C6-Z06 Goes down the "Old Fashioned Way" to a GT500 You gotta earn it!

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
Cool video, The RX-7 was something else! No doubt the guy in the GT 500 was an excellent driver!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Track was Road America last October with the Midwest F-Body Association.

Car mods were tune, front pads and Nitto NT-01's.

Top speed was approximately 145 give or take a few mph? My speedo was off because of the smaller diameter tires.

For all of you guys that say Damian was annoying with his comments, I can tell you've had very little experience being in car on a race track. It REALLY is THAT much fun. Especially when you're a passenger and all you have to do is enjoy the ride. I am the same way when I get in his car for a ride. Our cars are so different (he has a Gen III Mazda RX7 highly modded) we really get a huge kick out of riding in each other's cars. (can you tell!?) ;-) If you ever get the chance to do an open track event, I highly recommend it. Or at least ride with an accomplished driver. It's very difficult to explain how much fun you can have! :coolman:

This was my new car that I took to the track to see what it would do. It performed quite well. We were BOTH very surprised at the performance. Not as fast as my "R" but still a ton of fun! (Well, two tons actually!) :-D

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

t14ra1006smvh7.jpg

Crazy01Cobra

Established Member
That was an amazing vid. Which brings me to my proposition. Since your track dawg seems a little over excited I think you should retire him for 07 and I will gladly take his place. Lemme know ;) haha

But seriously that was a great video!

Crazy01Cobra

Established Member
ph and about the comment about damien being annoying. I wouldnt say that at all since I was having just as much fun as he was sitting in my seat. Its expected.

Lankhoss

Established Member
I got to ride in the shop car for MTI Racing with the owner driving....it would ANNIHILATE the car in this video. And I didn't act all goofy like the passenger. I had a big ass grin on my face the whole time, though.

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
ac427cobra said:
Track was Road America last October with the Midwest F-Body Association.

Car mods were tune, front pads and Nitto NT-01's.

Top speed was approximately 145 give or take a few mph? My speedo was off because of the smaller diameter tires.

For all of you guys that say Damian was annoying with his comments, I can tell you've had very little experience being in car on a race track. It REALLY is THAT much fun. Especially when you're a passenger and all you have to do is enjoy the ride. I am the same way when I get in his car for a ride. Our cars are so different (he has a Gen III Mazda RX7 highly modded) we really get a huge kick out of riding in each other's cars. (can you tell!?) ;-) If you ever get the chance to do an open track event, I highly recommend it. Or at least ride with an accomplished driver. It's very difficult to explain how much fun you can have! :coolman:

This was my new car that I took to the track to see what it would do. It performed quite well. We were BOTH very surprised at the performance. Not as fast as my "R" but still a ton of fun! (Well, two tons actually!) :-D

t14ra1006smvh7.jpg

Awesome vid, dude!:thumbsup:

As you were saying about the excited passenger...
I was at Road America for Vintage weekend this passed September and was lucky enough to score two ride-along's. Had the cars not been so loud, you would have heard me yelling "Oh s h i t!" everytime we accelerated out of a corner. ha ha One car was a 1200lb Ferrari P4 with a Porsche endurance motor and the other was something else, but it was 1400lbs and packed a 700hp NASCAR race motor. Insane acceleration! Smile from ear to ear!

Thanks for the vid!:rockon:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Who cares if the guy was excited, he was having a blast and good for him! I don't think he cared about what you guys would be thinking or how you would act if you were in his place when he was in the passenger seat as they were ripping that course. The video might have originally been for them anyways. Two good friends ripping the track having a blast.

Hell you should have seen me when I watched this video. My girlfriend was shaking her head behind me asking when it would be over. This video really excites me for my first open track event and many more to come!

Excellent video!:coolman:

UrS4

Established Member
Nice vid! Racing at Road America is always a great time.

As far as the passenger's excitement, its easy to forget there is a camera watching after a couple well taken turns. However, after reading that he is an experienced driver with a car that may perform as well as the RX-7 that passed you, I was a little surprised how easily he got excited, he should be used to feeling those g-forces.

Did you know any of the divers in the cars that you passed (GT3 and C6 Z06)? I would like to know what mods they had just to put things into perspective.

I will probably get flamed, but it looked like the drivers of the Z06 and GT3 weren't nearly as good a driver as you. I say this because both those cars should outperform you in braking and in the corners (much lighter, better brakes, and wider tires) and that is where you made up most of the ground.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the other cars or say that your car isn't very formidable on the track(cause it obviously is set up well for road racing events) . You obviously outpower those cars and I would expect you to run them down in the straights but in the turns compared to you, most of them looked like they were on a parade lap.

As a fellow road racer I can see that you are a good driver, your driving lines were very good and you were very smooth in the transitions.

Again, very nice vid. Its always fun to outdrive and outperform other on the track.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
ROFLROFLROFL!!! that passenger was hilarious!!! he did kinda laugh like bozo the clown lol, but you gotta love his enthusiasm in the vid. that vid really makes me wanna open track.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Great vid as always Bruce.

I have to make a trip up there for a ride along.
Make you a deal too. I drive the "R" (Nice and easy) and you can pilot the dragster.

You fun won't last as long but should still be worth it. lol

SHOspeedProject

Established Member
Open tracking ROCKS!! I just recently experienced Open Road Racing! That was a blast as well! But not having other cars next to you on the course takes some of the excitement away. Still DL'ing the vid, as this connection at work is slow, but looking forward to it very much.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
UrS4 said:

I will probably get flammed, but it looked like the drivers of the Z06 and GT3 weren't nearly as good a driver as you. I say this because both those cars should outperform you in braking and in the corners (much lighter, better brakes, and wider tires) and that is where you made up most of the ground.
You shouldn't get flamed but,
I think most know this and most that have seen Bruce or any of his vids knows he can drive.
Most should know open tracking is more driver than car. Hence the reason to start with a basicly stock car and learn it before modding when you just start out.:beer:

thebestofindica

Established Member
I thought the passenger was awesome! :rockon: I get the feeling that he was having fun! If you ever have a passenger opening, Ill send you my resume so I can be the next "annoying" guy! :burnout:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Lankhoss said:
I got to ride in the shop car for MTI Racing with the owner driving....it would ANNIHILATE the car in this video.

I can assure you there are a LOT of cars faster than this one! :idea: I can also assure you a Formula 1 car would ANNIHILATE your Pal's car?!?! :rollseyes What was your point again!? :p

Lankhoss said:
And I didn't act all goofy like the passenger. I had a big ass grin on my face the whole time, though.

I'm sure you're much more mature than we are!? :dw:

UrS4 said:
Did you know any of the divers in the cars that you passed (GT3 and C6 Z06)? I would like to know what mods they had just to put things into perspective.

I will probably get flammed, but it looked like the drivers of the Z06 and GT3 weren't nearly as good a driver as you. I say this because both those cars should outperform you in braking and in the corners (much lighter, better brakes, and wider tires) and that is where you made up most of the ground.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the other cars or say that your car isn't very formidable on the track(cause it obviously is set up well for road racing events) . You obviously outpower those cars and I would expect you to run them down in the straights but in the turns compared to you, most of them looked like they were on a parade lap.

As a fellow road racer I can see that you are a good driver, your driving lines were very good and you were very smooth in the transitions.

Again, very nice vid. Its always fun to outdrive and outperform other on the track.

Being a fellow road racer, I'm sure you're well aware of the driver discrepancies involved in open track events? I have no clue regarding the GT3 but the C6-Z06 I know had race pads in the car because he was talking about them at the driver's meeting with his Bud. I'm not sure about the tires? There's usually 120 cars at an event like this and you really only get to talk to the guys who are in close proximity to your paddock spot.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Great vid and good driving :rockon:

I like the quote "And it turns!" and you just kinda wavered your hand like ehhh kind of. :D

If the GT3 and Z06 were on stock tires, because the Shelby had the NT-01's I think it would pull more G's in the turns, be able to brake later, and get on the throttle earlier out of the corner. It looks like the NT-01's really bit hard on the turn in, don't hear much tire scrub.

The NT-01's have a ton of grip, very badass street/track tire.

But as everyone knows, it's up to the driver to bring out the full performance potential of any car - and the guys in the Porsche / Z06 may not have been driving 10/10th's. A lot of people just go to these track days to have fun in their car, not set lap records - so driving styles vary a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread