all LOL ....J/K I admire your throwing caution to the wind to hit 500hp!

So you only saw 5V above 6300...hmmm. I plan on raising the bar over the winter myself, starting with the fuel system. Then cooling...I'm not sure if I want to give up on the Eaton so soon though,we will see.

Dave

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Mike,
Thanks for the input - it is greatly appreciated. It was quite warm when it was tuned/dynoed in St. Louis. I've not had it dyno'ed since then (I've moved twice in the last two years). She's got 25K on her now and I still smile every time I take her out. I bet you're right - it got lean (probably more than once) and I probably hurt something. Hopefully the leakdown/compression will help narrow it down. Someone wise once said, you gotta pay to play and I've definitely done some playing. Thanks for the input and I'll keep updates as things progress.
Cheers,
Pete

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Davesnake said:
I commend you on being a pioneer for us all LOL ....J/K I admire your throwing caution to the wind to hit 500hp!

So you only saw 5V above 6300...hmmm. I plan on raising the bar over the winter myself, starting with the fuel system. Then cooling...I'm not sure if I want to give up on the Eaton so soon though,we will see.

Dave

Not much of a pioneer - just impatient and sometimes stupid - LOL I've really enjoyed the eaton - particularly with the port/2.76, but I see those whipple/kb/tt numbers and I just drool. Fuel system/cooling is a great place to upgrade - in hindsight, I wish I would have gone ahead and spent the $$ to fix the fuel and cooling when I was close the bleeding edge. When the motor is out, I will at least do the LDC cooling mod. Might have to wait for the fuel upgrades, but since that doesn't require pulling the engine, I'm not in too big a hurry...

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
p3pete said:
Not much of a pioneer - just impatient and sometimes stupid - LOL I've really enjoyed the eaton - particularly with the port/2.76, but I see those whipple/kb/tt numbers and I just drool. ..

True but I see a lot of guys spraying the Eaton an going just as fast if not faster at the track.....I like that but, I could get use to a KB or a whipple or TT too I'm sure ;-)

Dave

TTA89

Established Member
I did a BAP, 60s and MAF.ia this week then put the lower on 2 days ago. Lack of fuel is what kills most of these things, better to be safe than sorry.

I'm not sure what to think about the cooling mods, I have had the predator in my car for the last 2 weeks and I havent seen the car go over 200 degrees sitting in traffic with the A/C on yet. :shrug: :shrug:

Hopefully its cool and dry out, I'm gonna go take the car for a ride :)

Last edited:

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
TTA89 said:
I did a BAP, 60s and MAF.ia this week then put the lower on 2 days ago. Lack of fuel is what kills most of these things, better to be safe than sorry.

I'm not sure what to think about the cooling mods, I have had the predator in my car for the last 2 weeks and I havent seen the car go over 200 degrees sitting in traffic with the A/C on yet. :shrug: :shrug:

Mike,
Nice! What # lower did you go with? Have you dyno'ed her yet? The cooling mods I was talking about was just for the heads - I haven't made up my mind that the aftermarket radiator(s) are worth the trouble for the way I drive either. I do worry about what I hear about the lack of cooling to the back of the heads - and the fix is pretty cheap...

Dave,
I agree - a sprayed/ported eaton is a killer. My thought process/dream is that since I'd have to upgrade the fuel system for that combo, why not plunk down the extra $$ for the new blower.. ;-)

Course I still have to get through fixing this motor first.... :bash:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
TTA89 said:

Heat kills these motors as well....keep an eye on your IAT2's. and if your not sure about the cooling mods just ask the guys who have smoked their #7 an #8 pistons....

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread